Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
And no, I dont have time to "shop" for tires anymore.

If you have time to post here, you have time to research tires.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Tirerack.com is a great site for researching tires and comparing prices. I have never bought tires at Costco, but have bout probably 5 to 6 sets of tires over the past 15 years from Sams Club and no retailer in my area (southern NH) can match their pricing. And the guys at the Sams in Manchester NH do a great job on installation....

Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Ill never buy another Michelin. Everybody I know that has had them have wore out before 40000. I have 4 to replace Saturday, and they have a tad over 40000 on them, and I dont trust them at all now, and havent for some time. Nitto is the only company that makes a tire for it that isnt an arm and a leg. And no, I dont have time to "shop" for tires anymore. Ive been doing that for 6 weeks or more, and the Nitto is priced right, and Ive had very, very good results with my last 2 sets.
I have never like Michelin tires. They ride hard and don't handle well... I've had better experience with Goodyear, Cooper, and Kumho...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Tirerack.com is a great site for researching tires and comparing prices. I have never bought tires at Costco, but have bout probably 5 to 6 sets of tires over the past 15 years from Sams Club and no retailer in my area (southern NH) can match their pricing. And the guys at the Sams in Manchester NH do a great job on installation....
For my tires TireRack was $50 higher in price and they did not include shipping and installation. I've had n some cases better prices with instant rebates at some tire shops, Costco comes in cheaper at times. The tires are the same its a matter of who can get me the best once. I gave no problem making one shop work against the other to get my business.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 AM

135 posts, read 169,937 times
you buy (insert product here) at costco because you liked to buy (insert other product here) at costco.

Costco is a good business because they are aware of this behavior and capitalize on it without seemingly gouging the customer, or making it very easy for them to be satisfied later if it wasn't achieved upon purchase.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
I think the smartest thing you can do is buy tires from your service provider.
Loyality works two ways .

Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I think the smartest thing you can do is buy tires from your service provider.
Loyality works two ways .
But I dont sell tires.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Lots of reasons why we get our tires at Costco.

(1) Generally take under an hour even for 4 new tires so I can do my shopping while I wait and kill 2 birds with one stone. However, I only go in for tire service on weeknights. Likely different story on weekends.
(2) Normally only have one or two choices of tire per car but those choices are always good quality. I don't have to worry about ending up with crap tires since they don't carry crap tires.
(3) Closer to my house than the dealer and much faster service.
(4) No high pressure sales tactics. If you do have a choice of two or more different tires, they will give you a fair comparison of each and not automatically try to up-sell you to the most expensive tire. And since they only sell tires, unlike the dealer, they won't try to sell you 5 other things they say need replacing on your car while you're there.
(5) Free rotate, balance, flat repair, etc.
(6) Regular prices are about the same or less than the dealer and other tire shops for the same brand/size tire.
(7) Offer $70 off coupons several times a year. And if the service people know a coupon is coming in the next few weeks, which they usually do, they will tell you about it and advise you to wait if you can to get the better price.
(8) Employees are friendly, experienced, and most of them have been there for years.

Last edited by patches403; 12-30-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Although Cooper is an excellent tire.

All I ever buy now is Cooper's for my cars and truck. High quality, well priced tires. Locally owned tire shop. Win, win for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
I went to WalMart for tires once.

We worked out what I thought was a great deal on six tires for my truck. Then they proceeded to tell me they couldn't install them because my dually pick up wouldn't fit on their lift.

I asked them why they thought I was buying six tires, and if they had ever heard of a floor jack.......

It might just be me, but I cant do business with stupid....

We gave my kid a hand-me-down family war wagon and I decided to put new tires on it for him. Took it to WalMart for what I thought was a reasonable deal for an "around town" set of tires.

Well the tires were fine, but the first time I took off the hubcaps to rotate the set, I found two lugs were broken off and gone! Holy crap! Typically, I watch like a hawk when people work on my vehicles, but I wasn't paying attention this time. Anyway, this just reinforces my determination to watch people work on ALL my cars, regardless of what they're doing to them!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:23 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If you have time to post here, you have time to research tires.
If you would take the time to read my post you would see I have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive