Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times

Advertisements

I just thought about this the other day. I mean the automoble in itself hasn't changed much in the last 50+ years if we're talking about it's basic components.

Everything inside and outside of the car has improved big time, but besides for technology, better NVH methods, increase fuel economy, better reliability, better engines, added features, what else can automakers possibly do to keep improving the automobile when in a sense the cars today drive perfect, handle great, are very quiet inside, brake great, last a long a time etc.... How do you keep improving on that?

The times I've driven a brand new car, especially recently I thought to myself "this thing is perfect in every sense, how is it possible to improve on it"?

The suspensions (braking systems as well) on pretty much every modern vehicle is macpherson strut based, nothing special or truly advanced. Of course ride tuning has been improved tremendously over the years, but when you buy that new car, to me, you're just buying into the new tech, features, and probably slight performance gains, but nothing revolutionary. Styling is a major factor on what drives people to buy something new, so that's understandable.

Brand new cars today drive so much better than the ones of even 10 years ago, so I can't imagine how automakers every few years are able to come up with things to sell to consumers when the combustion engine has hit it's limits for innovations and efficiency and the automobile built the last few years has been close to perfect as perfect gets. Still love my oldschool classics, but I have mad respect for the modern drives.

What gives?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
The best way to answer this question is to go drive or ride in a Mercedes S-Class and then think to yourself, "most of this technology will trickle down to mass-market cars in the next 20 years and will be more reliable by the time it gets there."

The next big thing will be automated or even fully autonomous cars, augmented with vehicle-to-vehicle communication that has the potential to virtually eliminate collisions.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The best way to answer this question is to go drive or ride in a Mercedes S-Class and then think to yourself, "most of this technology will trickle down to mass-market cars in the next 20 years and will be more reliable by the time it gets there."

The next big thing will be automated or even fully autonomous cars, augmented with vehicle-to-vehicle communication that has the potential to virtually eliminate collisions.
Look up an anime on youtube called Ex Driver, see the consant risk never shown in thos future movies with driverless cars.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

The times I've driven a brand new car, especially recently I thought to myself "this thing is perfect in every sense, how is it possible to improve on it"?
I completely disagree. I like the old cars much better for comfort and style. New cars maybe safer and go around corners more quickly however nothing beats old American luxury cruisers for pure comfort. I can afford to buy any new car for cash but my top searches on Autotrader are for Cadillac Devilles, Lincoln Town Cars and Ford Crown Victorias. Most new cars have cramped interiors and the thing in the middle of the front seats is extremely annoying.

I miss driving my 221 inch 8.2 liter engine 400HP Cadillac Eldorado. I would love to buy a large comfortable car like that updated with modern safety and handling features. The only new vehicles I would even remotely consider buying are the Dodge Challenger(despite Dodge lack of quality) and the Ford F-150 Raptor.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Right now automakers are designing cars and trucks that you may see 5 yrs from now. When you go to aautoshow and look at the concept cars and trucks you might see at the dealers soon. Look at the F150 all aluminum truck, it went on display at the Detroit international auto show 2 years ago as a concept also the raptor now look it's being made for the consumer market. All the automakers have their engineers at there tech centers designing cars and trucks and making clay models of future cars and trucks.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:18 AM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Nothing pleased me more than cruising down the highway in my 1976 Grand Prix, a personal luxury coupe. Of course, shocks at 10K, brakes at 15K and a starter at 20K pissed me off.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
Well, if you factor in issues with CVT and dual-clutch transmissions (just to pick one example)....

I'd say there is always going to be room for improvement.

Mikey

Old 10-12-2014, 08:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Keep in mind that auto makers don't want to make a car that last forever. I've seen many cars that "look better" but deep inside are the same crap than older cars.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
My newest car is a 2008 Dodge truck but I have been in my son's 2014 RAV4 so I have an idea what new technology is. Aside from bells and whistles, like pairing your iPhone, I don't see much progress. The engine is a typical 4 cylinder engine I have known since my youth; whiny. After all the talk about efficiency for a decade it struggles to get low 20s mpg in town. And the bumpy ride that is the characteristic of short wheelbase cars is still there. Take away the push button start and keyless entry, I am not sure there has been a lot of progress. If anything, they are selling basically a front wheel drive as 4WD and call it AWD.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I completely disagree. I like the old cars much better for comfort and style. New cars maybe safer and go around corners more quickly however nothing beats old American luxury cruisers for pure comfort. .
Spoken like a true auto-lover!

Seems to me that cars reached their apex of perfection in the 70's. They've been going steadily downhill since. Sure, any new car is a thrill to drive while it's still new. But that wears off faster and faster, as these newer ones are more cheaply made, even if they cost more. Too much to go wrong, and it does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive