Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:13 AM

348 posts, read 372,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
maybe with the stock program, but add a tuner like one from bullydog, and you can add up to 140hp just by changing the program, and trust me that really wakes up modern diesel trucks.
Sure, and then you'll burn it or the transmission up well before their time.

Aftermarket tunes are partially to blame for rampant diesel failures, esp. for the Ford 6.0 and 6.4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:24 AM

348 posts, read 372,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Try again.....

Audi A6 TDI...5.1 0-60 13.9 @98 and 38mpg highway.

And no it is not part of the recall.
The Audi A6 3.0T (supercharged gasoline V6) is quicker (0-60 in 4.8 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.5 sec @ 102), sounds better, has better response, is smoother and quieter, and costs $2,100 less. At least in my state, whereby diesel is a bit more expensive than premium, you'd have to drive the TDi for more than 100,000 miles before it pays off, all the while suffering a slower, louder, rougher, smellier car.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
You just don't get the "big rig" thing, do you? I also love how so many who buy these anti-social rattletraps insist on leaving them running when they step out of them. I guess their engines "are so massive, they'd have trouble restarting them if they shut 'er down." Boys and their toys...

No trouble restarting them.... but it is harder on the engine than to let them idle. Especially in cold climates. Mine idles every time I jump out to run in a gas station, or to drop something by the post office. No sense in going through the motions to restart it and wear things out more when idling it is as effective. The thing is.... gas burners idle too. You just don't complain about those because you'd rather spend time complaining about a vehicle you don't like because it doesn't fit your lifestyle.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:26 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
The Audi A6 3.0T (supercharged gasoline V6) is quicker (0-60 in 4.8 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.5 sec @ 102), sounds better, has better response, is smoother and quieter, and costs $2,100 less. At least in my state, whereby diesel is a bit more expensive than premium, you'd have to drive the TDi for more than 100,000 miles before it pays off, all the while suffering a slower, louder, rougher, smellier car.
Your state is in the small minority of states where premium is cheaper than diesel.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:

Aftermarket tunes are partially to blame for rampant diesel failures, esp. for the Ford 6.0 and 6.4.

W-R-0-N-G.

I have a 6.4 with a H&S XRT PRO 310 tune on it.

The tunes caused already common problems to show their ugly heads. On an engine with the repairs made (such as mine), the tune actually increases efficiency and longevity of the engine and transmission. You cannot blame a tune for causing the failure. It has nothing to do with that.

Before my tune, I was seeing 13 mpg city. I'm now at 18.5 mpg. My transmission doesn't struggle shifting because the tune increased the firmness of the shifts so that it engages quickly instead of slipping from one gear into the next.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
W-R-0-N-G.

I have a 6.4 with a H&S XRT PRO 310 tune on it.

The tunes caused already common problems to show their ugly heads. On an engine with the repairs made (such as mine), the tune actually increases efficiency and longevity of the engine and transmission. You cannot blame a tune for causing the failure. It has nothing to do with that.

Before my tune, I was seeing 13 mpg city. I'm now at 18.5 mpg. My transmission doesn't struggle shifting because the tune increased the firmness of the shifts so that it engages quickly instead of slipping from one gear into the next.
well said N. sal just because something was tuned, doesnt mean there is any more stress in the system. aftermarket tunes are used in a variety of vehicles, including your precious gas powered vehicles, without issue.

it is true that if you push the tune to its limits all the tune, you can reduce the longevity of any vehicle. however the vast majority of diesel owners, when they use a tune, just improve fuel economy and/or towing performance, with the occasional bump to improve their performance at the drag strip.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Diesel is much cheaper here in CA now.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said N. sal just because something was tuned, doesnt mean there is any more stress in the system. aftermarket tunes are used in a variety of vehicles, including your precious gas powered vehicles, without issue.

it is true that if you push the tune to its limits all the tune, you can reduce the longevity of any vehicle. however the vast majority of diesel owners, when they use a tune, just improve fuel economy and/or towing performance, with the occasional bump to improve their performance at the drag strip.
I have the 7.3 and when the transmission went at 150 I replaced it with a heavier duty one. Now with a DP tuner I get about 2 mpg better!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
$$$$$$ costs a great deal to develop a vehicle and bring it to the market. They need to know they will make their money back. It's not like they sell millions of Suburbans or Excursions each year. There are soooo many regulations on diesel vehicles. That's a mountain to climb in its self.

I drive a Durango Citadel. I looked at a Grand Cherokee loaded like the Citadel. One Grand Cherokee I looked at was the diesel. Gas was about 60-70 cents more a gallon then. I did the math and there was no way I would recover the extra $7 GRAND the vehicle cost. I didn't even add sales tax or the interest on my payments to that. And now gas is 60-70 cents cheaper per gallon and continues to fall. I would have been kicking myself for years if I made that dumb move.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
I like it. However hate the fact that If or whenever this is released, stupid idiots are going the f it up with large chrome rims

It looks like all they have to do is chrome those already on it as they look big and ugly to me as it. Big wheels are good for hipo/racing applications and very few actually need it. For general purpose it is appearance only and you sacrifice ride quality. Give me 15" rims any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive