Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
We had a 1966 Chevrolet Malibu station wagon and a 1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 door hardtop. It is the same.

I had a 66 Belair sedan and the windows went all the way down as well as having front vent windows. Why did they do away with those?

As for later models...my 93 D body Caddy has the afore mentioned windows that go 1/2 way down as well as having a useless immovable pane in the same locale. If the useless pane of glass wasn't there, the window would go all the way down. I don't ride back there so I don't care, I open it for air circulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
If the back windows in anything Ive ever owned that were able to go all the way down, were all the way down the air moving made such a loud "bumping" noise I couldn't stand it.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:10 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
If the back windows in anything Ive ever owned that were able to go all the way down, were all the way down the air moving made such a loud "bumping" noise I couldn't stand it.
I once had a 1984 Buick Skyhawk coupe. The rear windows flipped outward like fish gills. This really helped lower the thumping noise. Lower front windows a bit, pop open back windows, and cruise along.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I had a 66 Belair sedan and the windows went all the way down as well as having front vent windows. Why did they do away with those? ...

Those front vents were killers (head trauma). I recall once, when I was a young newspaper reporter, going to the scene of a fatal accident in which there was very little damage to the car, but the driver's head had hit the vent frame. Thankfully they've done away with those.

I could be mistaken, but I think some of those rear windows were limited in travel for safety reasons too. "Back in the day" we didn't have seat belts nor child restraint seats. In an accident passengers just flew around inside the car or out of it. When I was 11 or 12, my sister and I were riding in the back seat of a '47 Ford 2-door when my brother t-boned a car at a rural intersection. I was thrown out. First thing I remember was picking myself up from the middle of the intersection and running to the nearest neighbor for help. (Thankfully, no one was hurt seriously.)

Old 09-06-2015, 02:45 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Look at the door outline and look where the rear wheelwell goes. Cars now days are just too short to have a full sized rear door with the wheel well behind it. Therefore, the window can't possibly be lowered. The rear windows in my quad cab Ram go down all the way which is nice but it has squared off rear doors allowing the window to go completely down.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I've noticed that many 4 door cars have rear door windows that don't go all the way down anymore. Why? At one time all the cars door windows went all the way down. My 2003 Malibu rear windows barely went below 1/2 way down. My 2015 Elantra rear windows goes almost all the way down with a small piece still sticking up. What changed that prevents the rear window from going all the way down like the front windows?
I think it's that the rear wheel area prevents rolling down all the way. Large cars may not have this issue...I don't know. I buy smaller cars, so the cab length is sort of short, particularly the back seat.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:47 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post

AKA...buffeting. I hate it. My car doesn't do it.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:45 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I notice they don't go down all of the way on some minivans either. The shape of the door does not appear to be the reason.
Didn't it take them long enough to make the sliding door windows actually roll.down? How hard was it?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I've noticed that on several cars over the years. My 80 cutlass 4 door had the back windows that did not roll down at all

Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Didn't it take them long enough to make the sliding door windows actually roll.down? How hard was it?
It sure did. It wasn't hard, but they had to fatten up the vans to make space for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive