Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

I'm a long time customer of Rock Auto and their prices and shipping have always been ok. I recently placed a $500 order with them and didn't need an oil pump I ordered, so I got a shipping label from them and sent it back. The oil pump was $80 and they mistakenly issued me a $30 credit memo for a WATER PUMP. When I emailed them about it, they insisted I had sent back the water pump and made me feel like I was being called a liar.

I sent them pictures of the water pump I kept and the box it came in, and they agreed I was correct. Today I got the credit for the oil pump, look at the ridiculous restocking fee they hit me with:

Store Credit

Amount (USD): $38.29
Code: SC3A64
Expiration: 09/06/2017

Refunded Items

SEALED POWER Part # 22443498: Part: $80.79 - Re-Stocking Fee: $36.79 = Total: $44.00
ReturnLabel: - Return Shipping Deduction: $5.71

Out of an $80 part, I got less than half back. But here is the kicker, they did not charge a restocking fee for the incorrect return, so what they are doing is just sticking it to me because I complained.

Throughout this ordeal, they were extremely rude and non caring when we talked or emailed. They have zero customer service skills and frankly, just do not care if you come back or not.

Just thought I should warn anyone thinking of going there. You might save a few bucks, but that is the only thing you get when you shop there.

I was getting ready to place a $1000 order for a complete new ac system for my Mustang project, but they will not see a dime of that order now. I am going to give them a chance to do the right thing, otherwise I will file a suit in small claims court here. Not so much the money but the principle.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Thanks for the warning. I'll never order from a company that charges a restocking fee as they are a rip off. Sounds like they are one to definitely avoid.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
They have always been ok, but I guess that was when they were taking my money. Now that they had to give some back, they were really horrible to deal with. Never seen a company so insensitive to good customer service in my life. Their "customer service" people were not just unpleasant, they were outright rude and better than me.

Another problem with RA is that they do not have any stores or inventory themselves. They are strictly an internet computer based company. When you place an order with them, they place an order with the manufacturer or vendor, and they drop shop it to you.

If they think I am going to go away quietly, they really don't know me very well.

Don

Old 09-07-2016, 06:21 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Have you saved that $36 over the years by shopping with them versus the auto parts stores?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I've had the same problems with them. A few years back, I ordered a set of coil packs to put on an Expedition that I was getting ready to travel 11 hrs in. I had two go out that morning so I jumped online and placed the order. I paid a ridiculous amount for overnight shipping (was still cheaper than a local option) and had 2 days before I had to leave so figured I had time. Shipping was guaranteed by 10:30am the following morning. At 6pm that evening I still hadn't received them. When I called their customer service line, I was told that they hadn't shipped out and would be shipping the following morning and that overnight shipping was guaranteed from the time they got to the order, not when it was placed.

I requested a cancellation and literally spent two hours on the phone arguing with the CSR because they said it was being picked. During that time I had driven to the local part store, bought the coils locally and driven back home and was already in the process of swapping them out.

They told me the order had cancelled, but when I got home from vacation guess what sat on my front porch? I called and they said that it was cancelled and had me ship the parts back. I ended up calling again to get the charge reversed but eventually they did after another hour long argument. I too will never buy from them again.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
That sucks. I've used them for years and never had an issue. Had to call them when they kept sending me a passenger side caliper when I needed drivers. Sent em pics, they sent out 2 more calipers, same thing, finally got it sorted out and never spent a dime on shipping other than my initial purchase. Was pretty happy with that.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
I don't see the appeal of Rock Auto....I find Amazon Prime to far superior.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I don't see the appeal of Rock Auto....I find Amazon Prime to far superior.
$99/year. Big difference.

I have never had to do a return yet so don't know about their customer service.

I do like their selection and prices. I don't like their online ordering system is though. You really have no idea what warehouse an item is shipping from so you are playing roulette when ordering multiple items hoping they all come same warehouse to reduce shipping costs. If you order 5 items and all 5 come from different warehouses you'll pay through the nose for shipping.

Otherwise you really can't beat their prices and selection for most items.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I have Prime anyhow for other things, so I don't factor that cost in to purchasing parts. I typically use Rock Auto to look up part numbers, then go to Amazon and search that part number and buy there. Prices have been very comparable between RA and Amazon when doing it that way. Definitely much more convenient and reliable than RA in my experience.

For example, I needed a MOOG tie rod end for my Ram 2500 and RA listed it at $51 plus ground shipping. I bought the same part number from Amazon for $54 with free 2 day shipping.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:02 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I've bought items from them just not lately.

What I most often do is buy online and pickup locally at Advance Auto and if you do that you usually get anywhere from 20% to 60% off the store price by entering coupon and discount codes and you just drive over and pickup the item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive