Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times

Advertisements

1998 Honda Accord DX - 149,000 miles

Pros: decent handling and suspension for a car that is almost 20 years old. Very good fuel economy. Very low cost of ownership. Have never had an expensive repair on this car. Repairs are seldom. Parts are reasonable.

Cons: 5 speed manual shifts like an old Hyundai, which basically feels like shifting a pen in a tissue box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:04 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
1998 Honda Accord DX - 149,000 miles

Pros: decent handling and suspension for a car that is almost 20 years old. Very good fuel economy. Very low cost of ownership. Have never had an expensive repair on this car. Repairs are seldom. Parts are reasonable.

Cons: 5 speed manual shifts like an old Hyundai, which basically feels like shifting a pen in a tissue box.
I have NEVER heard of a Honda 5-speed manual that doesn't have excellent shift feel. They also tend to have the smoothest clutch takeup and they're the best cars to learn to drive a manual. Compared to my Hondas and Acuras, my Mazda3 shifts like a Mack truck and even after 10 years it's almost impossible to start from a stop with complete smoothness...

I had a '96 Accord DX back in the day and the transmission was one of my favorite things about it. I didn't care for the lack of all things power, cruise control and other basics.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
My Mazda3 shifts like a Mack truck and even after 10 years it's almost impossible to start from a stop with complete smoothness...

I had a 00 Mazda Protégé & it never missed a shift even with 180,000 miles on it. Never had a problem stopping it either.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

- Big and strong 472-cu-engine; reliable engine & drivetrain
- Thick and plush leather seats
- 133" wheelbase provides a very smooth ride
- The general styling and large amount of chrome
- Real interior wood trim
- Carpeted footrests in the rear
- Roomy trunk and large interior

Dislikes:

- Fuel mileage (about 11 mpg average)

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine (9-passenger)

- Magnificent overall luxury; an actual limousine. An attention-getter
- Big, smooth, quiet and reliable 500-cu-in engine; reliable drivetrain
- The 151.5" wheelbase and 252.2" overall length makes for an incredibly smooth ride
- The power-operated glass partition window
- The rear jump seats and footrests
- The combination of front leather/rear crushed velour seats
- Can see all four fender tips from the driver's seat
- The rear control panel (operates both rear windows, partition window, power door locks, reading lamp, climate control and radio)

Dislikes:

- Fuel mileage (10.5 mpg)
- Can be hard to park even though most parking lots in my area are big
- Being a limousine, the extra weight does affect acceleration; the 3.15:1 axle ratio helps somewhat.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Feels like a luxury car should... leather seats, plenty of room inside and in the trunk, good ride and almost 200" long
- Good longevity
- Easy to drive/steer; easy freeway cruising
- Good fuel mileage for its size and weight (4,010 lbs). Has averaged as much as 21 mpg.

Dislikes:

- The engine could use some more low-end torque
- The front seat is not quite as soft as I like
- Has more plastic compared to '70s and earlier Lincolns
So what did you do with the other 19" of the car?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So what did you do with the other 19" of the car?
Someone stole it!

Actually, it should read "almost 220" long!"

Another error: The "can see all four fenders from the driver's seat" applies to the '69 Fleetwood, not the limousine.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
2015 Chrysler 300S

I love pretty much everything about it. It isnt a Hemi but at 300hp it will still spin the tires if I punch it while at the same time returning 30hwy mpg.

There are really only a couple of things I dont like and they are seriously petty.

The doors open VERY wide and once they "catch" to where they wont close on you you cant reach it (and I am 6'4")
I find myself hitting the menu/phone functions just from normal driving because of their layout
There is a bit of a delay in the backup camera. My previous car was real time but this seems more digitized so there is a delay.

Again those things are exceptionally minor.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
2014 Taurus SHO:
Likes: Power, handling, low NVH, AWD, stealth factor, incredibly roomy and comfortable, giant trunk, massive performance gains for very little money
Dislikes: Outward visibility, people will always equate the Taurus badge with low-end rental cars
I dealt with the bolded even after I traded it in. (Mine was a 2010 and a piece of garbage.)

Trying to explain to people what it was usually brought comments like "I wouldnt have expected you to drive a Taurus" or "my grandma had a Taurus once"

Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I had a 00 Mazda Protégé & it never missed a shift even with 180,000 miles on it. Never had a problem stopping it either.
I had to replace the manual transmission with one from a low-mileage salvage vehicle when it only had 55k miles on it! It had a bent shift fork and would not stay in 3rd gear. As soon as you released the clutch, it popped back into neutral. It cost $500 for one with 12k miles on it vs. $700+ to have mine fixed. Prior to this vehicle, I've put over 450,000 miles on Hondas and Acuras with manual transmissions and never had a transmission problem until the Mazda.

I'm not sure what you meant about stopping? I made the comment that my Mazda is difficult to start off smoothly from a stop, it's a tad jerky even after 10 years of practice. Another problem I've never had.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
2011 Audi A4 Avant
Pros
sporty drive with a great turbo
good mpg, I was averaging 34mpg in the summer a bit less on winter fuel
love the style, the interior is good quality and its a hatch so it can still carry a load home if needs be
cheap insurance

Cons ...
hmm I'll get back to you when I think of one

Old 01-24-2016, 06:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
2015 Chrysler 300S

I love pretty much everything about it. It isnt a Hemi but at 300hp it will still spin the tires if I punch it while at the same time returning 30hwy mpg.

There are really only a couple of things I dont like and they are seriously petty.

The doors open VERY wide and once they "catch" to where they wont close on you you cant reach it (and I am 6'4")
I find myself hitting the menu/phone functions just from normal driving because of their layout
There is a bit of a delay in the backup camera. My previous car was real time but this seems more digitized so there is a delay.

Again those things are exceptionally minor.

My Jeep probably has the same steering wheel control layout because I am forever activating my phone. Jeep has the worst steering wheel controls I have ever seen. And I hate those controls on the backside because I find myself changing radio stations from time to time. My Hyundai Sonata, on the other hand, has awesome steering wheel controls. FCA and GM could take some lessons from Hyundai on how to position steering wheel controls. Maybe Ford too, but I haven't bought a Ford in almost 50 years, so I'm not sure about their controls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive