Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,625,290 times
Even though the only real laws are the laws of physics, I tend to like and agree with this concept for many decades. Otherwise cops and courts etc have no business to do with driving.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,482,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Exactly the response we would expect for you. Speeding is against the law *yawn*. Now so is impeding the flow of traffic. Its up to the police to enforce the laws, not "you". If they want to ticket the speeder they have every right, but now they also have the right to ticket the driver that is holding up traffic

From the article "When the law takes effect in July, all cars traveling in the left lane will have to yield to faster traffic coming from behind. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If you don’t move to the right, that’s a $500 fine."
Yes, both speeding and impeding the flow of traffic are against the law (and always have been near as I can find out). I suggest you read the article I linked to.

This law is not long for this world if, indeed, it is intended, as one legisator pointed out, to make the law abiding person driving the speed limit the criminal. It also creates a serious conflict between two parts of the traffic code that will make the attorneys' pocketbooks really really happy until it is resolved.

Is the speed limit the speed limit, or is it not if you want to go really really fast in the left lane? If the speed limit law is overruled by the slower traffic keep right law, why can't the slower traffic keep right law be overruled by the speed limit law so that the slower traffic keep right law only counts if you're going slower than the speed limit? See how that works and how it will make a mares' nest in court?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 AM

520 posts, read 533,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, both speeding and impeding the flow of traffic are against the law (and always have been near as I can find out). I suggest you read the article I linked to.

This law is not long for this world if, indeed, it is intended, as one legisator pointed out, to make the law abiding person driving the speed limit the criminal. It also creates a serious conflict between two parts of the traffic code that will make the attorneys' pocketbooks really really happy until it is resolved.

Is the speed limit the speed limit, or is it not if you want to go really really fast in the left lane? If the speed limit law is overruled by the slower traffic keep right law, why can't the slower traffic keep right law be overruled by the speed limit law so that the slower traffic keep right law only counts if you're going slower than the speed limit? See how that works and how it will make a mares' nest in court?
It'll deal with the morons who drive 50 mph in the left lane and parallel to other cars. Enough said, the rest of your comment is in my opinion overanalysis.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:36 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,773,454 times
Quote:
Really? Then why do so many states keep passing these laws? Is it because they are beginning to recognize that impeding the flow of traffic is as dangerous as, if not more so, than speeding?

Quote:
Apparently, you are the only one confused by this.

Are you speeding? Yes? Then you can get a ticket.

Are you impeding the flow of traffic in the left hand lane, regardless of your speed? Yes? Then you can also receive a ticket.

See how simple that is? The law is designed to take into account as many facets of driving as possible. It's not that complicated, and it's certainly not "mares' nest" (what in the hell is that, anyway?) in court. It's very straightforward.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
Problem with these move over laws is they are rarely enforced..

Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM

520 posts, read 533,794 times
This issue has always intrigued me. I mean first of all its just instinctual to do this. Nobody ever overtly told me keep right except to pass, you just intuitively know. You move to the left until there is no obstruction in the right, then you merge back to the right. Rinse and repeat. Everywhere else in the world, they just know to do this automatically, and unlike the idiots in America they dont have 5000 speed limit and 'keep right except to pass' signs. Ive never figured out whats wrong with Americans that such a large percentage of them are oblivious. I mean they generally have no lane control skills at all. They cant merge properly, they have poor lane choices, they dont know when to move to the right exit lane. Sad.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
This issue has always intrigued me. I mean first of all its just instinctual to do this. Nobody ever overtly told me keep right except to pass, you just intuitively know. You move to the left until there is no obstruction in the right, then you merge back to the right. Rinse and repeat. Everywhere else in the world, they just know to do this automatically, and unlike the idiots in America they dont have 5000 speed limit and 'keep right except to pass' signs. Ive never figured out whats wrong with Americans that such a large percentage of them are oblivious. I mean they generally have no lane control skills at all. They cant merge properly, they have poor lane choices, they dont know when to move to the right exit lane. Sad.
Driving correctly means less time for Facebooking. Duh.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Quote:
Here's the actual Indiana Code regarding speed limits.
The thread isn't about speed limits.

Now run along.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,003,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem with these types of laws is what happens when you are in the middle of passing in the left lane and faster traffic comes up behind you? and yes this has happened to me. i was passing four 18 wheelers, i was going over the limit, and at the point that faster traffic caught me, i was right next to the third trucks trailer. the guy was flashing his lights at me, but where was i supposed to go on a two lane highway?
You speed up, complete your pass, and pull to the right when you clear the fourth truck.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,544,940 times
meh just get over when you see the speedy gonzalez's coming. Makes them think they're gonna make it on time (when they could have just left earlier in the first place). Then when you meet them at the red light intersection at the exit look over and smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive