Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Some countries like Canada and Sweden do that, but not fan of it because most of America has plenty of sunshine year-round and lights should be switched on during inclement weather by law or automatic button.
First, most of America has sunny days less than half the year.

Second, I come to an intersection without traffic lights. As I look either direction down the crossing roadway, cars with daytime running lights are always far easier to see regardless of sunlight than cars without. I can see them farther away and I can more accurately gauge their distance and speed.

As I said, cars with running lights are also more easily spotted in one's peripheral vision--which for the 50% of drivers who wear glasses, is outside their corrected view and is less acute in anyone's view.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 AM

493 posts, read 385,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
First, most of America has sunny days less than half the year.

Second, I come to an intersection without traffic lights. As I look either direction down the crossing roadway, cars with daytime running lights are always far easier to see regardless of sunlight than cars without. I can see them farther away and I can more accurately gauge their distance and speed.

As I said, cars with running lights are also more easily spotted in one's peripheral vision--which for the 50% of drivers who wear glasses, is outside their corrected view and is less acute in anyone's view.
Not true. Partly Cloudy (Sun & Clouds mixed) are still considered sunny and bright... You should count on precipitation days only.
Daylight running lights on a sunny day is waste of money...

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Some countries like Canada and Sweden do that, but not fan of it because most of America has plenty of sunshine year-round and lights should be switched on during inclement weather by law or automatic button.
That's the problem. Many people think it's safe to drive without their headlights on most of the time. I'm talking in inclement weather or when it's almost pitch black outside.

If anything mandatory DRL would be a better safety measure than all amber rear turn signals.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
In certain situations, where headlight use is not needed, it's nice to be able to tell if the car is coming or going. Amber in the front, red in the rear.

If a red light is blinking guess what, he's got his turn signal on. If 2 or three red lights are bright and steady someone is braking. I'm assuming whoever is following will be taking action either way to avoid hitting him and not just continuing to speed up figuring the one turning is going to charge right into the turn without stopping. If whoever is following isn't adjusting for the turning car in front and rear ends him the problem isn't the lack of amber turn signals. The problem is the idiot following and running into the other car!

If you are going to complain about blinkers and brake lights being the same color then why not insist on making rear running lights some other color as well. After all, bright red running lights on one car and dim red brake lights on another. Oh the confusion! So a nice, simple idea. Amber in front and red in rear. Simple! Safe! Effective! Been working that way for years!
The rear running lights are fine the way they are. The topic here is the turn signals. Yes, red works good enough, but Amber works better. I prefer better. You like good enough.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM

493 posts, read 385,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The rear running lights are fine the way they are. The topic here is the turn signals. Yes, red works good enough, but Amber works better. I prefer better. You like good enough.
Bingo... Wish I could rep you

Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The topic here is the turn signals. .
And that's exactly what I was talking about. I mentioned the running lights only as an example but everything I was talking about were for the blinkers. Amber coming, red going! Not just good enough but very effective.

Why reinvent the wheel because some other place decided to try a different shape other then round?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Not true. Partly Cloudy (Sun & Clouds mixed) are still considered sunny and bright... You should count on precipitation days only.
Daylight running lights on a sunny day is waste of money...
No. Visibility decreases far short of precipitation. In fact, visibility and light level decrease measurably when the sun is less than 45 degrees above the horizon and whenever it is blocked by natural or artificial skylines.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
And that's exactly what I was talking about. I mentioned the running lights only as an example but everything I was talking about were for the blinkers. Amber coming, red going! Not just good enough but very effective.

Why reinvent the wheel because some other place decided to try a different shape other then round?
It's not reinventing the wheel. It's just painting it a more visible color. You say the current ones are effective (good enough) but someone posted that the amber signals were more effective (better).

Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
In certain situations, where headlight use is not needed, it's nice to be able to tell if the car is coming or going. Amber in the front, red in the rear.
Red light on the port (driver's) side of the car, and green light on the starboard (passenger) side. If it's good enough for ships and airplanes, it's good enough for cars!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Red light on the port (driver's) side of the car, and green light on the starboard (passenger) side. If it's good enough for ships and airplanes, it's good enough for cars!
But that's only when coming. What about going away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive