Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

When I sold cars I worked with a guy who had been in the business 30+ years all over the country. He told the story of a known "shady character" who wanted to pay cash for a new car with cash he had made under the table. When he was informed that cash sales transactions over $10,000 had to be reported to the IRS, hed financed the car and paid the note off in cash right away.

So, yeah, it can be done, just make sure there's no pre-payment penalty as others have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,629 times
How about just paying your monlthy fee for the first 2 or 3 months then paying it off.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah with loans from a credit union coming in at 1.49% it can definitely make sense to pass up the 0% and take the incentive instead. Even with the cash on hand, that is better served in investments with rates this low.
Not necessarily. Investing in the stock market with borrowed money and pulling a payment out each month will result in depletion of the portfolio before the loan is paid a surprisingly high percentage of the time, due to sequence risk.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
To further clarify, yes the rebate is tied to dealer financing. I am playing the dealers against each. I have it narrowed down to 2 dealers.

In my state, I have 3 days to cancel the loan, no fees or penalty.

I originally told the dealers I already have financing, but I'd be open to dealer financing if it lowered my bottom line. Then both mentioned an incentive that's worth $500. Then it got interesting b/c they started cutting other costs. One guy said if I did the dealer financing, not only would I get the rebate, but he'd give me an additional $200 off (so a total of $700 off), then they started offering me other stuff. I'd already negotiated pretty good deals to begin with (and I did my research) so these are great deals.

My point is that I though it would just qualify me for the dealer-financed rebate, but it is starting to snowball a little.

BTW, I've bought both new and used cars. The new car buying experience is about 100 times easier and far more pleasant. I am doing far more negotiating from my laptop (and having more success) over the new car than I ever did for used.

Also, the new cars are, in many cases, only costing a few thousand more than what I was willing to spend on a used. When I factor the difference over the time I plan to owe the vehicle it makes the new car a no-brainer.

I was also surprised about insurance costs. My new car is not going to be nearly as expensive to insure as I'd feared.
Depending on which state you live in, another thing to consider between new vs used is the tax. Obviously sales tax will be cheaper on a used car with a lower purchase price, but some states also have excise or personal property tax. In MA we get hit with a ~$800 excise tax the first year on a typical new car. It goes down every year after that, so buying a 3 or 4 year old used car could end up saving you a few extra grand on sales tax and excise tax. CT is even worse. I'm only saying this because I noticed you're on the East coast and many of the states here have taxes on personal vehicles. Whether or not the tax goes down every year like it does in MA, I do not know but I figure it couldn't hurt to mention it to you. This is one of the reasons why you see so many old cars on the road in MA and CT, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive