Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

I never use my hand brake on a hill, and I travel in San Francisco often. We got hills. BUT -- what I do is, when someone is rolling up behind me, I let my foot off the brake and roll back to let him know I am driving a stick. If the driver behind me is smart, he won't get right up on my bumper. I don't really roll back l when I start, but having that wiggle room makes me breath easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Out of the 6 manuals I've owned, 1 had a clutch with no point between engaged or not engaged. I've driven some earlier WRXs that had a similar clutch from the factory. It's more common on AWD cars because there isn't much 'give' in the drive train between the 4 driven wheels and the LSDs balancing power. You generally won't have this problem on a honda civic.

As for the "rolling back a couple of inches" - well, that's great if you have a couple of inches to roll back, but I was talking about situations where you don't have that luxury, like tight parallel parking spots on steep hills, where you might have a grand total of 18" of space front and back combined. At any point you might only be 3" from scraping a bumper.
Awd and LSD have nothing to do with a clutch engagement point. As far as racier clutches being a bear in the street all it is is a narrower window of engagement. I understand 99% of American drivers have no clue what finesse is, but a truely decent driver has no problem figuring out the engagement point and how narrow that window is and using it properly. Ive never had an issue with any clutch on the street whether it was a stock wrx or a highly modded one, or any other car, even with over 1000hp at the wheels. Just takes a lil bit of knowledge and technique.

A true racing clutch which is about half the diameter of an economy car's and many times not actuated with a pedal is a whole nother animal whether its a mutiplate design or not.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I never use my hand brake on a hill, and I travel in San Francisco often. We got hills. BUT -- what I do is, when someone is rolling up behind me, I let my foot off the brake and roll back to let him know I am driving a stick. If the driver behind me is smart, he won't get right up on my bumper. I don't really roll back l when I start, but having that wiggle room makes me breath easier.
Good practice. I once had a girlfriend who lived in Alameda, though, and once while riding with her she smoked her clutch because somebody on a hill in SF stopped right on her bumper.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
I have driven manuals in hills. Towing, etc.

I have no problem juggling 3 pedals and can take off on a hill without rolling back. Absolutely cannot figure out the parking brake trick.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Awd and LSD have nothing to do with a clutch engagement point. As far as racier clutches being a bear in the street all it is is a narrower window of engagement. I understand 99% of American drivers have no clue what finesse is, but a truely decent driver has no problem figuring out the engagement point and how narrow that window is and using it properly. Ive never had an issue with any clutch on the street whether it was a stock wrx or a highly modded one, or any other car, even with over 1000hp at the wheels. Just takes a lil bit of knowledge and technique.

A true racing clutch which is about half the diameter of an economy car's and many times not actuated with a pedal is a whole nother animal whether its a mutiplate design or not.
Where did I say it did?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Good practice. I once had a girlfriend who lived in Alameda, though, and once while riding with her she smoked her clutch because somebody on a hill in SF stopped right on her bumper.
Perfect. In that situation, you just roll back until you're resting against that vehicle, using them as a wheel chock, and take off.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Perfect. In that situation, you just roll back until you're resting against that vehicle, using them as a wheel chock, and take off.
^ Wish I could rep you again.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01uOxcNyXAI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive