Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new Dodge Grand Caravan 2016 SXT. For some reason there is a fragrance coming out of the vents. Heat & AC. Thought maybe factory or dealer put in a cabin air filter Fresh Breeze or regular car freshener. I called Dodge Customer Service 800 number. She said factory does not put anything like that in. Contact dealer. Took in to dealer a day ago. I had them replace cabin air filter with plane one. But still the fragrance smell coming out.
Worst part is I can not use the van, if in there with vents on I get an Asthma attack from the fragrance. Which are my biggest triggers for an attack. Any idea's appreciated.

Last edited by mick7; 04-01-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I certainly understand about the Asthma attack. Air fresheners can do that to me too. That said, our 2015 Grand Caravan did not have that problem, so I'm not sure what is happening.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:44 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Strong perfumy odors trigger migraines in me. I feel for you. I have no idea what you can do next. It doesn't make sense that a factory new vehicle should have something like that in the vents

Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Is there a cabin filter? If so, might be worth swapping that out.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Is there a cabin filter? If so, might be worth swapping that out.
Did you read her post? She already did.

OP the fragrance you're smelling could be the actual new car smell of the plastics, glue, fabric etc. the smell/out gassing could be more pronounced when you turn on the AC/vent. My wife had a BMW that had a funny smell since new for a long time.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,532 times
A refrigerant leak in the AC system? Does refrigerant have an odor? IDK.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Read up on your state's lemon laws for new vehicles. It is unacceptable that your new car can make you ill, and the dealership needs to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I'm not saying that the goal should be to get the van declared a lemon over fresh lemony scent but knowing that they've, say, got three chances to fix an issue can give the dealer incentive to take your concerns seriously and resolve the matter, even if it involves spending a few hours trying to scrub some things unscented with an oversized pipe cleaner.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:09 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Lemon Laws typically specify that the problem with the vehicle meet certain parameters, and those almost always include the following:
  • The dealership has been unable to correct the problem after 3 documented repair attempts.
  • The problem has to be one that "materially affects the safety or the drivability of the vehicle".
While I am very empathetic with anyone who suffers from respiratory problems, I don't think that this situation would satisfy the qualification that the problem must "materially affect the safety or drivability of the vehicle". And, until the dealership has been presented with the problem vehicle on 3 occasions--and has been unable to remedy the situation after those three repair attempts--it is extremely unlikely that any state's Lemon Law will be able to help the OP.

The OP definitely needs to become more familiar with the content of his/her state's Lemon Law, and the same could probably be said regarding those folks who think that the Lemon Law applies to every type of vehicle problem.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:00 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Lemon Laws typically specify that the problem with the vehicle meet certain parameters, and those almost always include the following:
  • The dealership has been unable to correct the problem after 3 documented repair attempts.
  • The problem has to be one that "materially affects the safety or the drivability of the vehicle".
While I am very empathetic with anyone who suffers from respiratory problems, I don't think that this situation would satisfy the qualification that the problem must "materially affect the safety or drivability of the vehicle". And, until the dealership has been presented with the problem vehicle on 3 occasions--and has been unable to remedy the situation after those three repair attempts--it is extremely unlikely that any state's Lemon Law will be able to help the OP.

The OP definitely needs to become more familiar with the content of his/her state's Lemon Law, and the same could probably be said regarding those folks who think that the Lemon Law applies to every type of vehicle problem.
Which is exactly why state lemon laws stink, the dealer gets 3 shots. The only other warranty claim one can use is the Moss Magnuson Act, which must be filed in Federal court.

Dear OP: Tell the dealership you'll tear them up on social media, then file a small claim with the state Attorney General. That threat alone will most likely get you a new vehicle.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Which is exactly why state lemon laws stink, the dealer gets 3 shots. The only other warranty claim one can use is the Moss Magnuson Act, which must be filed in Federal court.

Dear OP: Tell the dealership you'll tear them up on social media, then file a small claim with the state Attorney General. That threat alone will most likely get you a new vehicle.

My car has a fresh smell coming out of the AC vents. Take back the car under Lemmon law. Yeah somehow I don't I see that happening. No that threat alone won't even raise the dealers blood pressure. They are used to crazy accusations by customers. They will make you run through all the legal channels before buying a perfectly good running car back all because it has what is a normal new car smell coming out of the vents. You really think that's gonna fly? If that small a threat easily caused a dealer to take back cars, every d-bag who has buyers remorse would try using lemon law.
Having a new car smell coming out of your new AC vents isn't a cause for lemon law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive