Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 12:49 PM

997 posts, read 850,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You don't need to take ALL his advice to heart. You can smoky use his structure for being debt free. You don't have to use his ELPs or fund investment strategy. I sure as heck dont. His strategy fir the mist oars doesn't apply to me. I purchase however it's best for my finances to purchase. I've bought cash, loan and lease on vehicles. It just matters what I need for that time or looking into the future planning.

His message is simply don't get n insurmountable debt over cars houses or baubles. Sadly most people feel that buy having the big house and expensive car and thriving money around that's how you show success.

I guarantee you if you give a person a $100,000 cc and 100,000 cash the money will be spent differently
Elec, the sheeple that call into his show cant decipher which advice is good or bad. Before they know it (after the baby steps, lol) they will be buying his books, graduating from financial peace university and signing up (more money) to become a counseler. You know, Daves counselers have the heart of a teacher! He's very convincing to the mentally challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 12:57 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Elec, the sheeple that call into his show cant decipher which advice is good or bad. Before they know it (after the baby steps, lol) they will be buying his books, graduating from financial peace university and signing up (more money) to become a counseler. You know, Daves counselers have the heart of a teacher! He's very convincing to the mentally challenged.
Did Dave do something to upset you? Perhaps beat you up and steal your lunch money?

You've got a lot of animosity towards him.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:14 PM

997 posts, read 850,148 times
Tax, haha. No, but he would take it (lunch money). Animosity? Just calling it like I see it. Hiding behind "the cloth) to peddle his products. At least the other radio guy, Clark Howard gives useful links to save money, yes even term insurance, lol. Sorry but the guy is a total douche bag.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:42 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
You must be one of his sheep! And yes he has said to sell a $4-$5k car and buy a $1k car, I heard it,...
He probably said that 25 years ago. He's not saying it now. However, your claim sounds like BS to me.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

About 6 years back I listened to his show a few times on podcast because a few of my friends said he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. So had to hear his take. After about the second podcast and into the third I pretty much got his whole rhetoric.
Some of his advice does make sense and some to me really doesn't. Getting out of debt and carrying no debt or having manageable debt is ok. I've never bought one of his books or signed up for anything from DR. I don't hate the guy and I don't dismiss all his advice. It's just that most of his advice isn't good for financially savvy people or people that are savers to begin with. But it's a good way for people who aren't to understand that there is another way then being neck deep in debt. And if his way gets people out if debt I'm ok with that. It's when the whole buy my book, go to my classes use my people for your investing when his advice falls apart for me.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:01 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
About 6 years back I listened to his show a few times on podcast because a few of my friends said he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. So had to hear his take. After about the second podcast and into the third I pretty much got his whole rhetoric.
Some of his advice does make sense and some to me really doesn't. Getting out of debt and carrying no debt or having manageable debt is ok. I've never bought one of his books or signed up for anything from DR. I don't hate the guy and I don't dismiss all his advice. It's just that most of his advice isn't good for financially savvy people or people that are savers to begin with. But it's a good way for people who aren't to understand that there is another way then being neck deep in debt. And if his way gets people out if debt I'm ok with that. It's when the whole buy my book, go to my classes use my people for your investing when his advice falls apart for me.
I see it like this, if you need another man to tell you how to keep your finances in order and to control or eliminate you're debt, then you're not too bright to begin with.

FYI- I'm speaking in general. My post wasn't towards you. ��

Last edited by louie0406; 12-20-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 03:08 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I see it like this, if you need another man to teach you how to keep your finances in order and to control or eliminate you're debt, then you're not too bright to begin with.

FYI- I'm speaking in general. My post wasn't towards you. 😉
There are plenty of bright people, with good jobs/professions/businesses, that make a lot of money, that don't understand these things. There are lots of personal finance issues that aren't intuitive, and what many believe to be "common sense" behaviors are just wrong.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I see it like this, if you need another man to teach you how to keep your finances in order and to control or eliminate you're debt, then you're not too bright to begin with.

FYI- I'm speaking in general. My post wasn't towards you. 😉
I know man no worries

But seriously there are people who get so deep in something they simply see it as a hopeless and have no idea where to start to get out. So they just keep doing the same thing because that's how they always did it. Lots of people live on that monthly income amount. I make XYz amount so I can afford to buy XY amount OF . If I need more I'll borrow or put in my card and hopefully z covers it.
Like everything else finances are not understood by everyone.

Hey I've been in unwanted debt before. We got into about 10k years and years ago. (Granted its laughable today standards but 18 years ago it was huge) We just stopped any frivolous spending buckled down and paid it off. To us that was scary and unacceptable.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
That's brutal, financing in that situation is suicide. Imagine how many people are in her situation that do it anyway. That's why these scum bag lenders are everywhere.
That's why I'm trying to put the brakes on it. It is suicide for her. She works in a small town and only drives a couple miles each way to work, and on any longer travel, we take my car. There is no reason at all for her to get into debt again. She is finally debt-free after an easy bankruptcy with almost no interruption to her day to day life. She needs to keep it that way.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
You're already making the same mistake a lot of people make going car shopping. You are shopping based on payment because you're working on a monthly budget.
You are doing it right. Keep that car running for now with the least amount of money outlay , save money to pay off all debt. Put a bit away for savings and emergency later for a car etc once out of debt.
Why is she shopping for a new washer and dryer. Use your old ones till they are broken.
The only time I replace appliances is when they break and are too expensive to fix. Our dryer broke. Took it apart bad belt. Replaced it for $20. Washer broke. Bad door switch $10. Had them for 5 years. Still working great
She is shopping based on payment because she doesn't have enough cash to buy anything outright now. My whole idea was for her to "make a payment to herself" for ten months. Her old car payment was $400, and she was current on that. If she makes a $400/month payment into savings, she can have enough for a much more reliable $4k-$5k car in a year. We found some nice, reliable cars in that range when looking a few weeks ago.

The Pontiac ought to be fixed to get it safe and as reliable as can be. If she buys this five year old Hyundai we looked at this week, she will be making a $250/month payment on a car that will be ten years old. Horrible.

I just threw the washer/dryer example in as what she could afford in a couple of months by steering clear of the car payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive