Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 AM

423 posts, read 458,433 times

Advertisements

Hate to say this, but I did not test drive it. This was the first and last time I dont test drive before buying. The dealership sells high end cars, Porsches, Audis etc. Last thing I would have thought was that they sold a car with a bad strut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM

423 posts, read 458,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I'd take it to an independent inspection station, and ask them to perform a state inspection and give you 2 printouts of the results.

Take one to the dealership with you. If they refuse to fix your car, show them the printout and tell that you will report them to the state for falsifying the inspection document (inspection sticker) that they placed on your windshield.
Good idea. I'll try to see if the dealers willing to replace the part. But if they refuse replacing the tires(which they said they would), I'll screw them over bad. Hopefully they lose their state dealer license.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:16 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
I'll screw them over bad. Hopefully they lose their state dealer license.

It's statements like this that make me shake my head. It's not even Monday yet and the OP is already thinking about how much damage he could do over something that is kind of subjective aka ride quality.

I'm sure you already knew is as an informed consumer in this "Google it" world, but this generation of Accord was not known for good ride quality.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Good idea. I'll try to see if the dealers willing to replace the part. But if they refuse replacing the tires(which they said they would), I'll screw them over bad. Hopefully they lose their state dealer license.
I hope they take care of your problem. But you are hopelessly naive if you think YOU are powerful enough to cause a dealer to lose their license.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:33 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
I'll screw them over bad. Hopefully they lose their state dealer license.
No you won't.

A car that age will be sold "as is." A strut and a set of tires is the fix. Shame on you for not taking it out on a test drive. That is not the dealers fault.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
So I just picked up a 2011 Honda Accord with 40,000 miles today. I immediately noticed that when hitting some harder potholes, the passenger side rear strut starts acting up and making the car rattle like a mofo. Then the rear end starts skipping around. I did a bounce test and the rear end will keep bouncing for a sec, unlike the front that just stays steady(like my other car)

The car has a lemon law warranty, it covers basic stuff like engine/tranny/brake system. But it doesn't cover suspension system.

So like I said, I just got the car today from the dealership. They're gonna be closed til Monday.

Should I get the issue inspected by a mechanic first before bringing it over, so I can prove what's actually wrong? or should I just bring it to them monday and tell them about it?

Btw, incase these people decided not to fix the problem, how much do rear struts cost to replace? is it crazy expensive or average?
The dealer is going to tell you it's your problem because you hit a pothole to hard and blew the strut out and damaged the tire, your lucky you did not crack or bend the rim. Struts and shocks and tires and brakes are not coverd on a extended warenty because these are normal wear and tear items. Good luck but get your check book out.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
The car also passed state inspection, which would fail if they actually checked the struts and tires.
Depends on the state.

In New Jersey as of 2010, passenger vehicles are exempt from safety inspections and are only required to pass the minimum as defined at the Federal level which is comprised of mostly emissions.

So a vehicle with failed struts can still pass state inspection.

I agree with most here... its a used car which in most cases is sold as-is. Struts shocks, tires etc.. are also wear and tear items. Need to consult the agreements made with the dealer.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:26 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Tires and suspension parts wear out and need to be replaced during the life of the vehicle. It is a dirty little fact of life.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:44 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Tires and suspension parts wear out and need to be replaced during the life of the vehicle. It is a dirty little fact of life.
Tires do but not suspension. If you really have suspension issues then maybe its time to sell your car and buy a more safer car. Even if its a used car.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Tires do but not suspension. If you really have suspension issues then maybe its time to sell your car and buy a more safer car. Even if its a used car.
Nonsense. Suspensions wear out over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive