Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I was going to mention tires also
Yah, but popping $6-800 for a new set of tires, just to see if it helps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yah, but popping $6-800 for a new set of tires, just to see if it helps?
No.....first determine the model, age, and tread depth of the current tires. Verify they aren't bargain tires that put tread wear before grip. Also verify they are the correct size. Then go from there.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
No.....first determine the model, age, and tread depth of the current tires. Verify they aren't bargain tires that put tread wear before grip. Also verify they are the correct size. Then go from there.
Even after doing that, if the tires fail those tests, there is no assurance that the pricey purchase of new tires will render sufficient improvement to satisfy the owner. That would still be speculative. It will also not improve at least half the deficiencies mentioned by the OP, such as turning radius and interior space, braking and acceleration.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even after doing that, if the tires fail those tests, there is no assurance that the pricey purchase of new tires will render sufficient improvement to satisfy the owner. That would still be speculative. It will also not improve at least half the deficiencies mentioned by the OP, such as turning radius and interior space.
If the tires fail all of the inspections I suggested they wouldn't be safe to stand next too.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:15 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
The car is nearly 10 years old. It is very likely the shocks/struts and bushings are all shot leading to atrocious handling. In addition you can have some cheap tires on it that aren't helping.

Also, get an alignment done. Alignment can have a large influence on how well a car handles....or doesn't.

Have you looked into this?
Totally agree with you. Tires can really mess up the way a vehicle drives and steers.Even tire pressure can really make a difference.

The OP should go test drive a few cars just like his.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM

34 posts, read 53,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Totally agree with you. Tires can really mess up the way a vehicle drives and steers.Even tire pressure can really make a difference.

The OP should go test drive a few cars just like his.
I did have an alignment done this past summer, along with tire rotation. Difference was practically non-existent. I should add that the tires still have a great deal of tread left on them.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 PM

And how about the suspension?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 PM

34 posts, read 53,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
....or if you really think a car that is based on one of the better platforms on the market and is universally praised for its handling is worse than a typical FWD sedan then maybe you ought to look into an alignment, some struts some tires etc.
Have you ever driven one? You really can't go solely by reviews. I did get an alignment and tire rotation done this past summer which didn't solve much of anything.

This review actually sums up my take on the car pretty well..too bad I didn't see beforehand: 2008 Infiniti G35x AWD Review

And I don't think it has anything to do with struts or shocks as it has 65k on it and receives regular inspections and nothing negative ever comes up. Part of the reason why I'm questioning selling it, can't deny that it has been relatively inexpensive (besides gas mileage).

Selling a car, let alone buying one, is a huge hassle. Just want some insight as to weather or not it's really worth it to go through all of that when the car isn't technically causing me any serious problems. 75% of me says "life is too short to drive something you don't enjoy", but the other 25% of me is saying "it's just a car, it gets you where you need to be, and who knows, by some miracle you could even regret it"...

And I could just throw money at it hoping it gets better, but who knows if that will solve the problem.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:24 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
OK since you can't stand how it drive son the road how does it drive in the air???

Old 12-07-2015, 08:45 PM

If you think a 9 year old car can't possibly have blown suspension you are incorrect and the person you are paying for advice isn't too far off.

I had a 10 year old car with 69k and the front struts looked fine. No fluid leakage. Did the bounce test and the car didn't bounce excessively. No abnormal tire wear. All of the things a mechanic would check. But my automotive common sense said it was time to replace the struts. As I removed the front strut the piston collapsed into the strut body. Blown. Totally blown. The car handled so much better after the new ones went in.

Road and Track said your car can hold .84G on the skidpad. That is good.

Just one look at the mess that is your front suspension tells me there are a lot of bushings and failure points. I am bettting if you did a suspension refresh it would be a different car.

And with a complicated front suspension system I would be weary of buying an older car unless it had already been addressed.

Edited to curb my enthusiasm on the skid pad number.

Last edited by wankel7; 12-07-2015 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive