Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I will say that in my experience Indiana is the last place I would put myself as a target to ever be in the passing lane for any amount of time. On a cross country trip last spring that was the state that stuck out in my mind with the most aggressive patrolling and police cruiser presence- I've never seen so many cops hiding under nearly every underpass in the median!
I travel between Chicago and Indy on a fairly regular basis and I haven't seen this to be the case. I suppose that could be because traffic on I-65 between the two cities is so thick that nobody can travel more than a few MPH over the limit anyway so the speed limit is largely enforced by circumstance.

What you describe sounds like Ohio to me. They're NFA over there. I was once doing 68 in a 65, some dude passed me doing maybe 71 or 72, and they came after him like he was a fkin' bank robber or something -- trooper flew by me in the triple digits to go get him.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I do love that about Southern California. I am rarely in the passing lane (there is no such thing as the fast lane) because there would be no reason for me to go faster than the 75+mph generally being maintained in the travel lanes, also the CHP is quite lenient as long as you are following proper lane behavior and just keeping up with the flow. My car does 150mph and handles very well but I'm quite comfortable and feel safer just hanging with the fast enough crowd- doesn't bother me a bit if others driving as if in Germany (with all that caveat entails) are utilizing the passing lane at faster speeds than me regardless of the posted speed limit.

I will say that in my experience Indiana is the last place I would put myself as a target to ever be in the passing lane for any amount of time. On a cross country trip last spring that was the state that stuck out in my mind with the most aggressive patrolling and police cruiser presence- I've never seen so many cops hiding under nearly every underpass in the median!
In S Cal you have to be really flying to get a speeding ticket, or speeding and weaving. On the 4 lane interstates the CHP will ticket for left lane camping if you are impeding traffic. Especially big rigs which can cause a bottleneck a half mile long.

Typically in the morning I'll throttle up the big girl to about 2300 rpm which is pushing 75 mph and I'm getting passed like I'm not moving.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Such a law, to be fair and effective, would have to explicitly say that there is no speed limit while passing.

Laws that contradict each other, such as being required to speed up while already going the speed limit, give cops more power to exercise their fascist tyranny, and push us even faster on the road to total fascism, where we're already headed.

If you're passing a long line of trucks, and a cop comes up behind you at high speed, are you going to speed up to pass faster, or slow down to get behind the trucks, or let the cop steam a while? Whichever choice you make, the law gives the cop fascist power over you. Anything you do is wrong, and it depends on how much the cop likes or dislikes you.

"A government of men, not of laws."

That's where we've been headed for a long time now, and getting slowly closer. This is just one of many little things that push us faster in the direction of total fascism, where cops have the right to shoot people if they feel like it, and to harass them about every little thing if they feel like it. A cop with road rage can always find an excuse to shoot the person who enrages him.

"He tried to grab my gun."
"He was acting hinky."
"He was reaching for his pocket."

The cop isn't going to be thinking of those excuses while shooting you in rage. Just that he knows he can always think of an excuse when he needs one.

I'm glad I'm not black. I wouldn't dare try to drive across Indiana with that law if I were. But even white people should be worried about fascism. The more it grows, the more victims it will have.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Will fascism get slowpokes out of the left-hand lane? If so, I could be persuaded to change my political stance...

Old 06-03-2015, 02:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Had you considered the possibility that others aren't driving at the limit? Are you also not aware that many states have lower speed limits for trucks than for cars?
Right. I am unaware. However, I am not the one trying to pass while only going the speed limit.

When I attempt to pass on a roadway, I make the attempt with full knowledge and understanding that I will be exceeding the speed limit for at least the duration of the pass. When I pass large trucks, I make the pass accelerating as quickly as I can. I do not want to force the truck driver into a bad maneuver because I have taken his only alternative lane on the roadway.

If I get pulled over during such a pass, I'll attempt to explain the situation to the police officer. Failing that, I'll make my explanation to the traffic judge. Failing that, I'll pay the fine.

The premise of the post to which I initially responded described the response to passing a line of four trucks. I have rarely observed any number of trucks (military vehicles excluded) driving without space between them for at least one vehicle to merge.

Last edited by MacInTx; 06-03-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 04:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Totally agree. People who hang out in the left lane are just lazy...they want a clear view of the road to "cruise" and not have to pass others.

I'm wondering how it works though on urban multi-lane where all lanes are actually needed for traffic flow, not just the far right lane...and sometimes of course the far right lane is an exit only a lot of the time too. Is it JUST the far left that is reserved for passing even though passing will no doubt also occur in other lanes?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM

520 posts, read 532,021 times
The number of questions alone indicates how complicated a simple concept like keep right except to pass is to Americans. We dont need 100 scenarios and hypotheticals. How hard is it to leave the left lane if a car comes up behind you? Nobody is asking you to be a speed nanny and try to judge what speed they are going. Not your job.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
The number of questions alone indicates how complicated a simple concept like keep right except to pass is to Americans. We dont need 100 scenarios and hypotheticals. How hard is it to leave the left lane if a car comes up behind you? Nobody is asking you to be a speed nanny and try to judge what speed they are going. Not your job.
And not your job to be a lane nanny if they are going the speed limit.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And not your job to be a lane nanny if they are going the speed limit.
That's the whole point of this law. I really don't want to post this again, but since you brought up speed limits

From the article "When the law takes effect in July, all cars traveling in the left lane will have to yield to faster traffic coming from behind. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If you don’t move to the right, that’s a $500 fine."

How is that so hard for you to understand? It does not matter if you are going 120mph, if some one comes up behind you MOVE OVER.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Now, read the article that I posted. However, IF the law actually reads that way (and I'd want to see the statute itself - did I miss it?), since the Indiana code very clearly states that you may not under any conditions exceed the posted limit, that would lead to the "mare's nest" in court that I referenced earlier. And to the poster who said I was the only one who was confused - I'm not confused at all. I've been a legal assistant and it is not difficult at all for me to imagine the opposing arguments on this if, indeed, the law is so self-contradictory. As I said, the only winner until Indiana sorts out if it wants to make the speed limit non-existent or if it wants to make it clear that slower traffic move right means traffic driving lower than the speed limit move right, will be the attorney's pocketbooks. Indiana, IF the new statute says what all of you are gleefully insisting it does, has really put its foot in it this time. They either should have made it explicit that it is traffic driving slower than the speed limit or they should have stated that the speed limit, in Indiana, doesn't exist in the left lane. But that would, as one legislator said about this law, make them look ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive