Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry SE that I bought new. The only thing that I am disappointed about is that the air conditioning is not as good as my 1995 Camry was. The 1995 Camry froze you out in a few minutes, whereas my 2005 has not been as good from the start. We bought the car in October of 2005 when air conditioning was not needed. It was a new car and we just did not think about the air conditioning. My husband added the R134 a few years ago, and it was a little colder, but no where near my 1995's performance. We have even replaced the cabin filter a few times. Nothing works. Does anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,946,996 times
I've never been a Toyota anything that the A/C worked worth a crap. My brothers Tacomas, his wifes Four Runners Limited, my nephews Tundras, they all suck at A/C. I just assumed all Toyotas were like that since I'm not talking about one or two vehicles, this is many. I would suggest taking it to any ASE shop and have them check the freon level and pressures. It could be as simple as a fan clutch not working right or a bad condenser. But at least you'll know what is wrong if anything.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,013 times
Thank you. I will do that. Thank you for your advice! I live in Arizona where it gets to be 100 degrees and over, so it is frustrating to deal with this.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:09 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,802,172 times
This vehicle has no fan clutch for starters but there are many sensors / switches that control the A/C that will need to be checked as well as the freon levels, see below.

Ambient Temperature Sensor / Switch

Cabin Temperature Sensor / Switch

Compressor Speed Sensor

Evaporator Temperature Sensor / Switch

Refrigerant Pressure Sensor / Switch

Solar Sensor

Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
I have 2007n Camry and 2012 Highlander.
I do see the point to AC being sort of on a lame side. That being said, I contribute this to rather peculiarly working per desifn Denso system, Toyota uses. As we had 99 RX300 and it was same, both heating and cooling. There is something in those cars that is geared more towards "not fogging" than "cooling". Too smart. System does what it wants to do, no matter what you try with dials and settings.
OP, for Arizona your good investment will be full blown window tint.
Also, for 2005, she definitely should be checked on proper freon charge levels.
I also equip all of my cars with window visors. Then, moving, when you crack both passenger side windows down about an inch, you end up with a very pleasant circular breeze across the cabin that works quite well as AC. I really run AC very very little on my cars because of this.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 AM

2,164 posts, read 3,601,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've never been a Toyota anything that the A/C worked worth a crap. My brothers Tacomas, his wifes Four Runners Limited, my nephews Tundras, they all suck at A/C. I just assumed all Toyotas were like that since I'm not talking about one or two vehicles, this is many. I would suggest taking it to any ASE shop and have them check the freon level and pressures. It could be as simple as a fan clutch not working right
There is no fan clutch on this car just as there rarely is on any FWD vehicle.

My shop is in Austin, Texas where we have more than an occasional 100* + summer day. Insufficient AC is not typical of the many Toyotas we work on.

Don in Austin

Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM

4,565 posts, read 3,767,298 times
Hmm, I wasn't aware Toyota was bad on their A/C units. I have been in my family's 2013 Lexus ES350 and IS and they are powerful with their A/C units, blasting the cabin in NC humid weather. I assumed Toyotas were just like the Lexus?

Get some good quality window tint for sure. Also, like someone said, check the pressure and quantity of refrigerant in the system. A small leak can slowly let out refrigerant over time.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM

2,164 posts, read 3,601,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Hmm, I wasn't aware Toyota was bad on their A/C units. I have been in my family's 2013 Lexus ES350 and IS and they are powerful with their A/C units, blasting the cabin in NC humid weather. I assumed Toyotas were just like the Lexus?

Get some good quality window tint for sure. Also, like someone said, check the pressure and quantity of refrigerant in the system. A small leak can slowly let out refrigerant over time.
Yes, as far as I am concerned, most Lexus models are simply premium Toyotas.

Yes, window tint can help.

Yes, a set of professional gauges should be put on the system. An Autozone "recharge" kit with a low side gauge only usually results in a grossly incorrect quantity of refrigerant in the system. The best program is to evacuate and recharge with the factory specified weight put back in.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive