Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Except for the alignment, I'm glad I can do all those things myself in my garage. Youtube is the greatest thing for DIY cheap bastards like myself.

I recently failed NYS inspection on one of my older cars because the shop was trying to extort $600 from me to replace rear drums and do a parking break adjustment. Replaced drums and shoes myself for about $60 in parts. Adjusting the parking brake was free. Passed inspection at a quick lube place.

I wish instead of going to med school, I opened up an autoshop instead. Its license to print money since the average person knows nothing about cars.
this entire experience has me determined to start learning how to do basic stuff.

if the breaks weren't as crucially needed, like ASAP (according to mechanic), i would ABSOLUTELY do it myself.

already watched multiple YouTube tutorials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Brakes are the most important element on a car but for most cars they are the easiest to change out, especially if just changing out pads.

Once the wheels are off literally it's two bolts you have to loosen. Push the pistons back in, replace pads, bleed brakes, and voila, you're done. You can grease the piston boot or caliper pins if they have them but not absolutely necessary.

Do use a torque wrench when tightening the wheel lug nuts back on. This will help you from warping the rotor. Many people over torque them. Check online or your car manual for your car specs. Usually around 70-85 lbs of torque.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:31 AM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Forgot to mention. Craigslist sometimes has killer deals on tires. We once bought set of four Honda tires with maybe 10 000 miles on them for $100 cash. I had full set of NEW tires for my Ranger for free. Guy just gave them to me. He asked $25 originally.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM

384 posts, read 734,770 times
Why do you need new calipers? Is there something wrong?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Yeah I wondered this too. You should really never need to replace your calipers unless something is wrong, and even then, you would only need one (to fix whichever one is broken). This mechanic sounds like a fool, or more realistically, a sheister.

At least he dropped his price to $300 for the labor.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:49 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I personal don't use it. I have one but I just go by feel. I'm not saying that's the way to go. You can pick up all the tools at Harbor Freight for a reasonable price.
Harbor Freight? You're kidding, right? If I want Big Lots or Dollar General quality, I'll just go there.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Yeah I wondered this too. You should really never need to replace your calipers unless something is wrong, and even then, you would only need one (to fix whichever one is broken). This mechanic sounds like a fool, or more realistically, a sheister.

At least he dropped his price to $300 for the labor.
verbatim "your back breaks are metal on metal and the rotor looks warped, i can't tell if you need a new caliper until i take the tire/rotor off and only then will i be able to give you a definitive answer. i THINK it can be saved, but i wanted to give you a worst-case-scenario quote"

it sounds very shady to me as well. i know i NEED brakes, they've been needed for a little while but i never heard any squealing, relatively no shudder, etc. so to think that they were in that disrepair seems...unreasonable.

luckily i got, what i think is, a great deal on parts and will have the freedom to shop around a bit for someone to do the labor.

actually bringing the car to the dealer today as i was given an extended warranty for stuck pistons/oil consumption so i'll have them measure the brake pads to see if it really is metal on metal.

if it is, i guess i can go right back to him with the parts that should be here any day.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Except for the alignment, I'm glad I can do all those things myself in my garage. Youtube is the greatest thing for DIY cheap bastards like myself.

I recently failed NYS inspection on one of my older cars because the shop was trying to extort $600 from me to replace rear drums and do a parking break adjustment. Replaced drums and shoes myself for about $60 in parts. Adjusting the parking brake was free. Passed inspection at a quick lube place.

I wish instead of going to med school, I opened up an autoshop instead. Its license to print money since the average person knows nothing about cars.
Without AES certification and insurance you could easily go bankrupt from lawsuits.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
I was horrified to hear a recent story from my mom. She failed NYS inspection because of a CEL. Mechanic told her it was $900 to "fix" it. She paid, passed inspection, 2 days later the CEL went back on. I bet all they did was reset the CEL.

License to print money.

And this whole leaving State inspection to private mechanics is extortion. When I lived in Chicago for a few years, at least the emission inspection was done by the state so their was no incentive for BS repairs.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Brakes are the most important element on a car but for most cars they are the easiest to change out, especially if just changing out pads.

Once the wheels are off literally it's two bolts you have to loosen. Push the pistons back in, replace pads, bleed brakes, and voila, you're done. You can grease the piston boot or caliper pins if they have them but not absolutely necessary.

Do use a torque wrench when tightening the wheel lug nuts back on. This will help you from warping the rotor. Many people over torque them. Check online or your car manual for your car specs. Usually around 70-85 lbs of torque.

Again.... if you're not cracking the bleeder screw on the calipers or breaking a line loose you do not need to bleed the brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive