Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:39 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You look at the map before you get to Tillamook, and see what numbered highway goes to Beaverton. Then you follow the highway into Tillamook, watching for the signpost that tells you where to turn for the highway that will take you to Beaverton. You don't keep the map on your lap, because you are capable of memorizing "Route 6 east" and you are paying enough attention that you will see the sign and remember to turn there. Once you are on route 6, you pull over at some nice spot along the way, and refresh your memory where the next turn will be.

I realize this is very challenging, but with practice and a lot of concentration, most people can master it.
Sorcery!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:49 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First, I can't "just use my GPS" because I don't have one, I don't need one, and I don't wish to surround myself with expensive toys and try to learn how to use them.

I can find 1456 Park Dr in Anytown before i leave home, on google maps, and write down the directions or rough out a map for myself (I don't have a printer, either, so I can't "just use" that). That requires a pen and a piece of paper, and there are still a few of us who have those lying around the house, too, and have even ascended the learning curve of mastering the use of the things. Battery, charger and connectivity not required. Remember those? Why make it harder on yourself? Why, I can even write my grocery list on a piece of paper, so I don't have to look at the screen on my cellphone when I'm at the store. (Are they still called cellphones? I don't have one of those, either.)

I have a $50 multi-purpose tablet, and i can download maps.me so I don't need to be online to zoom in on a detailed map of Anytown when I'm on the road. How much does a GPS cost, which can only do one thing?

And most importantly, none of the above need to be installed options or features permanently attached to my car (the topic of this thread). Like a flashlight or a ball point pen,, I can take them along with me in case I need them.
Or take google maps with you where ever you are (smartphone). And standalone GPS units can be purchased for probably $40-50 (check Amazon).

What if you're on the road and you forgot you had an appointment with a new doctor across down. Do you go home and get on your computer to find out the directions?

GPS is one of the best things to come along. You have to be living in the past if you don't want to take advantage of this service.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:24 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times
Default If in a northern climate--

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
For me it's:

Power one-touch (up and down) windows
Climate control w/ vents in backseat (so many cars skimp on this)
Leather (the synthetics smell like petrol to me)
Backup camera
High end audio system
CD/DVD player
Two USB ports
HOLD function (let's you take your foot off the brake at stoplights while car stays in Drive)
Power trunk/hatch
NEED TO ADD HEATED SEATS, STEERING WHEEL AND SIDE MIRRORS!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So you carry 300 paper maps of all the towns you might visit/drive through? Or do you just keep them all in the house and sort through them before any trip?

Sorry, paper maps sitting on the seat next to you or unfolded in front of you are a bad idea in modern times.

Paper maps don't tell you what lane you're going to need to be in to make an exit, especially on complex interstate interchanges. They don't get you around backed up traffic or find new routes around road construction.
Thank you for the map picture. I had not seen one before, and was confused.

Seriously, tho, maps are easily printed prior to a trip, in modern times.

They are also easy to use, in modern times.

As I've said before: I find a paper map useful for getting the big picture. Gps for turn by turn directions.

Fortunately, as a modern person,in modern times, With modern tools, I can use either or both tools, depending on what I'm attempting to accomplish.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 AM

I have heated seats but would like to experience heated steering wheel. My leather steering wheel gets cold and I don't like driving with gloves.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have heated seats but would like to experience heated steering wheel. My leather steering wheel gets cold and I don't like driving with gloves.
Heated seats are nice! I think I'd be a danger with them. Make me drowsy.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I drive older cars (2002 and 2004), so my list will be a bit different.

The main one--reliability. It MUST, MUST, MUST be reliable. Our 2002 has 200,000 miles on it and is uglier than my mother-in-law's face, but you can count on it. A car should not be stealing all of its owner's money needing things fixed which were already working to start with.

Otherwise:

Cold air conditioning
Interval wipers (standard anymore)
Seat belts which are easy to attach (that is, don't bury the anchors so deep into the seat cushions)
Keyless entry AND standard "non-chipped" keys, BOTH. I should be able to photocopy my key for $2 at a hardware store AND I want the convenience of keyless, BOTH
Smooth ride. I absolutely can't stand bumps. The ride must be SMOOTH, as in like a Lincoln Town Car with an air suspension driving on a road just finished up 2 weeks ago, it must be like that EVERYWHERE at ALL TIMES.
Quiet exhaust (no "sporty" characteristics)
No automatic things I can't easily disable--e.g., auto-dialing the police in case of an accident, locking the doors after I've unlocked them with the remote device because it took me longer than 5 seconds to subsequently open the doors
Good on gas, as in at least 55-60 miles per gallon AND with it still having good acceleration AND with it having plenty of passenger/cargo room, ALL of it
Small tires (13") that aren't so expensive to replace, yet STILL get good handling ANYWAY
Let me know when you find a car with ALL of these features. My 77 year old mother would LOVE one.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I drive older cars (2002 and 2004), so my list will be a bit different.

The main one--reliability. It MUST, MUST, MUST be reliable. Our 2002 has 200,000 miles on it and is uglier than my mother-in-law's face, but you can count on it. A car should not be stealing all of its owner's money needing things fixed which were already working to start with.

Otherwise:

Cold air conditioning
Interval wipers (standard anymore)
Seat belts which are easy to attach (that is, don't bury the anchors so deep into the seat cushions)
Keyless entry AND standard "non-chipped" keys, BOTH. I should be able to photocopy my key for $2 at a hardware store AND I want the convenience of keyless, BOTH
Smooth ride. I absolutely can't stand bumps. The ride must be SMOOTH, as in like a Lincoln Town Car with an air suspension driving on a road just finished up 2 weeks ago, it must be like that EVERYWHERE at ALL TIMES.
Quiet exhaust (no "sporty" characteristics)
No automatic things I can't easily disable--e.g., auto-dialing the police in case of an accident, locking the doors after I've unlocked them with the remote device because it took me longer than 5 seconds to subsequently open the doors
Good on gas, as in at least 55-60 miles per gallon AND with it still having good acceleration AND with it having plenty of passenger/cargo room, ALL of it
Small tires (13") that aren't so expensive to replace, yet STILL get good handling ANYWAY
Going to have to give up one or the other. I only seen 13" tires on smaller cars. Talking Paseo, Tercel, etc. You get the drift.

And ultra smooth car is generally going to be a bigger car (Avalon long with other cars you listed). Those won't have 13" tires due to bigger calipers/brakes

Old 12-10-2015, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So you used what smartphones use for GPS instead of taking it with you. But you're simply making more work for yourself just so you can brag about not using it. :rolleyes
I guess so. Just so I can brag about it. rolleyes.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
People claiming GPS superiority must not have encountered mistakes the device gives them. Both where I used to live and where I live now, drivers wander around befuddled because there is a dead end shown as through route, or a left turn where the software tells them to turn right...with NO right turn there at all...it goes on and on.

Maps can also have mistakes, but in my experience they are almost always accurate, or I should say accurate enough for street navigation. Also, if I am going somewhere unfamiliar in a congested area, I call and ask for directions before leaving. You would be surprised how frequently the responder tells me that the electronic directions are wrong.

After studying a paper map, if a location is in a city, I also write down a simple cheat sheet that gives me the detailed steps in the congested area. This is the only PostIt I might stick on the top of the steering wheel.

As for keeping maps, no need to take every map I own, just the relevant ones. They ride in a great travel bag that Duluth makes for vehicular bricabrac that contractors accumulate, and this bag happens to make a terrific roadtripper aid. If my husband and I are both traveling, the passenger helps navigate. We don't cooperate on everything in our lives, but we do with navigation. It is a safety concern.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-10-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive