Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM

281 posts, read 368,905 times
It's really not that complicated.

It's illegal to break the speed limit.

It's also illegal to be in the left lane when you're not passing.

You don't legally get to stay in the left lane if you're not passing just because someone else is speeding. Likewise, you don't legally get to speed just because someone else is staying in the left lane while not passing.

You CAN do either of these things, just be prepared to accept the consequences should law enforcement decide to pursue you.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:09 AM

16,647 posts, read 8,663,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem with these types of laws is what happens when you are in the middle of passing in the left lane and faster traffic comes up behind you? and yes this has happened to me. i was passing four 18 wheelers, i was going over the limit, and at the point that faster traffic caught me, i was right next to the third trucks trailer. the guy was flashing his lights at me, but where was i supposed to go on a two lane highway?
Likely the law will not be interpreted as a need to immediately get out of the passing lane in a similar situation. Instead it is designed to keep left lane road hogs from backing traffic up (intentionally or unintentionally).
As has been witnessed on this forum, some people want to play speed police and figure if they are going the maximum speed limited, there is no need to get out of the way for someone else wishing to break the law.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,272,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No it doesn't. The law does not grant you permission to break another law.
This is the 3rd time I have to post this since some people do not know now to read

"When the law takes effect in July, all cars traveling in the left lane will have to yield to faster traffic coming from behind. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If you don’t move to the right, that’s a $500 fine."

You can still get a ticket for speeding, as it is against the law. You can also get a ticket for being in the left hand lane when you are not passing. Speed limits have ZERO to do with this law.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:23 AM

16,647 posts, read 8,663,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I still don't understand why people get upset at left lane campers (I don't), but good for Indiana I suppose.

Just because it does not bother you, doesn't mean it doesn't bother others. More importantly, if you were in a traffic jam and found out it was because someone in the left lane was pacing the right lane traffic, you might not be too happy about it.
Sure you wont go postal or anything like that, but some people will.

As I have said many times, people who try to control how other people drive behind the perceived safety of their own cars are cowards. They would not have the guts to try and block someone with their bodies, but will use a vehicle to do that very thing.
Here is but one example of where the idiot in the truck thought he could get away with messing with an aggressive driver, and they both, along with an innocent 3rd party paid the price;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7BASFqXIw

`

Old 06-05-2015, 10:11 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,840,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As I have said many times, people who try to control how other people drive behind the perceived safety of their own cars are cowards. They would not have the guts to try and block someone with their bodies, but will use a vehicle to do that very thing.
Exactly.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM

19,094 posts, read 27,673,713 times
Oh, I just noticed this thread. I worked in IN for over a year and commuted from I-polis to Nashville TN twice a week.
That is absolutely true about Hosiers driving on FWY. At 60 mph speed limit, two lane FWY, driver in the left lane goes dead smack on 60 and driver in the right lane goes dead smack at 59.9 mph, both apparently on cruise control. No matter how much you signal behind one in the L lane, he won't budge. They apparently had some perverted pleasure in doing so.
I worked in five states and commuted across the country many times. Take me to court, I will sincerely and truthfully testify that that's the fact. Mof, I saw IN license plated vehicles places else - they do exactly same thing - get into the L lane and block it.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Go back a few pages, you'll find at least a few people who think they're entitled to pass at 85 and have slower moving traffic who's doing the speed limit get out of the way.
In most states, you're entitled to have slower traffic get out of the way whether you're doing 85 or 65 or 45. That's not the same thing as saying you're entitled to speed.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM

281 posts, read 368,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In most states, you're entitled to have slower traffic get out of the way whether you're doing 85 or 65 or 45.
IF they are not passing...

Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,769,080 times
Quote:
No it doesn't. The law does not grant you permission to break another law.
It's not giving anyone the right to go above the speed limit. What it is doing is saying that, regardless of what speed the other person is traveling, it's illegal to travel in the left-hand lane.

How is this so complicated for so many?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,491,755 times
I have a hard time believing that when traffic is so heavy that all available lanes are fully occupied, that all those in the left lane are breaking the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.