Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
these are wrong. try again.

Tire light also looks like a deflated tire (to echo your CEL sentiment)
What do you mean they are "wrong"? Those are the icons I have on my dash and what they refer to. Feel free to look up the 2010 Honda Civic manual and see for yourself.

Like I said numerous times before, it does not look like a deflated tire. It's supposed to be a cross section of part of the tire. The most important shape or image of a tire is the whole tire, i.e. round. Yes, not I "get" the cross section of part of the tire idea, but it's really not obvious or intuitive like it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Well now you can
Um, no I can't. They only stay on for a fraction of a second.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
What do you mean they are "wrong"? Those are the icons I have on my dash and what they refer to. Feel free to look up the 2010 Honda Civic manual and see for yourself.

Like I said numerous times before, it does not look like a deflated tire. It's supposed to be a cross section of part of the tire. The most important shape or image of a tire is the whole tire, i.e. round. Yes, not I "get" the cross section of part of the tire idea, but it's really not obvious or intuitive like it should be.
Those ARE the icons on your dash, but NOT what they refer to...
It does not look like a deflated tyre to YOU.
Don't speak for everyone, you're -clearly - not in the right place for that.

Quote:
Um, no I can't. They only stay on for a fraction of a second.
yes, you can.
Set your key to IG-ON and enjoy the light show. Again, I get it, it is too complex of a concept.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:36 PM

The "right place"??? Sorry I didn't know this forum was for automotive experts. I missed the sticky on that. I was under the impression that it's for average people talking about car-related things.

I had no idea that it was safe or good for my car to turn on the ignition part-way just to look at the lights. That's why I referred to (but no, did not memorize) the aforementioned manual.

I'm not speaking for "everyone" but certainly for the majority of non-automotive-savvy drivers, as evidenced by 1) the number of rep points I've gotten on my points I've made, 2) the articles posted that show that it's very common to not associate that picture with a tire, and 3) other posters who {gasp!} dared to post here as non-experts.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Man people have way to much time on there hands to worry about who designed the low tire warning light. If you don't like it put a piece of black electrical tape over it when it comes on.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
We've already been through this. It is getting boring, really.

You'd be surprised how many points I've received pointing out that your observation was lacking common sense. I mean, if these virtual points mean something at all.

If you actually read your manual, not only does it fail to say that IG-ON will be harmful, it actually instructs you to use that feature for troubleshooting and few other procedures.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Looks like a flat tire with an exclamation point to me. I am not in the automotive industry.....have just been driving for over 20 years and been into cars for over 35 years. You're expecting far too much from the automotive industry. Do you think an octagon originally gave people the idea to stop? Probably not!

Wait until you get a vehicle that has much more to the dashboard than idiot lights. My vehicle has a screen that I scroll through and one of the screens shows the bottom of the vehicle with 4 tires and the psi next to each tire. You need to know what psi means (lots of people don't) and you need to know which tire corresponds to the number.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You are looking at it wrong. It is a circle with a flat spot on bottom. You have to imagine you are looking at the tire from the front or back. Not the side.
I learned something new today.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Reminds me of the old Kintetsu Buffaloes logo from Japanese baseball.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
You obviously did not read the whole thread. I made it exquisitely clear that I DID read my owner's manual, back when I got the car. The light came on several years later. Absent a photographic memory, I don't think most readers would remember the meaning of an obscure symbol they read about 3 years later, especially when the symbol does not bear resemblance to how most of us picture a tire.
No, you made it exquisitly clear that you skimmed it and read the parts you thought you should. Guess what, you should know about the things in the manual because those things are important. That's why they made a reference guide, a.k.a. the owners manual.

Here's a hint for next time. If it's important enough to warrant having a light on the dash, then yes it's important enough that you should learn, and remember, what it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive