Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

Please help! Recently my 94 silverado broke down on the side and I had to change the Rotary button(not sure if I spelled that right) and module. It ran after that but I noticed that the rpm began jumping up and down whenever the transmission got ready to shift up and the truck would choke. When going up hills it would be worse. Anyone know what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:59 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Umm, whats a rotary button?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:00 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Umm, whats a rotary button?
Part of the distributor, Rotor button is the correct term. Where the actual contact to send spark is made.

Back in the day when cars had distributors, you'd generally wind up having to replace the cap and button.

I don't particularly see replacing the button causing a wobbling RPM at shift. What is the idle like? Solid, or is it wobbling there as well?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM

It would do it during idle too.
I had a new distributor cap put on a little over a year ago.
Changed to rotor button and module about 2 weeks ago then had it tuned up a weeks ago. Changed the fuel filter yesterday, pump is still coming on though although it runs about 10 secs. It's done that since I first put it on a little over a year ago as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
I don't think that the problem is related to replacement of the rotor.
Instead, this sounds to me like a gunked-up Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). With any luck you can clean it with the appropriate solvent/cleaner. Otherwise, you may have to replace the MAF.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't think that the problem is related to replacement of the rotor.
Instead, this sounds to me like a gunked-up Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). With any luck you can clean it with the appropriate solvent/cleaner. Otherwise, you may have to replace the MAF.

I can see that.. My first thought is the Idle Air Control Valve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSxqnkRYRU

They do tend to cause problems in places other than idle. I've only watched a minute of that clip, and I was hesitant to post it because the guy has a cigarette in his hand working near fuel.. Try not to do that.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Part of the distributor, Rotor button is the correct term. Where the actual contact to send spark is made.

Back in the day when cars had distributors, you'd generally wind up having to replace the cap and button.

I don't particularly see replacing the button causing a wobbling RPM at shift. What is the idle like? Solid, or is it wobbling there as well?
I've been working on cars for 40+ years and never heard anyone call it a rotary button, or a rotor button, its just the rotor. So he replaced the cap a year ago, and just got around to replacing the rotor, typically those are done at the same time. OP, did you clean inside of rotor? Check for carbon tracing? OHM wires?

Old 07-27-2015, 04:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,152 times
Is the engine the one that has that one big fuel injector thing? it looks like a spider? Those things were horribly designed.

Ever consider lack of fuel? the pump maybe?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've been working on cars for 40+ years and never heard anyone call it a rotary button, or a rotor button, its just the rotor. So he replaced the cap a year ago, and just got around to replacing the rotor, typically those are done at the same time. OP, did you clean inside of rotor? Check for carbon tracing? OHM wires?
Don't know if it's a regional thing, but.. I've always heard it referred to as the rotor button here in the south. (We call everything "Coke" as well, never "Soda" or "Pop") It's pretty much an interchangeable term. The 'button' term, I've always understood, refers to the actual metal contacts only on the rotor.. "Cleaning the rotor button" is a term that has been thrown around before and something I have done, but generally just to verify that it's the problem.. I've never seen the parts to replace just the 'rotor button'. Nor would I expect to, considering that the rotor itself is generally under $10. At least, all this is my interpretation of it.

The rotor is what you replace, the rotor button is generally what goes bad.

Google it. It's not an uncommon term at all. Then you can use it as an example of how you learn something new every day, even after 40+ years in the business. Whether you agree with the accuracy of the term or not is another story, but..

Anyway.. He replaced the rotor. Yes, odd that you wouldn't replace the cap and rotor at the same time, especially given the cost of the parts. neither of them will exactly set you back a great deal. $20 for both is probably pretty close.. But.. The 'surging' he's describing does not sound like a miss, which is what I would expect from a problem in the distributor. That IAC valve.. After 20+ years.. Seems like a good starting point for me, I doubt it needs to be replaced, can probably just clean. Throttle Body would be a good thing to clean up while you're in there as well.. It amazes me that when people take a vehicle in for a 'tune up' nowadays that most places don't do a TB cleaning, or at least check it.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM

I tried cleaning the iacv but the starter wNt out as soon as I tried to crank it. When it did crank it was still doing it. I had a couple of people tell me it was the coil going out though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive