Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is it really a Nissan GTR when almost every part has been replaced with custom made parts? Seems more like a AMS GTR.
I suppose that is always open for debate, and some people draw lines differently. To me, the fact that the car still uses the Nissan powertrain layout (as in it is still AWD, hasn't been back halved, doesn't have a Chevy Powerglide and Ford 9" rear end like so many drag cars do) and can still be driven on the street makes it a heavily tuned Nissan GTR built by AMS. AMS did not make every part they used on the car, so you will have to give credit to whole bunch of companies. For instance, he mentions they are using a Sheptrans, which is a modified version of the Ricardo unit the car comes with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Kind of like David and Golith. Great news for Datsun. Maybe now they can afford to pay their Mississippi workers more than $12 an hour.
That dosen't jive with this.

Nissan to raise workers' hourly wages at plants in Tennessee and Mississippi | Fox News

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Kind of like David and Golith. Great news for Datsun. Maybe now they can afford to pay their Mississippi workers more than $12 an hour.
Nissan says production workers in Canton now make an average of $24.47 an hour, while maintenance workers make $28.49, on average. In Smyrna, the company says production workers make $26.47 on average, while maintenance workers make $30.49 on average

Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You weren't really expecting to find any factual information in MrWillys post, were you?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
There only raising their wages to fight off the UAW.
Not a good reason if you ask me!
The GT-R was and always will be a powerful car

Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I suppose that is always open for debate, and some people draw lines differently. To me, the fact that the car still uses the Nissan powertrain layout (as in it is still AWD, hasn't been back halved, doesn't have a Chevy Powerglide and Ford 9" rear end like so many drag cars do) and can still be driven on the street makes it a heavily tuned Nissan GTR built by AMS. AMS did not make every part they used on the car, so you will have to give credit to whole bunch of companies. For instance, he mentions they are using a Sheptrans, which is a modified version of the Ricardo unit the car comes with.
When I think "heavily tuned", I think a few minor tweaks and some tuning on the dyno to dial in the A/F ratio. When basically every major component is being replaced (made by AMS or sourced from other vendors), the car really doesn't have much in common with what Nissan built and regular people can buy at the dealership. There are a lot of really fast Mustangs/Camaros/Vettes out there that make 1500+hp and can be driven around town, but I'm not really interested in that.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
More entertaining for you maybe. These are street legal cars. Being able to achieve what they can while not being an outright drag car is much more impressive to me than a purpose built dragster.
Bingo. Key word. Street legal, drive to the track and drive home.

Exactly why I m in this hobby.

A few months ago or last spring, there was an event here, 2k14. At Hennessy Motorsport track.
There was literally 80-100 GTRs. From many other states, even Canada.

Most of them was driven here. It was amazing to see the power.
They drove to the track. Hit 10s 1/4 mile. Drive home.
And on top of that. At night, Terrorize the streets of houston.
Which I know nothing about street racing. I usually go home. Be a good citizen.

That's a huge accomplishment

Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Terrorize the streets of houston.
Leave that to the men, enjoy your TV and video games.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Street racing...the automotive equivalent of Ed Hardy/Affliction/Tapout T-shirt douchebaggery.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 AM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Bingo. Key word. Street legal, drive to the track and drive home.

Exactly why I m in this hobby.

A few months ago or last spring, there was an event here, 2k14. At Hennessy Motorsport track.
There was literally 80-100 GTRs. From many other states, even Canada.

Most of them was driven here. It was amazing to see the power.
They drove to the track. Hit 10s 1/4 mile. Drive home.
And on top of that. At night, Terrorize the streets of houston.

That's a huge accomplishment
Yep, I agree. I have been going to the Texas 2K for years. I remember when it started out with Supra's everywhere! Now I see more and more GT-R every year from all over the country. And yes...Houston freeways become race tracks at night. I have a pretty quick corvette but nothing like these 1000+hp guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive