Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM
M_M M_M started this thread

62 posts, read 112,633 times

Advertisements

I'm considering looking at some hatchbacks this year and looking for some suggestions.

Looking for an auto, four door, needs to have room for average-sized people to fit in the back, good room for a carseat, storage space, good gas mileage, screen & backup camera. Looking to spend 20k or less and would buy new or up to 2 years used.

I'm not really into cars so the driving experience isn't supremely important as long as it's not bad - fun to drive would be a bonus. Would prefer not to have a digital speedometer but not a requirement. Would prefer some decent amenities with seat positioning, bluetooth, audio inputs and things like that to update from my relative stone age car. My car actually has pretty good sound to me and would be nice to maintain that.

Summary is family-oriented but, if I can afford it or not give up too much, nice to drive since I will be commuting in it every day.

I'm looking at:

Honda Fit - didn't really consider this before because of the styling. I think the 2015 update is better but looks kind of like a small minivan from the side. I guess that's not incredibly important though. Looks like it has the most room for cargo or passengers and best mileage of what I've looked at but not very exciting to drive.

Mazda 3 - not sure about all the options yet and how they fit into the budget. Not a big fan of the screen that looks like it was glued on the dashboard. Sounds like it's fun to drive.

Elantra GT - Not really sure about this one. Already have a Santa Fe which has been fine but not familiar with their other cars. Sounds like it doesn't have the best of anything out of these types of cars but is solid all around. Mileage looks a bit low for the category.

Ford Focus - drove one as a rental and it seemed nice enough. Was a little weird accelerating where it would really kick unexpectedly and the braking was different than I'm used to. Not really interested in Ford usually but thought I might look at it.

VW Golf - would probably have to go used on this one. With used I'm not sure what to expect feature-wise yet or how that has changed over the years. Used to want a GTI but I can't justify spending money on that.

Kia Forte5 - seems like it offers a good value but I'm not really sold on Kia. Looks like the safety ratings might be below the others. I don't know enough to rule it out though.

That's by no means an extensive description of each but just what I'm finding so far. Planning to test drive later this year.

I'd also consider a SUV on the smaller side but thinking it wouldn't work with the budget or mileage-wise. Was also thinking I could deal with a sedan but it would have to be really great in comparison to give up the extra storage space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
for 2015 honda will have a new suv based on the fit with there magic seats design hrv. it is one step down from the crv

Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Why such tiny hatchbacks?
At $20k, I'd look into new Subaru Impreza or Mazda 5 as well as late-model Subaru wagons (Forester, Outback) and CRV, RAV4.
All are family-friendly in size and provide good safety, reliability, and fuel economy.

Last edited by jaypee; 12-31-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'd look into new Subaru Impreza or Mazda 5 as well as late-model Subaru wagons (Forester, Outback) and CRV, RAV4.
All are family-friendly in size and provide good safety, reliability, and fuel economy.
A 1st or 2nd Gen Mazda 6 hatchback or a Mazda FWD/AWD CX7 would be pretty decent as well to go along with your other suggestions

Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
I'd look at the Elantra GT, Subaru Impreza, and Honda Fit. The Mazda3 is nice but you'll probably have to go north of $20k to get the features you want. The Ford Focus has a tiny back seat, I'd avoid it.

Elantra GT has a camera, and a system similar to OnStar called BlueLink, so your techno-requirement is satisfied. Make sure to get the 2.0L engine though, they dropped the 1.8, thankfully, it should be killed with a raygun.

I hear the Forte5 is nice, integrates with Android phones well, and has a nice ~200 HP turbo engine for entertainment purposes, but rotten MPGs. And it is Kia...

The Impreza is underpowered, but has AWD, that helps. It has the world's most boring transmission, but it seems to be reliable. And the back seat is huge. You'd think you're in a midsize.

If you can hold out for another year, Hyundai's supposed to refresh the Elantra line and redesign the Tucson for M.Y. 2016.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I

The Impreza is underpowered, but has AWD, that helps. It has the world's most boring transmission, but it seems to be reliable. And the back seat is huge. You'd think you're in a midsize.
I disagree, the Subaru CVT is one of the best CVT out there. It makes the car much more responsive and no avg driver can shift faster than the new CVT in Subaru.

Which Continuously-Variable Transmissions Are the Best? » AutoGuide.com News

I think most people actually can drive better with the CVT than a manual because we're not race car drivers our reaction time and shift changes aren't super human quick enough so CVT like the Subaru one puts the car in the right power band quicker.

In a tight track, I'm willing to bet majority of people will be quicker in the Subaru Impreza CVT than one with a manual.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 AM
M_M M_M started this thread

62 posts, read 112,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
At $20k, I'd look into new Subaru Impreza or Mazda 5 as well as late-model Subaru wagons (Forester, Outback) and CRV, RAV4.
Other car is already a mid-sized SUV. I prefer smaller cars but am looking for a little more flexibility in that size unless something larger is just a standout kind of better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I'd look at the Elantra GT, Subaru Impreza, and Honda Fit. The Mazda3 is nice but you'll probably have to go north of $20k to get the features you want. The Ford Focus has a tiny back seat, I'd avoid it.

Elantra GT has a camera, and a system similar to OnStar called BlueLink, so your techno-requirement is satisfied. Make sure to get the 2.0L engine though, they dropped the 1.8, thankfully, it should be killed with a raygun.

I hear the Forte5 is nice, integrates with Android phones well, and has a nice ~200 HP turbo engine for entertainment purposes, but rotten MPGs. And it is Kia...

If you can hold out for another year, Hyundai's supposed to refresh the Elantra line and redesign the Tucson for M.Y. 2016.
I'll add the Impreza to the list to check out. Not sure if it would come in under budget though.

I think the Mazda 3 might come in right at the budget limit with the additional features depending on how good a deal I could get.

The Elantra GT looks good on paper but doesn't seem to as well reviewed typically, still not bad though. Will have to try it out to see for sure. I like the look better than the Fit but the Fit seems like it might edge it out in features and value. Also have a Hyundai and it's been fine for 5 years now.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
could add the 2015 Hyundai Elantra GT and 2014/2015 Hyndai Veloster

Strikingly different than any car on the road, the three-door Veloster is that rare breed of truly unique. But what really sets the Veloster apart is innovation. A third door for easy rear-seat access, standard 7” touch-screen display, and a 1.6L Gasoline Direct-Injection (GDI) four-cylinder engine mated to an available EcoShift Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT). Get ready to be wowed by the three-door sport coupe that’s fun to drive, nice to look at, and smart to own. Kick boring to the curb.
source: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/
Ugly as hell and as many reviews pointed out that the Velosters are not driver's cars. They have not balanced and refined. Even a Civic SI with less power owns the Velosters in terms of driving experience.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
Other car is already a mid-sized SUV. I prefer smaller cars but am looking for a little more flexibility in that size unless something larger is just a standout kind of better deal.
Mazda 5 is a mini-minivan and kind of fun to drive. Probably just a tad over 20k.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,766,031 times
I thoroughly enjoy my Mazda 3. It's pretty perfect. Easily fits a car seat and a run to the grocery store, and is fun to drive and offers nice features for the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive