Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,652 times

Advertisements

Buying from auction is not every ones cup of tea especially if you don't know much about cars. I have bought cars from Manheim and Copart and I am not a mechanic. I have had mixed experience with both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Cars are usually sent to the auction because a dealer somewhere has found a huge problem they don't want to deal with, and the potential liability issues that go along with that. You should get the title on-the-spot with any car. If you dont, 99% is a chance of a scam or problems later.
Absolutely not true.

Dealers send cars to auctions for a lot of very valid reasons.

They may have a small lot and only keep a few used cars on hand. They might be a Toyota dealer who only likes to sell used cars that are also Japanese, or not... They might not want to take your trade at a low price and then advertise it at a much higher price (bad for the reputation). They might simply have too much inventory and want to beef up the "cash-on-hand".

Many dealers do not have the title on hand, especially if a lien had to be cleared first and get removed by the bank. That can take a few weeks and they won't sit on a vehicle just waiting on a title to come in.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
This is another scam.

It's Rodney Rip-off looking for Sally Sucker..

Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP listen to everyone, run, don't walk away from this obvious scam and trap that you're falling into. There are 1000's of nice and reasonable priced cars on the open market waiting for you. Go to a reputable dealer.
Any deal like this off of Craig's List is a red flag warning.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Only buy this way, if you really understand cars and know what you are buying.

Play it safe, and buy from an individual or dealer. Always have someone that does know cars such as a trusted mechanic give you an evaluation and opinion on the car, prior to buying it when you really do not know a lot about cars before buying a car.

Some cars at an auction will be excellent buy and you can buy them under the market. Others can be real dogs, and cost a lot of money to make they ready to use. It is not a place for an amateur to buy a car.

The advantage of buying a car through a new car dealer, is if the car is a good one they will give you a guarantee, and will fix problems that you may not find till you own the car.

Buying a car, and not knowing what you are doing like in your case run away from auctions.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 PM

32 posts, read 71,285 times
Default No more auction plans...now looking at used cars through legitimate private individuals

Hello!

Thank you for your advice, I have steered away from the 'auction' offer. I am now looking for legitimate used cars in my budget ~$5000-6000 through private individuals.

I viewed a used BMW 528i, year 2000, with about 105,000 miles, it belongs to a neighbor, and the offer seems legit.

The price is about $5,000 and the car is in fair shape cosmetically. We have agreed to take it to a prepurchase inspection at my cost if I am interested.

Do you think this is a good offer? I am not looking to keep a car for two decades, just something to commute in for the next 4-6 years.

I do not want to lease and deal with the hassle if the car gets a dent, scratch, etc., unplanned, but things happen.

I thought maybe a little luxury would be nice if the offer is fair, but not sure if the model/year/vehicle type is a no-no?

I have seen NADA, KBB pricing and there is some room for a discount, but I am sure we can work that out if I am seriously interested.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks!
Cassie

Old 09-10-2014, 09:43 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
14 year old German car with over 100k miles = I wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole. Sorry

Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
14 year old German car with over 100k miles = I wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole. Sorry
Agreed. German cars in general are expensive to fix. Let alone one with over 100k miles.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP the Kelly Blue Book shows that BMW 328i value in good condition at v$3,100. It's a nice vehicle if kept up, but repair costs on BMW's are very high.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM

32 posts, read 71,285 times
Hello,

Thank you for the advice. Wit-nit, it is a 528i by the way, what would be a fair price for it. in good condition, just curious.

I guess I will have to continue my search...!

Any advice on what I should get:

1) Looking to spend $5000-6000

2) Located in Houston, TX

3) Prefer to buy through a legitimate private individual or source without the high dealer markups

4) Need the car to commute about 800 miles a month, not more, just street and some highway driving.

5) Want to at least have a few years use left in the car, without astronomical repairs etc.

6) I have no technical or mechanical knowledge of cars, so I am not looking to buy a car than I can fix on my own etc. I cannot

7) Good gas mileage will help.

Any thoughts on what brand/mileage/year I should look for any another reliable sources apart from autotrader, CL?

Thank you,
Cassie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive