Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:15 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I have an 2003 VW and it only came with one key. I was able to buy the cable that revealed the Secret Key Code SKC for $60, the key blank off of eBay $20, and a lock smith cut it for $15. So, for $95 I got my second key an the SKC for the car which the dealer can't even tell me anymore. This is for an older car I can't imagine what it costs for new cars.
I've done this with my last three cars with fancy keys, and I heartily endorse this method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:17 PM

127 posts, read 195,148 times
A dealer tried to pull this on me as well. I purchased a truck, the only key they provided didn't work. I complained to no avail. Finally I got fed up and made a BBB complaint. I guess the manager of the dealership was notified of the complaint so he called me and had the key ready for me to pick up on the same day.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:00 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

I was able to buy the cable that revealed the Secret Key Code SKC for $60, the key blank off of eBay $20, and a lock smith cut it for $15. So, for $95 I got my second key an the SKC for the car which the dealer can't even tell me anymore. This is for an older car I can't imagine what it costs for new cars.
Sorry, I don't understand, what is the "cable" that reveals the SKC?

Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo7217 View Post
It is a used car.

First time buying a car with one of these newer keys. I'm used to going to Wal-Mart and making a copy of a key for $1. Apparently these new keys cost at least $200!
The more I read this message board, the more I'm glad my car is 15 years old! But seriously, sooner or later I'll have to buy another car, so I'm glad about the education I get here about buying used. My next sale contract is going to be a mile long.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
VW vehicles have a secret key code to match the key to the car. More info somewhere in Ross-Tech: Home or by googling vw secret key code

Old 11-08-2015, 09:31 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
VW vehicles have a secret key code to match the key to the car. More info somewhere in Ross-Tech: Home or by googling vw secret key code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post

Unfortunately, Ross Tech has stated they will never allow their cable / software to reveal the SKC.

I got my VAG Tacho cable / software from

Sidewinderkey.com

Although, the recommend procedure is to obtain your SKC with the VAG Tacho and then use the Ross Tech VCDS cable to program the key.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,944 times
I only got one key with my '07 Edge. Dealer wanted $225 for a new one.

Ended up going to a local full-service locksmith and it was $200 out the door. They explained that it's so pricey because there is the cost of the equipment, yearly updates and tokens that cost for each install. They also said that you can have up to 8 keys dedicated to the car and if you need to add more because of lost keys (and 8 are paired to the car already), you have to go to the dealer to have them remove said lost keys.

Not sure about OP's car, but now I can buy keys from EBay and such and be able to program them myself. Going to get two more key for about $25 a pop and follow the instructions in the owner's manual in case I lose one.

OP might be able to get a decent discount on another key if they bought it from a dealer. If it was a used lot, I don't think there is much recourse after the fact.

Edit - Re-read the first post, and yes, take the car back for the settings reset. It was probably an oversight when your work was being done. Of course, this may not be worth it being that the dealer is an hour away unless you have another reason to be in the dealer's area. A local Ford dealer might do it out of goodwill, but I wouldn't expect it.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM

53 posts, read 83,228 times
Ok so I wrote to the dealer and they gave me two options: 1) Take the car in and they'd reset it and issue me a new key or 2) Take it to a local dealer and they would pay for it.

Leaning on #2 since it is closer to home (the dealer I bought the car from is over an hour away). Is there any catch with the 2nd option? I wonder if I pay for it that they wouldn't try to get out of paying me back somehow.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM

53 posts, read 83,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo7217 View Post
Ok so I wrote to the dealer and they gave me two options: 1) Take the car in and they'd reset it and issue me a new key or 2) Take it to a local dealer and they would pay for it.

Leaning on #2 since it is closer to home (the dealer I bought the car from is over an hour away). Is there any catch with the 2nd option? I wonder if I pay for it that they wouldn't try to get out of paying me back somehow.

Yo! Any tips on how not to get ripped off?

I wonder if I shouldn't get a quote and insist that the dealer send me a check before I have this done. I am thinking that if I go ahead and get it done then the dealer will find some type of excuse not to reimburse me

Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
You are vastly overcomplicating this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive