Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I can only afford about $200 a month for a car payment
As others have stated above. No.

This is the wrong way to spend such a large amount of money. This is the wrong way to buy a new car or a used car or for that matter a leased car.

Certainly medical bills can screw up a credit score. If that is the case you do have my sympathies.
If it is not medical bills then you need to do some reading and homework on finances. What is the interest rate? Do you know? What is the total cost of this car with interest? Do you know?

The last thing you need now is debt.

Maybe listen to Dave Ramsey on iHeart radio station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 01:20 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Look for a 2012 Ford Fusion. I'm 6' 4" and it fits me fine. Consumer Reports rates the car very highly.

I bought the Fusion used from my company and I've driven it for 3 years with no failures yet except 2 light bulbs.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
My friend just got a Honda CRV 80K miles, silver, black inside...for just under $10K.
I didn't want him to get an AWD, but oh well.....damage one tire...have to replace all of them, that's all.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:28 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
That's not true. You can still buy one tire and get it shaved to match the others.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My friend just got a Honda CRV 80K miles, silver, black inside...for just under $10K.
I didn't want him to get an AWD, but oh well.....damage one tire...have to replace all of them, that's all.
Does it get good gas mileage? I really like SUVs but trying to stick with a car since they get better gas mileage and less expensive to maintain.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:36 PM

84 posts, read 145,844 times
Quote:
I can only afford about $200 a month for a car payment. My credit score is a 600 and I have $1200 to put down on a car plus I am thinking about trading my current car, a 2000 toyota corolla with 203k miles on it(may end up selling it privately, but I don't know if I want the hassle)...the car is falling apart and I am afraid to keep it for much longer, especially because it has a significant oil leak that will cost me $2000 to fix and I need something reliable to be able to take on a five hour trip a few times a year to see family. I am not sure about getting another Toyota because I hear they consume way too much oil. I would like to get a car that is between a 2009-2013 model, that is at least mid-sized.

Cars I am interested in so far :

2013 Chevy Impala (test drove, nice interior and good room for my 6'3 frame)
2011 Mitsubishi Galant(dealer already sold it to someone else a few days after I test drove it)
Kia Optima (any model within the last five years)
Nissan Altima (haven't test drove this or the kia , but I LOVE the altima's body style)

Any other models that you would recommend within the price range I mentioned? What is your opinion on the above listed models?
Very Conservative option:
A $1,200 down payment, with a $500 trade-in on the Corolla, should get you $165 per month on a new Kia Rio LX, then you get their 10y/100k powertrain warranty. That should last.

More risk due to no warranty:
Any of the models you mentioned, but the best ones will be one owner cars with all records. Any of those will last as long as they changed the oil and kept the required preventative maintenance during that time frame.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 PM

84 posts, read 145,844 times
Quote:
So I just went to this dealership one mile from my house. I test drove a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with 81,963 miles on it for $10,995. I am in love with the car and it is hard to find a car like that around here. You don't see too many ford fusion SPORT cars for sale. I asked the dealer to let me take it to a mechanic for a PPI and they said no. The salesman then went on to say that they have a 90-day warranty on that specific car but most of their other used cars they don't have a warranty. He went on a 45 min tirade about how there are almost no mechanics that will let you take a car off of their lot to get inspected ( I haven't found one yet). He said that I could have a mechanic come to the dealer but they would just basically look the car over the same way I would since they wouldn't be able to put it on a lift. He told me that even if I don't buy from them , to just find a car I like and just go with it and stop making things complicated. He said a mechanic will just try to suck money out of me by telling me a whole bunch of things wrong with the car that may not even be wrong with it just to get me to spend a bunch of money fixing it. He said with new cars it is easier to keep shopping around, but when you find a used car that you like, it is hard to find others just like it. He just kept going on about how he and his children have never had their cars inspected and they just buy whatever they like. Then he said he didn't care if I bought from him or somewhere else, just to find something I like and stop overthinking it. Even if I get the car inspected, he says it can still break down.What do you think? He probably was full of crap, right?

I hate dealing with car salesmen.
It depends on how long you want to drive it, and if you want to be as safe as possible. I would never buy a used car with anything over 30k miles unless it was one owner with all records. If I liked the car, and it had multiple owner's then I would not buy it without all records.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:35 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I had 04 CR-V that did solid 25-27 mpg. 3rd generation does better than that.
CR-V is considered a bulletproof car and ranks number 1 in its class for decades.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:38 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
2010 Ford Fusion Problems, Defects & Complaints

vs

Honda CR-V Problems | CarComplaints.com

Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
So I just went to this dealership one mile from my house. I test drove a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with 81,963 miles on it for $10,995. I am in love with the car and it is hard to find a car like that around here. You don't see too many ford fusion SPORT cars for sale. I asked the dealer to let me take it to a mechanic for a PPI and they said no. The salesman then went on to say that they have a 90-day warranty on that specific car but most of their other used cars they don't have a warranty. He went on a 45 min tirade about how there are almost no mechanics that will let you take a car off of their lot to get inspected ( I haven't found one yet). He said that I could have a mechanic come to the dealer but they would just basically look the car over the same way I would since they wouldn't be able to put it on a lift. He told me that even if I don't buy from them , to just find a car I like and just go with it and stop making things complicated. He said a mechanic will just try to suck money out of me by telling me a whole bunch of things wrong with the car that may not even be wrong with it just to get me to spend a bunch of money fixing it. He said with new cars it is easier to keep shopping around, but when you find a used car that you like, it is hard to find others just like it. He just kept going on about how he and his children have never had their cars inspected and they just buy whatever they like. Then he said he didn't care if I bought from him or somewhere else, just to find something I like and stop overthinking it. Even if I get the car inspected, he says it can still break down.What do you think? He probably was full of crap, right?

I hate dealing with car salesmen.
Your hard on cash dont spend 11k for a car with 80k miles one it ( I like the Fusion, drive one myself actually). Spend 6-8k on a last model body hyundai elantra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive