Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times

Advertisements

I will need a new/used car in the next couple of years. In that time frame I will be moving to a new state (retiring). It got me wondering if buying in one state was cheaper than another.
Michigan has a 6.0% sales tax and some higher fees than Ohio which is 5.75 with a little lower fees.

So sales tax on a 30,000 purchase is a difference of 75.00 and its probably close to 100.00 in fees?

Not the big savings I was hoping for but I guess I should buy before I leave.

Unless.........cars are cheaper in Michigan in terms of general market price? I have no idea how to check that.

Anyone else near a state line gone over to save a few bucks? Or maybe used an online service like USAA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,846,819 times
You'll still need to pay taxes to the state you are registering it in. I live in MD but bought my car in DE because it was cheaper and in stock. DE has no sales tax but that doesn't benefit me for a vehicle I have to register in MD. So I still payed the DE dealer my MD taxes and registration and went and picked up my MD tags from the DE dealer when they arrived.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Usually makes no difference if not moving.
You still pay all home state fees.

Granted, every state is different.

I have purchased new out of state. They used to want sales tax in purchasing state but that has changed (here). They used to want to deliver the car to home state for a fee. That has changed also.

Just purchased. Get plates/tags/ etc in home state and pick up and drive home. Some states have temporary plates - so just get insurance and drive home. Then pay all sales tax and fees.

If you are just attempting to save a dollar or two, I don't see any advantage to shopping in another state.

I bought a newer used car from a dealer in Ohio once. Mandatory to get a new Ohio title. Then drive home and get home state title. Seems odd to me.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Ive bought out of state frequently if the savings are there. You pay sales tax in the state where you live. Massachusetts is odd.. Dealers cant issue temp plates so they drove my car to New Hampshire.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:48 AM

780 posts, read 2,924,281 times
It has been many, many years since sales tax in Ohio was 5.75%. The lowest-taxed Ohio counties now have a 6.5% sales tax rate; most have 7.5%. Have the car titled in MI.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Normally, to benefit from lower or no tax in a particular state, you have to have state residence established. OR used to have no sales tax on cars, so WA was hording on cars bought there. Then OR said - nope, unless you are OR resident - you pay tax just like anyone else.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
As has been noted, you pay the taxes in your home state regardless of where you bought the car. If you live in Ohio your taxes will the same whether you buy in Ohio, Michigan or New Mexico.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Pretty sure if you buy in metro Toledo, a lot of the new car dealerships will handle the MI registration process. I came very close to buying in Ohio this time and I know people who have, and a Toledo purchase wasn't difficult at all- Toledo people go to Monroe and Ann Arbor all the time.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,062 times
From private sellers, yes. If I want it, I'll go get it.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
you can really only save significantly if buying / moving to / from a sales tax free state and buying something of high value... .

I am in a high tax state that allows you to import a car tax free if you are first time moving to WA and have owned it for 6+ months. Oregon and MT (sales tax free) are next door, so retirees moving to WA from those states (or who have LLC's in tax free states that hold ownership of their cars) can bring their 'new car' into WA AFTER they have owned it 6 months. (Only when moving to the state... NOT as a resident)

States are pretty picky about their revenue, so follow the rules! Some states have a value based registration fee on vehicles. If you retire to those states, you should drive a beater! (I do... 39 yr old car... cost me $35... gets 50 mpg on free fuel (WVO) good plan for this early retiree)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive