Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM

772 posts, read 935,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a blown head gasket is probably the issue here, and depending on what engine you have, it should run around $700 or so depending on where you go. i would find an independent shop to do the work as they are usually about half what the dealer wants for similar jobs.
A blown head gasket would most likely result in lower compression in more than one cylinder, as well as loss of coolant/oil.

This sounds like a burnt valve like a previous poster said.

A cracked cylinder head would also likely result in coolant/oil loss.

OP, you need to test compression in all cylinders before doing anything. I don't think your mechanic is doing a good job diagnosing this from the sound of it. It could still be a fuel injector too, which would explain the stumbling, hesitation, and vibration, so don't rule that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It could really be a multitude of things.

I'm going to assume the mechanic threw a compression tester on it and found it low. Possible causes are burst head gaskets, burnt valves, and cracked heads. Which it is is hard to tell until you get that head off.

Gotcha! Well, I pray it's an easy and affordable fix. I am anxious to hear what this other mechanic has to say

Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
Gotcha! Well, I pray it's an easy and affordable fix. I am anxious to hear what this other mechanic has to say
Don't tell the new mechanic what the previous mechanic told you. Just tell him the symptoms you are experiencing and let him figure it out.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
Don't tell the new mechanic what the previous mechanic told you. Just tell him the symptoms you are experiencing and let him figure it out.
Crap. I think my hubby already told them

Do u think it's safe for him to drive the car like this? There seems to be a shortage of mechanics around here. When we called to try to get the car and they tell us it could take a few days to a week. We were lucky we were able to get the second mechanic to look at it today

Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 AM

Does anyone know if using that fuel injector cleaner could've had any damage? My concern is that if it really isn't a fuel injector problem and my husband use that cleaner that he could've done further damage to the car

Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
A really GOOD mechanic will do a compression test first, to verify it really IS a low compression problem.
Then he will do a leak-down test to see where the lost compression is going: It may be going back into the intake manifold (burnt intake valve); into the exhaust manifold (burnt exhaust valve); into the crankcase (broken rings, hole in piston); outside the engine (bad head gasket) or into the cooling system (bad head gasket, cracked head, cracked block). Then, if he deems it advisable (or if the owner wants it), he can do a borescope inspection, to see exactly what/where the damage is.
Once the exact extent of damage is known, then the mechanic can advise the owner of his options:
1. Repair the existing engine. If all the other cylinders appear to be in good condition, this might be the most viable option. If there are other problems, then;
2. Replace the existing engine with a low-mileage wrecking yard engine that has been thoroughly tested. or;
3. Get a rebuilt long block to replace the existing engine. or;
4. Get a new "crate engine" from the vehicle manufacturer. or;
5. get rid of the vehicle.
Good luck.

Edit: 100K miles? That narrows it down, IMO the best option is to replace or rebuild the engine. I would not try to solve the problem in one cylinder in an engine with that many miles. It calls for replacement or complete rebuild, IMO. If going for a rebuild or replacement, the transmission might as well be done at the same time.
It may be time to replace the vehicle!
No, I don't think the injector cleaner caused any damage, if used according to the instructions on the package, considering the fact that there is 4 to 8 ounces of injector cleaner mixed with about 20 gallons of fuel!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Crap. I think my hubby already told them

Do u think it's safe for him to drive the car like this? There seems to be a shortage of mechanics around here. When we called to try to get the car and they tell us it could take a few days to a week. We were lucky we were able to get the second mechanic to look at it today
Do you have the 4 cyl or the V6? It's probably ok to keep driving the car gently, IF!!! you monitor your temperature gauges, oil level, etc.

There is a possibility that you are losing coolant and oil. If so, then running the car like that could result in overheating, and causing more damage to the engine. Running without oil can cause oil starvation issues that will destroy the engine entirely.

So, check and make sure that you are not losing any fluids before attempting to drive it further. If you're not losing any fluid, then yes, you can drive it gently if you have to, but it should be avoided if possible.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if using that fuel injector cleaner could've had any damage? My concern is that if it really isn't a fuel injector problem and my husband use that cleaner that he could've done further damage to the car
No. It won't damage the car.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Don't worry about the fuel injector cleaner. To make it easier to understand, that would be the equivalent to putting a little dish soap into water, to be able to clean something in the kitchen when water alone won't do the job. The jets it cleans are just little holes through which gasoline is shot into the cylinders. Over time the fuel will have things in it that plug up the jet so they don't let as much fuel through and can cause the engine to run rough. This cleaner is just something that cleans out what is plugging the injector. This is good for your engine, and does not damage it. It costs time and money to run other tests, so when a car is running rough, this is the standard first test to find if it is the jets needing cleaned, or something serious.

It is more common it is the plugged jets, than anything else, so any good mechanic would tell your husband to clean the jets, before having to spend money to run down the other problems, such as a cracked head, blown gasket, burnt valves, etc., etc. You now know it is not the jets which was a cheap check, now they will look for the more serious problems, that are more costly to fix.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Hubby just texted me back:

"Still looking at it. He reset the check engine code and drove around but it didn't go off again. I think he said he replaced the ignition coil"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive