Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This is another anti American thread by the OP that claims we are only the largest world economy by chance. The OP cannot even see how silly this ideal comes across. His claim is like a Denver fan saying the Seahawks suck.

Ford has the number 1 selling vehicle in the world!
With the exception of the Corvette, all of the cars sold by American makers are based upon foundations of other countries. GM's compact and midsize FWD vehicles come from their Opel division in Germany. GM's Sonic & Spark from Korea. Foundations for their RWD sedans come from their Holden division in Australia. Ford's division in Europe/England is the source of the Fusion, Focus, & Fiesta. I'm not sure about the Mustang if it's Ford USA or Ford Australia. Chrysler's 300 and it's spin offs have Mercedes roots while the current 200 & Dart have Italian roots. This isn't about foreign makes being better than American makes. It's about why is virtually all of cars made and sold by American companies are sourced from engineers of other countries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Of course! They're called Full Sized Trucks and SUVs. F150s, Suburbans, etc. No one makes them better.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
I remember someone on here mentioned the most reliable car to date they have owned was a Geo Prizm. Over 300K miles. They lauded it as great american engineering. Of course Prizm = Corolla

But I digress. American car makers are making better cars. Too soon to figure out reliability numbers but fit and finish and looks are greatly improved.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I remember someone on here mentioned the most reliable car to date they have owned was a Geo Prizm. Over 300K miles. They lauded it as great american engineering. Of course Prizm = Corolla

But I digress. American car makers are making better cars. Too soon to figure out reliability numbers but fit and finish and looks are greatly improved.
Actually the GEO Prizm was a joint venture between Toyota, and GM and they were produced by Union workers at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA where Tesla is now building their cars.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,006 times
Default cars

My mother taught me to drive the family A model Ford. Later on dad bought a 1947 Buick prior to my enlisting in the Air Force.
While in Germany I drove a sgt's Plymouth. What a wonderful car and when I returned to the ZI I bought a 1951 Plymouth and for years I bought cars manufactured in Michigan. The flood gates were gradually opened by an English built car the MG. It was so wonderful according to media. It was equipped with curtains but never you mind that these went out during the twenties in this country. The little death trap would only carry a driver and one passenger. Gas mileage was important in Europe but the price of gas in this country was less than 25 cents a gallon. During WWII diesel was 9 cents a gallon. It used to be that most men could fix things that went bad on a car, today even seasoned mechanics can't fix car problems.
Japan would not allow imported cars come in to that country from the United States because the "fit and finish" was not up to their standards or so they said.
I now drive an Olds 88. General Motors stopped making this wonderful car in 1999. It is by far the best automobile I've ever owned. It is sleeker looking than the BMW and other foreign cars. My daughter-in-law owned a BMW and the rear view mirror went bad and it would cost $700.00 to remove it. A friend of mine had the hood on his Mercedes to fly open and ruined his windshield. A new windshield costs $10,000.00.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
With the exception of the Corvette, all of the cars sold by American makers are based upon foundations of other countries. GM's compact and midsize FWD vehicles come from their Opel division in Germany. GM's Sonic & Spark from Korea. Foundations for their RWD sedans come from their Holden division in Australia. Ford's division in Europe/England is the source of the Fusion, Focus, & Fiesta. I'm not sure about the Mustang if it's Ford USA or Ford Australia. Chrysler's 300 and it's spin offs have Mercedes roots while the current 200 & Dart have Italian roots. This isn't about foreign makes being better than American makes. It's about why is virtually all of cars made and sold by American companies are sourced from engineers of other countries
What foreign platforms are Cadillacs based on?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Actually the GEO Prizm was a joint venture between Toyota, and GM and they were produced by Union workers at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA where Tesla is now building their cars.
Under the skin it was a Corolla. Toyota engine and tranny.

So for the sake of this thread, GM did not "develop" the car. They just rebadged it.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

My Dad put well over 200K on a '60s Chevelle before giving it to a family friend. Other than normal maintenance and replacement of consumables it required little, had the original starter at >200K and the trans had required nothing but fluid change and adjustment. DAMN UAW workers!

Last edited by burdell; 09-29-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 10:03 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Your facts are completely amiss.

The regular gas Fusion is built in Hermosillo; the plug-in electric is built in Dearborn.

Mazda did not design the Ford Fusion platform. The 2006 Fusion was based on a stretched version Mazda platform, and re-engineered by Ford. The 2013 Fusion is on CD4, which is a Ford platform.

Those Detroit vehicles sure have been eating Toyota and Honda's lunch lately in terms of regained market share. It's ironic that 9 out of the top 10 vehicles that still use 4 and 5 speed autos are built by Toyota and Honda. It's pretty easy to be reliable when you use 10-15 year old tech and warmed over platforms.
Hey people get your facts srteight unless you know about the auto industry like I do I worked for Chrysler at their Warren truck assembly plant in Warren Mi. Stopl posting about stuff you have no knowledge of. Ford GM and Chrysler design plenty of products at their techinacial centers in Michigan. Also the ford fusion and the mustang are made here also.

United States:Flat Rock Assembly Plant

So read up before you say anything. They also made the Mazda 6 there also.

Flat Rock Assembly Plant
1 International Dr
Flat Rock, Michigan* 48134
United States
EMPLOYMENT
Current total employment: 4,600
PRODUCTION HISTORY
Current products: Ford Mustang and Ford Fusion
Year opened: 1987
Site size in acres: 400
Plant size in square feet: 2,974,000

Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
The manufacturing was a joint venture. The car, the platform, the powertrain, were essentially Toyota.

I'm not knocking joint ventures in cars. There have been many - some good, some not. Ford/Mazda produced a number of good vehicles. Mitsubishi/Chrysler was at best OK. Neither company was especially good.

Most current Lotus cars use a Toyota engine. The first gen Taurus SHO engine was built by Yamaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive