Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 02:14 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Your lying......bring your filet to Outback and tell them it is better so they should cook it.....They will laugh in your face mate! Please let us know when you have done this and the name of the restaurant.

The only time a restaurant will cook your food is if it is a fish place and you bring in your "catch of the day" and they still charge $15 bucks+ to do it.
uh, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 02:34 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
My husband wanted some type of upgraded brakes for his car. He bought them online because just like most everything else he found it at a better price w/no tax. It doesn't make us cheap it makes us smart. Problem was he almost gave up finding a mechanic to install them. He even found mechanics that said they would do it, he left the car then 5 hours later they would call and say they changed their mind- that happened twice. Just charge for labor and do a good job, why is that so hard?
The guy you reply to explained to you very nice why "it is so hard".
It makes no sense for a good mechanic to do it, too much risk for less margin.

Ones that accept to do it, I would not want them doing it.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ah, but it is the same as diners mark-up food just as repair shops mark-up parts.
Restaurants mark them up a lot more, wine is at least 3-4 times more than getting it in store.

Wonder why posters advocating to bring own auto-parts don't bring their own alcohol & meat in reputable restaurants...

Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Because you essentially want someone to install a product they do not stand behind. Past experience tells most of them that if there is a failure, you will look to them to warranty a product they did not sell you. It creates bad blood and hurts business, so most companies don't want the liability.
All the mechanic would have to say is they will install but not warranty the parts and type it up, is that so difficult? Mechanics are just lazy and full of themselves.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Your lying......bring your filet to Outback and tell them it is better so they should cook it.....They will laugh in your face mate! Please let us know when you have done this and the name of the restaurant.

The only time a restaurant will cook your food is if it is a fish place and you bring in your "catch of the day" and they still charge $15 bucks+ to do it.
Plenty of restaurants around the wharf will cook up your catch of the day... even can bring your own wine for a corkage fee...

Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
All the mechanic would have to say is they will install but not warranty the parts and type it up, is that so difficult? Mechanics are just lazy and full of themselves.
This thread is just that - install but no warranty, not sure why you call them lazy and full of themselves???

Old 10-01-2015, 04:10 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
This thread is just that - install but no warranty, not sure why you call them lazy and full of themselves???
Well we could question the quality of the install to get back at them for bringing in their own part, but I won't go that far.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Well we could question the quality of the install to get back at them for bringing in their own part, but I won't go that far.
That's why I don't like what I see on the receipt. Whether it was a communication issues or the way the shop do things. If I am having the shop do the brakes and uses customer supply parts, I would still want the shop to write it up as a brake job. The way the receipt is written, it's simply removed and install parts.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:41 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Have you ever operated a vehicle repair shop? If you did you might reconsider calling mechanics "lazy."

I know shop owners who have tried to cater to "bring your own parts". Sooner or later the cheapskate who brought his own parts raises hell: "You should have known it was defective." "I am not paying you to do this twice!" Or the car ties up a lift for a day while the vehicle owner tries again on the parts. Forty years ago when I was a semi-underground hippy mechanic I had installed a water pump in car but could not fill and bleed the cooling system until the next day because the owner was going across town on her motor scooter to buy anti-freeze on sale somewhere! Labor rates for car repair are actually quite low compared with fields like HVAC and parts markup is essential for a shop to stay in business. That is to say a legitimate shop. The "backyard Bob" with no insurance, no commercial zoning, etc., under the radar for taxes, who gives you an illegible hand-written receipt, can maybe get by without parts margin.

A good mechanic takes pride in a car leaving his shop REPAIRED. That is NOT the same as installing some parts that somebody "who Googled it" hopes will fix his problem or installing some shocks that somebody brought in because everybody has heard "If you car has more than xxx miles it needs new shocks." There is an all too common misconception that shocks/struts are always needed and will fix all suspension problems. Only thing is, the front end is knocking because the sway bar links are worn out.

All the fellow shop owners I know who ever let customers carry in their own parts eventually:

A: Went out of business.

or

B: Had an experience where they said "Never again!"

There have been cases where out misguided courts have held a repair shop liable for failure of customer provided parts. Some garageman's liability policies do NOT cover the consequences of installing customer provided parts. Depending on state law, a shop is frequently NOT of the hook by simply stating "NO WARRANTY ON CUSTOMER PROVIDED PARTS." The shop can be held liable if generally accepted good professional practice was not followed.

Mechanics are NOT "lazy and full of themselves" because they choose not to work for a cheapskate customer at reduced profit and greatly increased risk of the job not going smoothly.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a car owner doing research and getting a good price on parts for his car -- just take them home and put them on yourself!

Don in Austin

Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
We just always felt the customer was a little on the cheap side, and generally discouraged it.

if the customer insisted, we would agree to install the parts for an hourly rate, but would not guarantee the work.

Generally, there were always hard feelings: They were cheap. We were arrogant. If something went wrong it was never the parts, always our work--and then what do you do? If a brake line needed to be replaced as well, then what? It led to bad feelings, a dissatisfied customer, a bad reputation, and quite honestly, a less economic situation for us for the hours invested.

Best to say no right up front. Let Uncle Billy do the job in his driveway and put up with the aggravation.
I long ago chose not to cater to the cheapest and hardest to please. For one example, that means Hondas and Toyotas get Denso brand starters and alternators which have a miniscule warranty return rate when professional diagnosis and installation is done. We have also done our research and determined that certain 98-2002 Lexus and Toyota products that came stock with marginally adequate alternator capacity can be upgraded to a bolt in genuine Denso alternator that has 20 amps more output and will completely eliminate a problem with the battery gradually discharging if the car idles for a prolonged period with AC on full. We have also learned through experience and the expense of being honorable about warranty what brand of rotors to use on Honda to prevent the premature return onset of brake pulsation. So I don't give a rat's ass what a house brand "remanufactured" starter or alternator costs at Autozone! Nor do I give a rat's ass that there are $13 brake rotors on the market. I don't even give a rat's ass that Denso parts can be bought for wholesale prices through the internet. Our price is our price and for that you get a fast top-notch repair with full warranty. That's not for everybody, of course.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive