Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Dealers are liars too. What's wrong with giving them a taste of their own medicine?

I'm not defending or advocating one way or the other, just simply pointing out the contradiction and the reason why dealers don't want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Neither. It simply never comes into my mind to "haggle" a price of a car at a lot. Perhaps a personal "bought it from Joe down the street" type purchase but buying from Hunky Dorey Auto Sales? Never. Theres a sticker, theres a price, I pay it or I choose a different car/dont buy anything.

Far as Im concerned every auto sale and every sale period is "price not negotiable"

This is legitimately nuts.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Its not that hard people. If a dealer won't play ball - move on. Unless you are buying a Ferrari then there is no shortage of dealers.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Neither. It simply never comes into my mind to "haggle" a price of a car at a lot. Perhaps a personal "bought it from Joe down the street" type purchase but buying from Hunky Dorey Auto Sales? Never. Theres a sticker, theres a price, I pay it or I choose a different car/dont buy anything.

Far as Im concerned every auto sale and every sale period is "price not negotiable"

You're what car salesmen refer to as a "grape".
Do you do that for real estate too?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
I honestly wouldn't mind the one price model, just like most anything else we buy. You pay whats advertised. But get rid of all other fees. The only thing they get to tack on is sales tax. If the window says $19,599. You pay that + tax. Period.

But this would have to be across the board across all brands regardless of location.

People want to haggle because they don't want to be outdone by someone else. They don't want to hear down the road that their neighbor/cousin/uncle paid $2,000 less than them. Now they all paid the same, just like a loaf of bread.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

People want to haggle because they don't want to be outdone by someone else. They don't want to hear down the road that their neighbor/cousin/uncle paid $2,000 less than them. Now they all paid the same, just like a loaf of bread.
I don't know about everyone else but I haggle because I want to save money.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:18 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
You can totally show up and pay the asking price plus taxes. You'd be overpaying, but you can do that.

You could also tell them to include tax/tag/title/fees, etc. into that price on the window. At least you'd save that money right there. I don't know of any dealer that wouldn't take that deal every day of the week (unless it was a rare car or something that they can charge over MSRP for).

Old 09-22-2015, 09:29 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You can totally show up and pay the asking price plus taxes. You'd be overpaying, but you can do that.

You could also tell them to include tax/tag/title/fees, etc. into that price on the window. At least you'd save that money right there. I don't know of any dealer that wouldn't take that deal every day of the week (unless it was a rare car or something that they can charge over MSRP for).
I'm talking about the industry as a whole. We don't go into a supermarket and start negotiating prices of cereal or tomatoes. We kind of just pay the sticker price.

I understand buying a car is different then your dinner menu but it would simplify things if car mfgs set MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) just like other industries. Bowling balls, digital cameras, etc have MAP pricing with some wiggle room.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM

233 posts, read 417,991 times
They want to be able to use their salesman tricks on you by guilting and pressuring you into decisions. They can't do that online because there aren't any emotions of spur-of-the-moment decisions when you're typing out a letter.

I only deal with dealerships that will tell me what the price is, period (I usually look for a CarSense). I don't want to negotiate, just tell me what the real price is and I'll take it or not.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm talking about the industry as a whole. We don't go into a supermarket and start negotiating prices of cereal or tomatoes. We kind of just pay the sticker price.
Believe it or not... some people do... especially on ripe fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive