Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

My previous car was totaled for a total loss ( got rear ended )

On one hand it sucks because I liked the car , but on the other hand didn't really want a car with an accident on the record and I had the car for a while so kind of an opportunity for something new .

For now I have a rental car paying out of my own pocket , while I'm deciding .

Last time I bought my car there was a $2000 rebate offered off msrp .

It was in November and I heard that this is a good time of the year since it's the end of year and dealers are motivated to make deals .

When people say they negotiated at the dealer , how much off msrp can you really get ?

I also hear that the margins on new cars aren't much for the dealer ,but don't know if this is true.

I'm debating between a new car and a used car too , but I also heard that many cars don't devalue as quickly anymore ,especially in demand makes like Toyota or Honda .

I am also considering buying a used car that is maybe 1-2 years old to not lose that initial depreciation ( if it's actually true )

Also if you buy a used car does the warranty always transfer to the second owner? The kias have a long warranty which was nice .

For new cars I'm looking at models that are around $20k. or under .

My payout on car was about 14k so it would be nice to get into something around that price that might be newer or with low miles .

Former car was a 2010 Kia forte and had 67,000 miles

The new corolla looks pretty nice , I'm looking for something like that which is reliable , good resale value etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
What deals are available, and how much you can haggle on a car really depends on the particular car, the dealer, etc. A lot of variables.

For something like a Corolla, I am guessing the margin isn't all that high to begin with because it is not an expensive car, and Toyota is not really known for putting a lot of cash on the hood. So the amount off MSRP may not be as great as some other cars. (Which doesn't mean it isn't a good deal).

What else may you be interested in? You can search the web for posted rebates. After that, sites like kbb or edmunds give you average transaction prices in your area, to give you a ballpark for what you should be paying for a particular car.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks I'll take a look..also I've heard of the car buying service from AAA and costco ..they are supposed to negotiate on your behalf and give other incentives too .

Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Thanks I'll take a look..also I've heard of the car buying service from AAA and costco ..they are supposed to negotiate on your behalf and give other incentives too .
You can check them out too. I know people who swear by them.

I do my own negotiating but have felt I have gotten very good deals. I do a lot of research ahead of time to come up with what I will pay, and do not mind taking the time to go to multiple dealers to try and get my price.

My best negotiation was moving a Subaru dealer just shy of $5000 off of their initial offer on an Outback. (I was working a trade here too, so I was banking on them having play at both ends). Other cars you reach a point, and they are clear, their best offer is on the table. (Especially when you leave, and they do not start calling with better offers... and/or this repeats at multiple dealers).

Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 PM

134 posts, read 472,076 times
If you are fine with driving "yester year" car, you can get 2014s for a very good price. Do not buy a Toyota or Honda used, I find that they do not depreciate fast enough to be a value used, especially with current state of used car market. With 2015 Camry due to be out soon 2014.5 Camry should have great manufacturing incentives. I suspect buying a new Camry now is cheaper than buy 1 or 2 year old Camry. Plug in your zip code below and look at local incentives offered.

New Car Deals | Local Toyota Deals, Incentives & Special Offers
New Car Rebates, Cash Back, Special Financing & Lease Rates

Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
If you are fine with driving "yester year" car, you can get 2014s for a very good price. Do not buy a Toyota or Honda used, I find that they do not depreciate fast enough to be a value used, especially with current state of used car market. With 2015 Camry due to be out soon 2014.5 Camry should have great manufacturing incentives. I suspect buying a new Camry now is cheaper than buy 1 or 2 year old Camry. Plug in your zip code below and look at local incentives offered.

New Car Deals | Local Toyota Deals, Incentives & Special Offers
New Car Rebates, Cash Back, Special Financing & Lease Rates

Take this guys advise. I bought a left over 2012 Camry in mid 2013 for a steal. A quick check of Carmax in my area shows 2013 Camry SE's selling for $18-$19K while a brand new 2014 SE is $20,700

Really not worth buying a used car.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Here is what you do. If you can, get an off lease used car. You can save a crap load of money that way, and get twice the car for the same money. Those prices are firm though. Next would be CPO, which have a new car warranty equivalent. I would look at Euro cars with that; they have the best CPO programs.

For a new car, look online at dealers inventory. Pick a color they don't have. Call the dealer, and say you would like that color, but would take a discount for another color. That works. Pick an option that none of their cars have, etc. Brings it down for me 3-6k.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Do you find that values take a big dip when there is a remodel of the style though ?

What did you pay for the Camry in mid 2013?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Here is what you do. If you can, get an off lease used car. You can save a crap load of money that way, and get twice the car for the same money. Those prices are firm though. Next would be CPO, which have a new car warranty equivalent. I would look at Euro cars with that; they have the best CPO programs.

For a new car, look online at dealers inventory. Pick a color they don't have. Call the dealer, and say you would like that color, but would take a discount for another color. That works. Pick an option that none of their cars have, etc. Brings it down for me 3-6k.
Sounds like some good ideas , where would be the best place to find off lease vehicles ?

Is there a particular site or just from individual dealers .. In in Los Angeles so I'm sure a ton of people lease
Is there really that big a difference in price?

The nice part is miles should be relatively low
CPO sounds interesting too if they have a factory warrenty .

Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sounds like some good ideas , where would be the best place to find off lease vehicles ?

Is there a particular site or just from individual dealers .. In in Los Angeles so I'm sure a ton of people lease
Is there really that big a difference in price?

The nice part is miles should be relatively low
CPO sounds interesting too if they have a factory warrenty .
I guess that is a Florida thing, it is hard to find one big dealer like we have here. But any luxury car dealer would have cars that come off-lease, especially around holidays.

CPOs are very common, you can get a VW CC for like 18k, an Audi for around 23k. It has a long warranty that acts as an extension of the factory warranty, so it is a factory warranty.

Something else you might want to look at is rental car sales. Hertz has a lot of car sales. I would go domestic that route. They are around the same price as off lease is in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive