Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM

58 posts, read 166,015 times

Advertisements

situation: registration expired in may. I don't have a title since the state it was registered in apparently required me to do a special inspection before I get a title in that state. the best they can do is send me a "salvage vehicle certificate" which I can use to eventually register car in state I'm moving to. I currently live in a state where I can't get a registration or a temporary registration without a title.

so therefore I have no chance of getting a registration, temporary or otherwise, until a few weeks from now in new state.

my registration tags are on front windshield instead of license plate so harder to spot. and I won't be driving in state it is registered in.

what's the worst that can reasonably happen? I like my chances of not getting stopped at all assuming I don't speed, except for the Midwest states where I have been pulled over for drug tests before ( with bs reasons like hugging the center lane).

is the worst a ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Four months out? Being cited is a likely outcome. Each and every state you pass through is the potential for a ticket.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
I pretty much guarantee you'll get pulled over and ticketed at the very least. I could see myself going so far as to buying something cheap and registerable on Craigslist with a title and taking that vehicle on the trip. Then I'd come back and U-Haul the other car cross country.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
You'd get impounded in Utah (impounds after 3 months)... I imagine most other states have similar rules.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I pretty much guarantee you'll get pulled over and ticketed at the very least. I could see myself going so far as to buying something cheap and registerable on Craigslist with a title and taking that vehicle on the trip. Then I'd come back and U-Haul the other car cross country.
even with out of state plates where you have to see the bottom corner of windshield to see when registration is expired?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Unlikely you'd get pulled over for that reason alone, since troopers would not be able to detect an expired plate on the fly. But if you are stopped for any other reason, you might have talk your way out of it, so have a story ready.

But if you are in an accident, you will be found 100% at fault.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
So you're driving a car without plates, and expired registration. Right? Good luck with that. You might make it. I suggest traveling light so, if you do get pulled over and the car impounded, you can carry your stuff the rest of the way.
I mean, if you have all the paperwork, and can prove what you think is true, and you can talk a good talk, you might pull it off.
A buddy and I drove back from California with no tag, back in the 60s and we only got pulled over twice. When the cops couldn't find any weed, they lost interest and told us to get back on the highway and get out of their town. But that was a long time ago.
Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
So you're driving a car without plates, and expired registration. Right? Good luck with that. You might make it. I suggest traveling light so, if you do get pulled over and the car impounded, you can carry your stuff the rest of the way.
I mean, if you have all the paperwork, and can prove what you think is true, and you can talk a good talk, you might pull it off.
A buddy and I drove back from California with no tag, back in the 60s and we only got pulled over twice. When the cops couldn't find any weed, they lost interest and told us to get back on the highway and get out of their town. But that was a long time ago.
Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't.
I have plates. I just have expired registration, which stickers arent on plates in that particular state, the registration sticker is on the corner of the windshield. So it is harder to see and notice it is expired (cop would have to see it from in front of car)

Old 09-08-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You'd get impounded in Utah (impounds after 3 months)... I imagine most other states have similar rules.
Well utah is where I am moving to haha.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
situation: registration expired in may. I don't have a title since the state it was registered in apparently required me to do a special inspection before I get a title in that state. the best they can do is send me a "salvage vehicle certificate" which I can use to eventually register car in state I'm moving to. I currently live in a state where I can't get a registration or a temporary registration without a title.

so therefore I have no chance of getting a registration, temporary or otherwise, until a few weeks from now in new state.

my registration tags are on front windshield instead of license plate so harder to spot. and I won't be driving in state it is registered in.

what's the worst that can reasonably happen? I like my chances of not getting stopped at all assuming I don't speed, except for the Midwest states where I have been pulled over for drug tests before ( with bs reasons like hugging the center lane).

is the worst a ticket?
Let's get something clear. Your plate is no longer registered, not even in the original state where you had it registered. You want to risk getting multiples fines and or getting your car impounded. Sure, go ahead. You do realize that a lot of police car uses license plate recognition? They don't need to see your expired registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive