Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times

Advertisements

A tragic freak accident that killed a couple https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartanntp.

Don't own a keyless car but thought they all automatically shut off when you exit the vehicle. Or at least shut off when you are away at a certain distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:01 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
If they shut off when the remote was some distance away it would also shut off as you drive down the highway if the fob battery died...

Old 06-28-2019, 12:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
The car beeped repeatedly when the driver exited without shutting off the engine. Nearly all keyless cars have similar features, and all cars (AFAIK) will beep and so forth if the seat belts are detached while the engine is running and/or the door is open.

I don't really think "keyless" has a lot to do with these accidents; a driver so oblivious or distracted could just as easily forget to turn off the key and take it.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The car beeped repeatedly when the driver exited without shutting off the engine. Nearly all keyless cars have similar features, and all cars (AFAIK) will beep and so forth if the seat belts are detached while the engine is running and/or the door is open.

I don't really think "keyless" has a lot to do with these accidents; a driver so oblivious or distracted could just as easily forget to turn off the key and take it.
What about deaf people who can't hear the beeps? The couple that died were older. Could they hear the beeps? Many seniors have hearing loss.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What about deaf people who can't hear the beeps? The couple that died were older. Could they hear the beeps? Many seniors have hearing loss.
And this is different from leaving a car running with a key... how?

Old 06-28-2019, 01:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
There had to other factors at work here. We have two vehicles with push button start/stop. Neither of us has ever forgotten to shut the vehicle off after parking it. If we did, both vehicles make a loud audible sound to remind us the engine is running. We never leave the fobs in the vehicle, so we would always get an audible alert that the vehicle is still running. Our house is 3½ years old, so the garage is isolated from the house. There is no path for CO to get into the house except through the door leading into the house, and it has self-closing hinges, so it's completely closed after we enter the house. Finally, there are two CO alarms that would go off if CO were to ever enter the house.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There had to other factors at work here.
Absolutely, and I think this is being blown out of proportion on a very selective/exceptional basis.

When someone shows total automotive CO deaths attributed to accident (e.g., not intentional - similar to these publicized cases) against the total of keyless-start cars involved, and there's a disproportionate number attributable to the lack of a key, this will rise above clickbait level.

It's up there with "Mood Rings Cause Cancer!" right now.

I also expect most cars to go keyless in the future, and I don't want my 2031 Mustang to scream bloody murder at me when I open the door prematurely, just because some very elderly people are capable of making mistakes with or without a key.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:35 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
They went to sleep in garage or something? Left garage door open for CO to fill entire house? I don't buy it.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And this is different from leaving a car running with a key... how?

With a physical key to remove it you need to turn the car off, with the remote you can just pick it up and walk away. A lot of these cars are very quiet and difficult to know they are running by sound. You mentioned beeping but they beep for a lot of things.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Don't own a keyless car but thought they all automatically shut off when you exit the vehicle. Or at least shut off when you are away at a certain distance.

Not on my parents Toyota, Id's imagine most are the same for the reason already given. I used valet parking at a Philly hospital with it and had the key in my pocket. When they went to retrieve the car of course they could not start it and had to ask me for the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive