Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 AM

307 posts, read 364,076 times

Advertisements

I have a 2006 BMW 325i which I have made up my mind to sell this year. However, I'm faced with a choice of selling it as-is, leaving all the repairs that need to be made to the car, or making the repairs, then selling it. It would have been an easy choice for me except that I only have $4000 dollars. The 4000 dollars is the money I intend on using to buy the cheaper replacement car (mazda, kia, e.t.c)

If I make the repairs, which could cost as high as $3500 no money would remain to buy the replacement car.

If I do not make the repairs however, it would be extremely difficult to sell the BMW as the work needed on the car is significant ( passenger-side fog light has to be replaced, window regulators need to be repaired, also the lower radiator covering grill needs to be replaced as well).

Keeping the car is not an option, as it will inevitably cost me close to $2500 in maintenance, same as it did last year and the year before. The car still has like $7500 left to be paid on it.

Mileage: 115,757

Help !! What are your suggestions on how I should handle this. I'm actually a novice in this as it is the first time I'll be selling a car with the payments still remaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 AM

21,921 posts, read 25,248,755 times
It's going to be next to impossible to sell it anyway. You're upside down on it anyway even before the repairs, so you can't really trade it in unless you roll over the negative equity at a dealer. Buy now and I'll send you the title when I pay it off but I don't have the money to pay it off never works well private party. I'd leave it alone or trade it in and eat shirt. That or just keep it and learn how to turn a wrench. Replacing the window regulators isn't that hard to do and will run around $125/window if you use OEM parts. Ignore the cosmetic stuff like the fog light.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,332,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's going to be next to impossible to sell it anyway. You're upside down on it anyway even before the repairs, so you can't really trade it in unless you roll over the negative equity at a dealer. Buy now and I'll send you the title when I pay it off but I don't have the money to pay it off never works well private party. I'd leave it alone or trade it in and eat shirt. That or just keep it and learn how to turn a wrench. Replacing the window regulators isn't that hard to do and will run around $125/window if you use OEM parts. Ignore the cosmetic stuff like the fog light.
This is spot on. Learning how to do some of the repairs yourself will not only save you some $$$ now but also in the future on other cars. I don't know how to do a ton, but the stuff I do know saves me $$$ every year. Fixing the windows isn't hard at all and you only need a select few things to do so. YouTube is a good place for tutorials!

You're pretty much stuck. If you really feel you MUST get rid of the car, trade it on, take a negative loss and enjoy the newer car

Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post

If I do not make the repairs however, it would be extremely difficult to sell the BMW as the work needed on the car is significant ( passenger-side fog light has to be replaced, window regulators need to be repaired, also the lower radiator covering grill needs to be replaced as well).

Keeping the car is not an option, as it will inevitably cost me close to $2500 in maintenance, same as it did last year and the year before. The car still has like $7500 left to be paid on it.

Help !! What are your suggestions on how I should handle this. I'm actually a novice in this as it is the first time I'll be selling a car with the payments still remaining.
I'd at least make an attempt to do the repairs yourself as you'll save much money and perhaps end up keeping the car..Out of curiosity how did all 4 window regulators fail?the radiator grille and fog light are just cosmetic repairs and can be done in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...dow+regulators

Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,750,257 times
Quote:
I have a 2006 BMW 325i which I have made up my mind to sell this year. However, I'm faced with a choice of selling it as-is, leaving all the repairs that need to be made to the car, or making the repairs, then selling it. It would have been an easy choice for me except that I only have $4000 dollars. The 4000 dollars is the money I intend on using to buy the cheaper replacement car (mazda, kia, e.t.c)

If I make the repairs, which could cost as high as $3500 no money would remain to buy the replacement car.

I wouldn't call those "significant". Just had the window regulators changed on my dads 2004 325i. Local shop and $200 later it was fixed. The part itself is actually pretty cheap aftermarket ($25 I think) if you go the DIY route. The other two things you mentioned don't sound like it would be any more expensive to replace.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:20 PM

19,107 posts, read 27,702,597 times
I see no $3500 repair in what you mentioned. You are not in Seattle area by any chance? I could hook you up with a VERY decent guy.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,612,911 times
Get a Hyundai next time. Much less expensive to buy and as many, if not more, features the high end European cars have. And much cheaper to fix, if they ever break down. Even though I could afford to buy a BMW/Benz/Audi, I have no interest in paying so much for a car that will lose half its value in five years and will become a maintenance nightmare.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,603,090 times
Take it to Carmax and see what they would give you and use that as a base line as to what you will do with it. I agree that replacing the parts you mention can be done if you are a little mechanically inclined. Just pull up youtube.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM

7,208 posts, read 9,363,050 times
I'd take to a BMW dealer and see what they would give you for it. They can do the repairs at their cost.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Quote:

Hey bro those aren't hard to do. You can get a used headlight or buy a aftermarket set.
Window regulators are a bit of a pita but they aren't insurmountable either.
The lower grille should be a snap in maybe a couple of screws affair. I know there are body shops that advertise complete bumper repair $300 any car.

If those are your issues fix it and drive it.

Did you get these quotes from the dealer or something? Because they seem really high IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive