Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 19,722 times

Advertisements

In Texas, purchased a car from Illinois. Have the car and title in hand, but am stuck on transferring the title to me.

The seller says you only need the title to do the transfer, but online, I see you also need a VSD190 and a Rut 25. I'm in Texas, and the website to print out a vsd190 doesn't allow me to input an out of state address for the buyer section.

Very confused and can't find any clear help online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Call the DMV.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
TxDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

Old 05-30-2015, 01:47 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulja View Post
In Texas, purchased a car from Illinois. Have the car and title in hand, but am stuck on transferring the title to me.

The seller says you only need the title to do the transfer, but online, I see you also need a VSD190 and a Rut 25. I'm in Texas, and the website to print out a vsd190 doesn't allow me to input an out of state address for the buyer section.

Those are Illinois forms for use if you were bringing car into IL. The only thing you should need from IL is the properly endorsed IL title.

See the link Me007gold posted above.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
It has been a few years now, Soulja . . . however, I made a similar purchase / transfer from Illinois to Arizona.

My recommendation would be to make an appointment (if possible), gather all of your documents plus your checkbook and sit down with a Texas DMV Representative.

Here in Arizona a physical "vehicle check" is necessary (basically verifying VIN, etc) and after about an hour I had a "clean" title as well as current registration and plates.

Possibly a few "bumps in the road" but nothing that isn't doable with a little determination and lots of patience.

Good Luck

Old 05-30-2015, 01:58 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Never heard of those two forms. Me007gold gave you the correct link. You will need to get the form signed by the seller so you can easily file it for a new title in Texas. It is best to find out what is needed beforehand and have the paperwork ready at the point of sale so you can get the title, bill of sale (good to have), and Tx 130-u form signed by the seller at the same time.

And EVERY state is different on their requirements. Maybe in IL all you need is the title, but Texas does require a bit more.

Good luck on it.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:25 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
I agree with Bummer.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Note they have what is called in transit tag. The buyer can purchase it from Illinois to get it from Illinois to Texas if they don't want to ship it. They will need proof of insurance etc. When you get to Texas with the appropriate paperwork you can transfer the title there.

The way it worked here in PA is I needed a signed title* and the car had to be physically present during the transfer.

*I ran into issue with this, there was two people on the title and of the people on the title was deceased. This was after I purchased it and already brought it back to PA. I ended up having to track down a death certificate for him.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:02 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Unless you plan to transfer the title and register the vehicle in Illinois, you really don't care what paperwork Illinois needs or wants.
If you are going to transfer the title and register the vehicle in Texas, all you care about is TEXAS paperwork!
You need the clear title, signed over to you. The seller(s) signature(s) may have to be Notarized. You could use a Bill Of Sale, also. The BOS shows what you paid for the vehicle. This might be handy for tax purposes in some states where a sales or use tax is levied. In some states, the BOS is also your temporary registration, valid for a certain period of time (in Montana it is valid for 40 days from the date of sale).
The clerk at any Texas DMV office will have all the required Texas forms to complete the title transfer. All you should REALLY need is the Illinois title, properly filled out and signed by the seller(s).

Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulja View Post

Walk into the Department of Motor Vehicles building with the title and bill of sale in your hands and tell them what you need to do.
I'm sure someone there can help you get things in order and completed properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive