Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 AM

207 posts, read 496,947 times

Advertisements

Ok! I own a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban that my mom used to have and over it's 13 years it has gone through a lot.

It got hit by a Ford F-250 Super Duty Truck on it's side and it didn't even get a large dent at all.

The time I have had it, on accident, I ran into the what was essentially worlds toughest poll so to speak. It was small, but made out of cemented concrete. It destroyed my bumper and damaged my grill pretty badly. When I got the bumper replaced and my grill repaired, I noticed that those were the only parts of the car that got damaged. I also on the side, felt the rest of my car's exterior seemed to be made of pretty heavy metal.

Now I know that no car out there, even ones made back in the late 1940s could withstand being hit by a concrete poll head on without it's bumper and grill being either destroyed of heavily damaged. Especially the bumper.

Given that my car has been through quite a lot during it's time, the truck hitting it included, I wonder if Chevrolet Suburbans made from the early 90s all the way to 2006 were made out of steel.

My question is, what exterior metal were Chevrolet Suburbans from 1992-2006 made out of? Were they made out of steel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Rolled steel.
That is - steel from mills that comes in rolls.
Most cars and trucks made out of metal use the same type rolled steel.
The Suburban of that vintage used standard rolled steel.

The Suburban is made on the pickup truck frame. The bumpers of that vintage truck were also chrome plated steel.

I witnessed an accident with a pickup truck and a front wheel drive sedan. The pickup truck was going straight. The pickup truck was going about 40 - 45 MPH. The sedan had cut out in front of the truck and making a right turn off a side road.
The pickup truck hit the rear of the sedan. The whole rear of the sedan was pushed into the back seat area. Crushed up like an accordion. I looked at the pickup truck. There was a very minor small scratch on the front bumper of the pickup truck.

Trucks today are still mostly body on frame. Other then Honda Ridgeline.
The large SUV's are still body on frame - using the manufactures truck frame.

Many of the SUV's are switching to unibody - no frame.
The Ford Explorer and the Chevrolet Trailblazer - no more body on frame. After 2008 or thereabouts. Date varies by manufacturer.
The metal chromed bumper seems to have almost disappeared.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:09 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
The rear hatch on the Suburban is aluminum. At least the one on my 2002 Suburban is. But yeah, most of the truck is standard automotive steel.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
From the way people drive them, adamantium.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,735,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
Ok! I own a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban that my mom used to have and over it's 13 years it has gone through a lot.

It got hit by a Ford F-250 Super Duty Truck on it's side and it didn't even get a large dent at all.

The time I have had it, on accident, I ran into the what was essentially worlds toughest poll so to speak. It was small, but made out of cemented concrete. It destroyed my bumper and damaged my grill pretty badly. When I got the bumper replaced and my grill repaired, I noticed that those were the only parts of the car that got damaged. I also on the side, felt the rest of my car's exterior seemed to be made of pretty heavy metal.

Now I know that no car out there, even ones made back in the late 1940s could withstand being hit by a concrete poll head on without it's bumper and grill being either destroyed of heavily damaged. Especially the bumper.

Given that my car has been through quite a lot during it's time, the truck hitting it included, I wonder if Chevrolet Suburbans made from the early 90s all the way to 2006 were made out of steel.

My question is, what exterior metal were Chevrolet Suburbans from 1992-2006 made out of? Were they made out of steel?
The cheapest steel apparently. I had a 2004 K2500 Suburban and it started rusting within 2 years. My 1998 Land Cruiser? No body rust after 17 years.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The rear hatch on the Suburban is aluminum. At least the one on my 2002 Suburban is. But yeah, most of the truck is standard automotive steel.
I just found out. Yeah, on all sides a 2002 Suburban is made out of steel, but here is the difference from 90s and 2000s SUV's and Trucks alike and ones from the 80s and prior:

Simply put, the thickness and the exact type of steel.

Older cars used thicker gauges, up to 21, newer cars use thinner gauge, but use stronger steels.

That was the case with the Chevy Suburban up until 2007 when they switched to having them made out of Aluminum instead. Ever since 2007, they have had an aluminum exterior. Good thing I don't one of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The cheapest steel apparently. I had a 2004 K2500 Suburban and it started rusting within 2 years. My 1998 Land Cruiser? No body rust after 17 years.
You do know that the Land Cruiser is a foreign car or more accurately an SUV made from a Japanese company, which typically have made better and more outstanding cars to begin with. That said, I don't doubt that the Land Cruiser has always been the better vehicle when it comes to the quality of the exterior.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I believe that. I put my thumb up against the bed of a 99-02 body style Chevy and that bed side flexed noticeably. The 94 Ranger I had at the time? Couldn't budge it. I love that front end a lot, but I keep realizing why I won't pull the trigger on a Tahoe or Suburban as a backup set of wheels.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:47 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
Quote:

You do know that the Land Cruiser is a foreign car or more accurately an SUV made from a Japanese company, which typically have made better and more outstanding cars to begin with. That said, I don't doubt that the Land Cruiser has always been the better vehicle when it comes to the quality of the exterior.
Land Cruiser was also probably double the price.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:

what is the difference between cemented and uncemented concrete?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
what is the difference between cemented and uncemented concrete?

It was a metal poll dug into the ground that had cement in it and under it as well. In a nut shell, the poll was made out of cement, but reinforced by metal. My car hit it head on and survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive