Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

Know apparent difference in how the car drives. As I understand it the check engine light is programed to come on at a certain mileage to indicate to people to have their car checked. Don't know if that is it but its big bucks to have a car hooked up to a scope and checked out. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM

45,385 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Know apparent difference in how the car drives. As I understand it the check engine light is programed to come on at a certain mileage to indicate to people to have their car checked. Don't know if that is it but its big bucks to have a car hooked up to a scope and checked out. What would you do?
That would be incorrect. If the check engine light is on then something's wrong. It could be simple or complex. Since there's been no change in the car's operation it's most likely something simple.

Auto Zone or such like will read the codes for free. That just gives you the system where the fault is located so eventually you'll have to take the car in to a mechanic unless you can do the work yourself.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
First thing is to tighten your gas cap, that will trigger it in about any new car these days, it may need to cycle through a few cycles to reset. After that if it doesn't go away get the code checked.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would be incorrect. If the check engine light is on then something's wrong. It could be simple or complex. Since there's been no change in the car's operation it's most likely something simple.

Auto Zone or such like will read the codes for free. That just gives you the system where the fault is located so eventually you'll have to take the car in to a mechanic unless you can do the work yourself.
how do they get the codes? Am I suppose to provide those? If so where do I find them?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
First thing is to tighten your gas cap, that will trigger it in about any new car these days, it may need to cycle through a few cycles to reset. After that if it doesn't go away get the code checked.
I don't have a gas cap. Its a Ford Taurus 2011 and it comes without one. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
how do they get the codes? Am I suppose to provide those? If so where do I find them?
They will plug a reader into the car, and pull the code from the car's CPU. The code can be looked up online to see what the problem area is, and then you have a general idea of what needs to be fixed.

Most CEL conditions are related to the emissions system of a car. If the CEL is on, get the code. If the CEL is blinking, don't drive the car; something is seriously wrong.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
CEL for a 2011 car is highly unusual. More often than not CEL is emission related which afflicts older cars. You can read the code but removing the condition is not straightforward. Often some obscure vacuum leak.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
CEL for a 2011 car is highly unusual. More often than not CEL is emission related which afflicts older cars. You can read the code but removing the condition is not straightforward. Often some obscure vacuum leak.
Nothing unusual about it on any car. In general, when something fails, MIL is illuminated.

In general, Sayantsi is correct. If the operation of the vehicle isn't affected, you're normally looking at something in the emissions system. But.. That's not a guarantee. After a year and about 20k miles, I got a SES/CEL/MIL (Service Engine Soon, Check Engine Light, Malfunction Indicator Lamp.. All the same thing) on my '97 S-10 when I bought it new. Vehicle was running fine.. Was a transmission slip code. Dealership was scratching their head, replaced the electronics of the transmission.. Cleared the code, but then 2k miles later, tranny fell out.

That's kinda a worst case scenario.. It's actually rather rare that transmission issues set a code in my experience.

Without knowing the code though.. Spitting in the wind. Just about every system in a car, short of the seat adjustment lever, can set the MIL. Even the thermostat being stuck open will set the MIL.. And the only way you'd notice is by watching the temp gauge. And, there'd probably be some mild mileage dropoff. Evap system is the same. Vehicle will run fine, but you might lose a couple mpgs. O2 sensors are the same.. Generally don't affect performance noticibly, but mileage goes to hell.

Other items, such as MAP/MAF sensor codes.. You generally know something is wrong.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I don't have a gas cap. Its a Ford Taurus 2011 and it comes without one. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Comes from who without a gasoline cap?
I have never known a vehicle not to have a cap for the gasoline tank.

Take your vehicle to Auto Zone or a parts shop and ask them to check the codes, they know how to do it and all you provide is the vehicle.

When they are done ask them to show you which gasoline cap is the proper one for your vehicle, purchase the cap and put in on your vehicle.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Auto Zone does not check the codes anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive