Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 PM

709 posts, read 766,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
When I was shopping for a new vehicle last year for the first time in nearly ten years, I decided to try the "email quote" route, and emailed the Internet Manager at every dealer in the metro selling that make, plus a couple of out-of-town dealers, for good measure. I made it clear that I didn't need a test drive, and I did not have a trade-in. If the price was agreeable, I will come in to finalize the transaction.

The responses I got were almost exactly the same as yours. "Please contact me to schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience, so I can demonstrate the vehicle to you". Or, "Come in and have a cup of coffee on us, and I will see how I can assist you". I responded back that I didn't need a demonstration, I just need their best price up front, and I will be in to complete the transaction, if the price is agreeable. But I got nowhere. One of the dealers didn't even respond to my inquiry, and it was one of the local ones, not one of the out-of-town dealers.

I think they just want to get you in there on their turf, and try to talk you into something before you have a chance to realize what just happened. After all, every dealer these days has their inventory ready for immediate delivery. The porter just has to run it through the wash rack and affix the temporary tag, while the finance manager works you over, and tries to sell you as many warranties and pre-paid maintenance plans as he can (they do all the add-ons, like pinstriping, window VIN etching, window tinting, paint & fabric protection, etc., to all their vehicles, before they are put on sale, so there is no need to try to "upsell" on those things). I just wonder how much longer this business model can survive.

Negotiating via email is probably something that varies from region to region. In my market, for example, there are maybe just a half-dozen new-car dealer ownership groups that control 95% of the market. The independent car dealer that only sells one brand, is virtually extinct.
Thank you. I think about 95% percent of the posts at City-Data are bogus, complete bs. But yours seemed genuine.

I will say, though, I agree with some of your post and disagree with some of it

From my experience, car buying hasn't changed from what it was 30 years ago (I know, others in this thread disagree - the internet/iphone changed the game).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, at least one dealer did break down the internet price for me. And when I went to the dealership, he did spend a lot of time with me. When it came time to negotiate price, though, it was the same high-pressure tactics (wait I have to talk to my sales manager, etc). I negotiated for a while, and got what I figured was a pretty good price. Now, here is where I was somewhat pleasantly surprised and where I disagree. Even though I was paying cash, they made meet with the F&I guy - I thought, ok here it comes, they're putting the high pressure to finance. Nope; he was actually pretty cool, and didn't even push the extended warranty.

Point is, I don't think car buying has changed all that much. If posters disagrree, they should mention dealers willing to deal over the email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 01:11 PM

709 posts, read 766,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Making it clear that you are a ready, willing and able buyer with the only question being price does work in many cases...

Never bought a car on time or had a trade... so it really was all about price.
What does buying a car "on time" mean?

The only question being about price is almost always the case. Doesn't matter if it's in person or online.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:54 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Might have even been a ploy all along by the two of them.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. This time. He was really negotiating with me until someone told him to stop. I had specific needs and it all worked out perfectly. I pretty much got the deal that I was expecting. I hate negotiating, but it went well this time.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:26 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Carmax? Are you serious? So, you are willing to pay a premium, just so you don't have to negotiate at all.
I don't know why people assume this about Carmax. I got a great price on my car at Carmax. It was exactly what I wanted, I paid under KBB, and I was in and out quickly and easily. I even spoke to a salesman on the phone before I went over there to be sure the car I wanted was still available for test drive. Carmax is like anywhere else. You have to shop smart. You can get taken for a ride at any car lot if you don't research what you're buying.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Thank you. I think about 95% percent of the posts at City-Data are bogus, complete bs. But yours seemed genuine.

Point is, I don't think car buying has changed all that much. If posters disagrree, they should mention dealers willing to deal over the email.
Here's a Honda dealer in my neck of the woods who will you a quote instantly via email:

Instant Price Quotes for New Hondas | Anderson Honda | Serving the San Jose Area

Feel free to test it out (use a junk email address 'cause you'll be stuck on their mailing list).

Here's a Toyota dealer who has its prices posted and if you want to haggle, click on "New Toyota Quote":

Toyota Cars | Toyota Dealer San Francisco Bay Area

Here's where I bought my Subie ... click on the "Get ePrice" and they'll email you a quote:

New 2015 & 2016 Subaru Vehicles For Sale in Burlingame | Putnam Subaru Serving Redwood City & San Francisco Bay Area

I've also used the "Get Free Price Quote" button on edmunds.com and weed out all the "come on down" responses.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Yes if you're willing to pay MSRP. Can't one usually negotiate a couple thousand off that price?
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.....msrp is a level starting point.....I have paid sticker for new models, hard to get stuff but my last F150 was 10k off sticker....

Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
What does buying a car "on time" mean?

The only question being about price is almost always the case. Doesn't matter if it's in person or online.
Buying on time is when the buyer doesn't have or is unwilling to pay cash.

Price covers a lot...

You might be surprised how many buyers shop payments... that is all they care about... how much per month to put me the car I want.

The more parts of a deal the more ways to profit from the Dealership side.

A straight sale is the profit from the sale... plus any manufacturer dealer incentives...

A sale with Dealer arranged financing opens the window to another profit center... the spread on the cost to finance vs what the buyer is willing to pay... can also lead to stretching out the payments for 6 or more years.

The Grand Slam is a sale, with Dealer arranged finance and a trade in...

One last avenue is Dealer arranged Insurance... not as prevalent, but still a possibility.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-19-2015 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Why is there any negotiating at all? isnt there a price and you pay that price or not? I mean, i dont try to haggle the waitress or dept store cashier, so why would I when it comes to a car?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:54 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Why is there any negotiating at all? isnt there a price and you pay that price or not? I mean, i dont try to haggle the waitress or dept store cashier, so why would I when it comes to a car?
Are you really that naive or inexperienced about auto purchases?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post

Noone is stopping you from paying the sticker price or any advertised price. I'm sure the salesman and the dealership will be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive