Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times

Advertisements

I haven't figured out how to turn the Ac off in my 2016 Lexus ES350. In the cooler fall days all I want is to pull in outside air but I whatever I do the AC remains on. Did some reading and it appears that all you can do is set the temperature. The air still has to go through the climate control system which decides what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I haven't figured out how to turn the Ac off in my 2016 Lexus ES350. In the cooler fall days all I want is to pull in outside air but I whatever I do the AC remains on. Did some reading and it appears that all you can do is set the temperature. The air still has to go through the climate control system which decides what to do.
Just go into the customizable screen in the menu display system and set the AC from auto to off. Some vehicle has the physical button to do this while other put it inside the menu system.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
My Toyota has the annoying feature of having the A/C cycle on and off automatically if i have the air vents set to window defrost position.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:32 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Toyota has the annoying feature of having the A/C cycle on and off automatically if i have the air vents set to window defrost position.
Most cars turn the AC on automatically when the window defrost mode is selected. The goal is the get rid of the moisture on the inside of the car and window.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Just go into the customizable screen in the menu display system and set the AC from auto to off. Some vehicle has the physical button to do this while other put it inside the menu system.
Thanks, I still have to do a lot of digging. I don't think there is a perfect menu. I can go along with the logic of fully automated system but so far I haven't seen the AC ever go off by itself.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:41 AM

505 posts, read 848,413 times
Take the system off the AUTO setting. Modern climate control systems always keep the A/C on unless you override it and go manual.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Take the system off the AUTO setting. Modern climate control systems always keep the A/C on unless you override it and go manual.

^^

Correct. That's why it's call AC auto and AC off. You put it ON if you want the system to mange the computer programmed logic in when to turn on/off the AC.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:28 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Just because the a/c light is lit up/displayed in an automatic system doesn't mean that it is actually engaged. Just that the computer is allowed to use it when necessary to meet the requested temp.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Just because the a/c light is lit up/displayed in an automatic system doesn't mean that it is actually engaged. Just that the computer is allowed to use it when necessary to meet the requested temp.
Good point, if true. Mine says AC ON all the time. There is no specific AC AUTO mode in the Lexus. I understand I can turn it off by digging in the menu.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Modern climate control systems in cars work this way. If the temp is above 50 the A/C is on. What it does is run it through the air conditioner first to remove moisture, then it will heat the air to the desired temp. So if it's 60 outside and you have the temp set to 70, it will cool the 60 degree air down to about 50 and simply blow the cold air if the temp is above 70. Once it gets below 70 it will warm that refrigerated air to the desired temp. This ensures full removal of humidity.

When the temp is below 50, the air compressor could freeze up if it operated, so air is simply heated, but at that temp the dewpoint is usually low and the air dry anyway. If the temp in the car is lower than the desired temp, it is simply heated to the desired temp. If the temp is higher than the desired temp, outside air is filtered in until the desired temp is reached. At these low temps, even if you put the A/C on, it will not run. You will feel cold air coming from the vents but that's outside air.

I think you should just let the AUTO be on and let the temp be controlled that way. The old method was never comfortable, this method is always comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive