Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I have advertised cars for sale, my ads always mentioned the color, the model year, the type of transmission, and the odometer mileage--in addition to the model and the asking price. And yet, many callers would ask...What color is it?...What year is it?...Does it have an automatic transmission?...How many miles on it?

It was very difficult to restrain myself from telling these fools to just re-read the plain language of the ad, but restrain myself I did in order to keep people as potential buyers.
But--guess what?
In every case, the clueless ones on the phone were the same ones who never showed up for their appointment to see the car.

I would guess most don't know how to initiate conversation and that is how they wanted to jump start it maybe?

I prominently put the location on my ads yet quite a few ask where it's located. Like you, I used to respond to them to keep them as buyers but my prices are good and things sell fast, I don't need to respond to stupidity any more. Getting an extra couple bucks isn't worth the headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The eye doctor I went to once told me a story of how he went from IL to OH to look at a Corvette. Asked the guy if it was a manual transmission and the seller says yes. He shows up and it was the paddle shift. He went back to IL pretty upset.

Still some fault of his in the sense that he didn't get enough pictures but still.
Last night, my daughter drove for more than two hours to pay $7,800 *with a cashier's check* for a car that had just been listed for sale. It was a used sedan, and exactly what she wanted. She'd discovered it via CL and had several conversations with the seller.

She arrived in the Midwestern town, exhausted after a long day at work, test-drives the car and is ready to make the deal when the seller says, "I don't have the title."

He said he'd lost it, and had requested a new one from DMV but that it would be a few days.

People are nuts.

It would have been nice to know that before she drove 2+ hours.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
People are nuts.

What it is is a lack of courtesy. Some people act like only their time is important and that no one else's time is worth anything.

"Why sure, I'll hand over $7,800 to you right now hoping that you'll send me the title 'in a few days.' I don't see anything wrong with that at all." Some people have quite the nerve!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:12 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,875,890 times
Don't even get me started. I was looking for a manual transmission version of my last car, and there are so many IDIOTS that don't have a clue or something on all the car websites. I filter on manual transmission and usually get several autos or shiftable autos in the results, and they say manual trans. If I had the time, I'd call them all and let them know they lost my business because of their stupidity.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM

226 posts, read 320,073 times
Shoot, if you people are frustrated with new cars/vehicles, you should go searching classified ads on classics. I've been on so many wild goose chases over the years, it ain't funny. Grossly misrepresented, counterfeit, hack jobs, hazzards....you name it.

I even looked at a 1971 Dodge 340 Demon 4-speed with a friend many years ago and the guy sold it to him knowing the ball joints were ready to go any minute and let him drive it home. It popped on the trip back home. Somebody could have been hurt you bastard.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:08 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I've had bad experiences with buyers also. I put up an ad on CL with at least over 20 pictures. Guy calls me up and asks what color the car was....
Sometimes, people do put up fake pictures, or a picture they got off the web somewhere. i suppose 20 pictures should tip them off that it's real, but it shouldn't hurt to ask, should it?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:22 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,739,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Sometimes, people do put up fake pictures, or a picture they got off the web somewhere. i suppose 20 pictures should tip them off that it's real, but it shouldn't hurt to ask, should it?
We'll he could have stared with "I noticed you have quite a few pictures up but just wanted to make sure it was your car" maybe I would have cut him some slack

Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 PM

It's easier to just ask a detailed question that only the owner would know. Like what engine "code" is on your tag/VIN etc.....? What other things you can come up with. Nobody likes being called a liar either, especially when they clearly aren't.

**** YOU buddy....I wouldn't sell it to yas for a million!!.....

Old 09-11-2014, 07:57 PM

The correct answer is "K" guy!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Last night, my daughter drove for more than two hours to pay $7,800 *with a cashier's check* for a car that had just been listed for sale. It was a used sedan, and exactly what she wanted. She'd discovered it via CL and had several conversations with the seller.

She arrived in the Midwestern town, exhausted after a long day at work, test-drives the car and is ready to make the deal when the seller says, "I don't have the title."

He said he'd lost it, and had requested a new one from DMV but that it would be a few days.

People are nuts.

Or needed to pay off a lien to get the title. Either way, no title, no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive