Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,817,918 times

Advertisements

I can only afford about $200 a month for a car payment. My credit score is a 600 and I have $1200 to put down on a car plus I am thinking about trading my current car, a 2000 toyota corolla with 203k miles on it(may end up selling it privately, but I don't know if I want the hassle)...the car is falling apart and I am afraid to keep it for much longer, especially because it has a significant oil leak that will cost me $2000 to fix and I need something reliable to be able to take on a five hour trip a few times a year to see family. I am not sure about getting another Toyota because I hear they consume way too much oil. I would like to get a car that is between a 2009-2013 model, that is at least mid-sized.

Cars I am interested in so far :

2013 Chevy Impala (test drove, nice interior and good room for my 6'3 frame)
2011 Mitsubishi Galant(dealer already sold it to someone else a few days after I test drove it)
Kia Optima (any model within the last five years)
Nissan Altima (haven't test drove this or the kia , but I LOVE the altima's body style)

Any other models that you would recommend within the price range I mentioned? What is your opinion on the above listed models?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,190,667 times
Chevy Impala is OK, check a Carfax since many of them were used by Avis, Hertz etc. Ford Taurus and Chrysler 200, same deal. These are among the cheapest family cars on the used market because they are fleet darlings. Tauruses seem to sell for less than similar year/mileage Fusions even though they cost more new.

I'd avoid Mitsubishi; they have been notorious for head gasket issues forever. In the rare event I see one on the road, it's usually blowing blue smoke.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,159,592 times
Only buy a LTZ model if you get an Impala, trust me,they look better handle better, but tires are more expensive than LT models.
Also check out a $10-12 V6 Ford Fusion as well.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 AM

19,120 posts, read 27,731,555 times
None of those you have listed, OP.
Grow up and stop listening to rumors.
Buy a Camry with J VIN. SOME, I say - some have a bit of excessive oil consumption, like mine does. That shows as adding half a quart of oil every about 2 000 miles. What, it's gonna ruin your budget?
Stellar cars otherwise. You need reliable vehicle, not one that will not "take oil" but milk you on all kinds of repairs otherwise.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,215,000 times
I also like the Impala, but recently bought a used Buick Lucerne with a 3.8 engine. Can get them at a fairly reasonable price. They quit making the 3.8 in 2008. I read up on the Impala and there were some issues with either the timing chain, or head gasket--don't recall now exactly what the problem was. I have the same issue you have as I am fairly tall. I set out to get a Toyota Avalon and quickly found that my head hits the ceiling. The Buick, though, has great leg room and head room. I have ridden in Camry's and my knees are in the dash and there is little head room. I drove a Taurus and found that my right leg collides with the center console. The center console is huge in the Taurus and I felt a little claustrophobic in it. Actually, I really like the looks of the Ford Edge. I did not drive one, but that would have been next on my list to check out if I could find one that is front wheel drive only. I think the price would be higher though.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,164,665 times
The 600 credit score says you should keep your current car.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,743,832 times
The Malibu is worth a look too, they seem to have held up fairly well from what I see.

Definitely stay away from Mitsubishi! Also stay away from the 2011-2012 Sonata/Optima due to the engine recall.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,447,997 times
I'm another who things you're headed down the wrong fork in the road. 600 credit indicates either you simply don't have history or you struggle to make payments. So pay yourself, save up money so you can buy a vehicle, cash, without needing to make payments. Then use that cash to help you rebuild your credit by taking out a secure loan through a bank (they take your money, put in into a CD and write you a loan ~ you rebuild credit, they have a guarantee on their loan).

As for what car to buy? Once you're past 3~4 years it's about the Individual, specific, vehicle and how it was maintained. You can buy a clapped out, won't make it around the block, Honda/Toyota or a (not sure what people consider unreliable, VW?) VW that'll give you no issues over the next 100,000 miles for the same money. Heck, they can Look to be in the same outward condition too... it's how they were maintained.

So, save your money and keep your current vehicle. When you can afford something different (you can't right now IMHO), shop EVERYTHING in your price range and look for the most well maintained option. Don't get emotional about it, it's just a means of getting from point A to point B, and you'll only keep the Best of options for ~5 years anyway.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 4,124,793 times
I second the recommendation of a used Buick Lucerne with a 3.8L engine. Or get a Buick Lacrosse with the same engine. You should easily get more than 250,000 miles out of either if you get the regular recommended maintenance. They have plenty of room inside, something that is hard to find in a car nowadays, and the gas mileage isn't bad either.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,817,918 times
So I just went to this dealership one mile from my house. I test drove a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with 81,963 miles on it for $10,995. I am in love with the car and it is hard to find a car like that around here. You don't see too many ford fusion SPORT cars for sale. I asked the dealer to let me take it to a mechanic for a PPI and they said no. The salesman then went on to say that they have a 90-day warranty on that specific car but most of their other used cars they don't have a warranty. He went on a 45 min tirade about how there are almost no mechanics that will let you take a car off of their lot to get inspected ( I haven't found one yet). He said that I could have a mechanic come to the dealer but they would just basically look the car over the same way I would since they wouldn't be able to put it on a lift. He told me that even if I don't buy from them , to just find a car I like and just go with it and stop making things complicated. He said a mechanic will just try to suck money out of me by telling me a whole bunch of things wrong with the car that may not even be wrong with it just to get me to spend a bunch of money fixing it. He said with new cars it is easier to keep shopping around, but when you find a used car that you like, it is hard to find others just like it. He just kept going on about how he and his children have never had their cars inspected and they just buy whatever they like. Then he said he didn't care if I bought from him or somewhere else, just to find something I like and stop overthinking it. Even if I get the car inspected, he says it can still break down.What do you think? He probably was full of crap, right?

I hate dealing with car salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive