Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM

54 posts, read 184,349 times

Advertisements

we are looking to invest in a long-term father son project. Engine tech in family, but not good with body work. We are starting out with $4000 to buy the car. When our boy gets out of school, he will be offered the car, might be able to take it to prom etc.

The great debate is older like mid 60s or newer like mid 90s. Everything up this way is always rusted from salt. It seems like a lot if the newer cars are so mass produced that they will never have the cool factor. Yet the older cars (67 impala, 71 grabber) seems to have a horrible time finding parts or there nada value is nothing close to asking prices. For instance, a 90% rustfree grabber project is $4000 and nada classic has it as $2500. We've also considered the 5.0 mustangs, mid 90s firebird, and early 90s camaro. Any suggestions, towards going older or newer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,341 times
Huge aftermarket and reproduction parts availibility for 60's-70's Mustang and Firebird/Camaro. Can find a solid southern car in your budget to start with and basically buy whatever you'll need for it along the way. Sheetmetal, trim, interior, lights, etc are all available reproduction. These cars are also simpler mechanically, so it's more basic for your son to learn on. Also, when complete, it'll be more of a classic to hang onto and be noticed in than something like a 90s F car or 5.0.

Good luck on the project, should be a great experience for both father and son alike.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:31 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
87-93 Mustang 5.0.

Old enough to be uncommon these days, but new enough that planty of aftermarket support plus cheap and hell to modify

Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I say keep an eye on ebay, craigslist and other sites that sell classic cars. I have been looking into getting a 1952 Ford Pickup and the range of prices go from a few thousands for a basket case to $50,000 for a show stopper. What you want is a car that is mostly completed and the owner is tired of it, getting a divorce or needs space for another project. You also want a car that someone hasn't chopped it too much. Pros know what they are doing backyard mechanics might not so be careful that you are not buying someones mess.
A friend did that with a Corvette once.

Years ago I built a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica. I didn't build it to win races or shows but I built it to be a fun car. It has a pretty much stock 302 out of a 1990 Mustang and it is plenty fast for me. FFR has a new car the 818 that can be built for around $15.000 check out their website.

I think your Father Son project is cool but do be careful you don't want to build something your boy can get hurt in. The old cars don't have airbags or traction control devices etc...

Don't forget older JeePs they are always classic, hold their value and there is no end to the accessories.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
VW Beetle, easy to work on, dirt cheap parts, lots of fun to drive.

Last edited by Me007gold; 04-30-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I say keep an eye on ebay, craigslist and other sites that sell classic cars. I have been looking into getting a 1952 Ford Pickup and the range of prices go from a few thousands for a basket case to $50,000 for a show stopper. What you want is a car that is mostly completed and the owner is tired of it, getting a divorce or needs space for another project. You also want a car that someone hasn't chopped it too much. Pros know what they are doing backyard mechanics might not so be careful that you are not buying someones mess.
A friend did that with a Corvette once.

Years ago I built a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica. I didn't build it to win races or shows but I built it to be a fun car. It has a pretty much stock 302 out of a 1990 Mustang and it is plenty fast for me. FFR has a new car the 818 that can be built for around $15.000 check out their website.

I think your Father Son project is cool but do be careful you don't want to build something your boy can get hurt in. The old cars don't have airbags or traction control devices etc...

Don't forget older JeePs they are always classic, hold their value and there is no end to the accessories.
What you say is so very true. We've been looking for months, and have yet to make a serious offer on anything. Usually we just walk due to the fact that the vehicle has had 20+ owners, or a 15 year old tried to play mechanic alone with no training and just crushed any value that was left in the car. We received a dsm once for a truck trade, it was our worst nightmare. Broke at least three times a month, usually while on the road. Cheered when that left thr garage. Our son loves the old crown vic interceptors but he's a little kid. There's not a lot of cool stuff you can do with a early 2000 ex police car without looking like a creeper. The only part I like about it is newer so usually less rust, easy to find parts, very safe. By the time he gets older, I don't see him liking those anymore and we will be stuck with a $25000 tricked out crown vic nobody wants.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:01 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,888 times
If the 1971 Grabber is a Maverick Grabber, I vote for it.

I'd also suggest a Volkswagen, aircooled or an older watercooled. Huge following around those.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_pony View Post
we are looking to invest in a long-term father son project. Engine tech in family, but not good with body work. We are starting out with $4000 to buy the car. When our boy gets out of school, he will be offered the car, might be able to take it to prom etc.

The great debate is older like mid 60s or newer like mid 90s. Everything up this way is always rusted from salt. It seems like a lot if the newer cars are so mass produced that they will never have the cool factor. Yet the older cars (67 impala, 71 grabber) seems to have a horrible time finding parts or there nada value is nothing close to asking prices. For instance, a 90% rustfree grabber project is $4000 and nada classic has it as $2500. We've also considered the 5.0 mustangs, mid 90s firebird, and early 90s camaro. Any suggestions, towards going older or newer?
If it's going to be your kid's car, shouldn't you be asking him what he is going to want to drive?

Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If it's going to be your kid's car, shouldn't you be asking him what he is going to want to drive?
We do ask him, but he's really little so he's always changing his mind. If we choose to go the older car route we would prefer to get one now while there still halfway affordable as a project. If we go with a newer car, we can always wait awhile while he makes up his mind. Yes, the 70 (it's a 1970 6 cylinder, not a 71. My mistake) maverick is a grabber ( needs paint minor body work), one of the first produced with that package. We just don't like the discrepancies between what nada classic values it at and what owner is asking.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
IMO invest the money and see if he has the car thing when he's in his teens. Or just build it for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive