Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 AM

565 posts, read 935,730 times

Advertisements

Curious what everyone's favorite battery is. I've noticed our battery is right at 6 years old, and I would like to replace it before it leaves me stranded somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:17 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Interstate or AC Delco

Jasper Hobbs

Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Though I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart for most things, their EverStart Series "North" batteries have been pretty darned good for me and are pretty reasonably priced. Only a couple of companies manufacture auto/truck batteries these days. Johnson Controls is the biggie and makes most of the batteries sold in the US--they simply build them to different retailers' specifications. So, no matter what brand battery you buy, chances are Johnson Controls made it.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Batteries | Canadian Tire
MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Series batteries from Canadian Tire or as us locals call it Crappy Tire

Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Batteries | Canadian Tire
MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Series batteries from Canadian Tire or as us locals call it Crappy Tire

It's funny, everyone calls it Crappy Tire, but we all go there. lol I do agree though, I have Eliminators in every vehicle and have never been left stranded with one. Can our American friends get one??

Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It's funny, everyone calls it Crappy Tire, but we all go there. lol I do agree though, I have Eliminators in every vehicle and have never been left stranded with one. Can our American friends get one??
not sure but they always seem to work even in the worst winters we get and they have one of the best warranties around up here as well

Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
The Eliminators are made by Exide--another of the Big Three battery manufacturers (Johnson Controls, Exide, Delphi), though Exide, as far as I know, remains in bankruptcy after filing in 2013, when it lost its contract as a battery supplier to Wal-Mart.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,826,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The Eliminators are made by Exide--another of the Big Three battery manufacturers (Johnson Controls, Exide, Delphi), though Exide, as far as I know, remains in bankruptcy after filing in 2013, when it lost its contract as a battery supplier to Wal-Mart.
I guess that explains why Walmart batteries have gone down hill.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM

565 posts, read 935,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Though I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart for most things, their EverStart Series "North" batteries have been pretty darned good for me and are pretty reasonably priced. Only a couple of companies manufacture auto/truck batteries these days. Johnson Controls is the biggie and makes most of the batteries sold in the US--they simply build them to different retailers' specifications. So, no matter what brand battery you buy, chances are Johnson Controls made it.
I've read this somewhere else, I think the 2 main manufactures are Johnson Controls and Exide. I've heard JC is the superior of the two, however Exide makes my OEM battery and that thing lasted 6 years in Maine.... We do live rurally though, so the car is very rarely driven for a short time before turning it off, I read this really takes its toll on batteries.

edit: is there any reason to believe that exide batteries post 2013 are not same quality as before?

Last edited by inthetrees; 11-09-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
It's not so much the brand of batteries that matters, it's the TYPE.

Old school batteries that are lead acid type, are comprised of 65-70% water. The reason why some batteries won't start in the winter is because that water has frozen, reducing the cranking capacity and charge.

Gel cell batteries, or AGM batteries are more robust, though they can still be susceptible to freezing. However, they typically will outlast regular lead acid batteries in just about any condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive