Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 07:23 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times

Advertisements

Went in for a oil/lube job at a local Midas. I have used them before and been happy so this is not about Midas.

Mechanic showed me I had a minor oil leak (2005 Ford Escape, 110K miles) but he was unable to see where the leak was coming from. He said they could put some "dye" in the oil and I should come back in a week and with a special light, they might could detect the oil leak source. There was no charge for this.

Opinions please.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 07:53 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Common problem. Sometimes its something easy that needs tightening or a new gasket while other times its more major like say one of the crankshaft bearings which requires a hellacious amount of work to get to. If its something major often you just live with it or start looking at other cars. Look around visually from the top and see if any "earl" is seeping out like around the valve cover gaskets but I guess maybe you already did that.

Also if its something major,,,you might want to shop another estimate say from a local mechanic shop you personally know or at least get a feeling whether that Midas shop is experienced in more major engine repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive