Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM

360 posts, read 713,037 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. Ideally, I'd like a 2015 / 2014ish car with under 15,000 miles. My budget is flexible, but would probably want to stay around $20k. I'd prefer a manual / stick shift but would be ok with an automatic if it's a good deal and my choice car.

I'm 6' 3" and currently drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris. I like small zippy cars, but now have a medium / large dog and a serious girlfriend so I need to consider room as well.

Typically, I've always purchase Honda / Toyotas because of their reliability, but am thinking this may give me the opportunity to explore some other brands. I've always liked the idea of potentially driving a luxury vehicle, such as a BMW, Lexus, or Audi.

Also, I really like the idea of going with an electric vehicle. I have a 2 mile commute to work and live in Los Angeles, where there are some good tax incentives. I typically don't go on any road trips over 200 miles, but I'm hesitant to seriously consider one of these, just in case I want the option to drive up to San Francisco, Palm Springs, or San Diego for the weekend.

Lastly, do I buy or lease? I could write a check for a car, but I feel like since cars are changing so quickly these days, the resale value in 5 years won't be much and I might be better off leasing? Thoughts?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by iama30something; 07-05-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 03:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. Ideally, I'd like a 2015 / 2014ish car with under 15,000 miles. My budget is flexible, but would probably want to stay around $20k. I'd prefer a manual / stick shift but would be ok with an automatic if it's a good deal and my choice car.

I'm 6' 3" and currently drive a 2008 Toyota Yaris. I like small zippy cars, but now have a medium / large dog and a serious girlfriend so I need to consider room as well.

Typically, I've always purchase Honda / Toyotas because of their reliability, but am thinking this may give me the opportunity to explore some other brands. I've always liked the idea of potentially driving a luxury vehicle, such as a BMW, Lexus, or Audi.

Also, I really like the idea of going with an electric vehicle. I have a 2 mile commute to work and live in Los Angeles, where there are some good tax incentives. I typically don't go on any road trips over 200 miles, but I'm hesitant to seriously consider one of these, just in case I want the option to drive up to San Francisco, Palm Springs, or San Diego for the weekend.

Lastly, do I buy or lease? I could write a check for a car, but I feel like since cars are changing so quickly these days, the resale value in 5 years won't be much and I might be better off leasing? Thoughts?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
If you believe that then that's a good reason not to lease.

I'd recommend a Honda CRV or Mazda CX5 for you.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Electric vehicles most likely won't exist in your year/price range. There are some hybrids within your range. I'd consider a bicycle or scooter for your 2 mile commute. Within your year/price range there are plenty of small hatchback cars. Which one is right for you depends upon your needs and taste. I'd say look at all available including Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Mazda3, Subaru Impreza, Chevrolet Sonic, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra GT, Kia Forte5, Kia Rio5, VW Golf, and Mini Cooper.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:56 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
keep purchasing Honda/Toyota. If you really want to splurge - new girlfriend, you know - get Lexus.

Always remember - you marry looks, you live with reliability. Also, resale is a breeze for Toyotas.
If you MUST have a larger car get manual Subaru.
Nothing outside of manual Civic or Corolla will give you a decent mpg for those short trips anyway.
2 miles..... I'd do bike or scooter.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
my choice the crv but some do have a bad vibration also the new Honda hrv new with your choice of whatever. The civic is soon to come out with the hatch made in England

Old 07-05-2016, 05:06 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Honda CRV is an excellent vehicle. The problem with Audi and BMW is maintenance costs, way over priced parts and labor rate.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM

802 posts, read 1,368,193 times
i would recommend to lease the car.
you can lease brand new CR-V base for about $250 a month with 0 down
how much are you willing to pay monthly?
stay away from german cars if you care about reliability and maintenance costs.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:17 PM

360 posts, read 713,037 times
Thanks all for the replies. What about a Toyota Prius?

Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Thanks all for the replies. What about a Toyota Prius?
Very reliable, great leg room front and back, very poor acceleration. Not to mention diesel truck drivers love to "roll coal" when passing a Prius.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Getting a 1 to 2 year old cuv for less than $20K is going to be difficult unless it is the base model. Forget luxury, not gonna happen at the price for that age of vehicle. You might be able to get a new Prius C or a Honda Fit or even a base HRV for less than $20k. All electric, not gonna happen for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive