Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 03:45 PM

576 posts, read 823,611 times

Advertisements

I drive a 16 year old Honda Accord that's still in good condition mechanically and reliable.. I'm planning to drive it to the ground. However, my summer tires are now worn out -so I have to buy new tires. I feel more comfortable buying new tires as I'm not trained on what to look for. I purchased a used tires last year and one of them blew in the high way.

I already decided to go for new despite driving an old car. Just looking for other people insights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Absolutely. They're the only thing really connecting you to the road. Huge difference between a good set of tires and some budget/worn out ones.

Get the highest rated ones on Tirerack that you can afford. That is do your research there at least to select a tire. Some local shops can match/beat their prices.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Go ahead a get new tires. Look for those that a tire company may be having a sale. Honda can live on for years and miles. Give your Honda an extra nice gift for Christmas.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:11 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I'd go with a good set of tires. Really shouldn't cheap out on tires. Think safety.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Tires should always be new. The inky way I'll put a old tire n is if I'm in the middle f nowhere and it's the only tire I can get. And as soon as I hit civilization it's getting new tires.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
I'm just waiting for the guys to come in here and say they've bought nothing but used tires for 30 years and haven't had any issues at all. Zero. Zilch. None!

Tires in that size shouldn't be too expensive. Like another poster suggested, try Tire Rack. But my advice to also to shop locally, you might be surprised at how close local shops can come to online tire pricing. Remember with buying online, you have tax, shipping (tires are bulky and heavy so shipping isn't cheap) and installation (typically in the $15-20 for mounting/balancing per tire).

Why do you have summer tires? Why not go with all season tires?

Old 12-11-2015, 04:27 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I drive a 16 year old Honda Accord that's still in good condition mechanically and reliable.. I'm planning to drive it to the ground. However, my summer tires are now worn out -so I have to buy new tires. I feel more comfortable buying new tires as I'm not trained on what to look for. I purchased a used tires last year and one of them blew in the high way.

I already decided to go for new despite driving an old car. Just looking for other people insights
I pretty well agree with everyone here that's posted so far...If your vehicle is in great shape..give her some new wheels to operate with!! Not sure where you live but given so many freak storms..may I suggest "All Season" tires..If you drive a manual transmission..you have full control even in horrific driving conditions short of FLOODS!!

Your Honda has treated you well so why not treat her well

Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post

no oyu should never buy new tires for an old car, just drive them until the explode and get rid of the car as well:sma ck:

of course you should buy new tires

Old 12-11-2015, 04:39 PM

576 posts, read 823,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Why do you have summer tires? Why not go with all season tires?
Actually they were all season but I prefer rotating them with winter tires as I find that they last longer .I also find I get better traction in snow using winter tires vs all seasons

Old 12-11-2015, 04:40 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
If you're driving the car tires are the most important for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive