Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:48 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,768,889 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of used cars for sale that were rentals. Is it a good idea to buy one of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,233,997 times
as with any "used car", condition is paramount and the price should reflect that.

a pre-buy inspection buy a knowledgeable tech familiar with the car make/model is always advisable. If you don't have the ability to do so yourself, then you need to seek out the services of someone who can do this for you. What you need to know is the current condition of the car so that you can make an informed purchase decision.

keep in mind that what your are purchasing is the remaining economic service life of the vehicle.

it is entirely possible that a car "used for a rental" has been well maintained and has a lot of service life left in it, just like any other used car ... or maybe it hasn't. In the same way, privately owned cars may ... or may not ... have been well maintained and the miles put on them with care.

Best to begin your selection process by seeking out the car makes/models that are known to deliver high mileages without typically needing major repairs.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:41 AM

7,199 posts, read 9,346,265 times
I considered buying a used rental Toyota Corolla for my daughter. Hertz had a 2 year old Corolla LE with 47K miles for $12.5K

However, when you realize that the car had likely been rented to about 50 customers and had its seats adjusted that many times and perhaps it had been maintained or perhaps its oil had just been topped up, there is a lot of uncertainty there.

I also think that a rental car can be subject to abuse, although I'd worry more about a Mustang GT than a Corolla.

Instead of going for the used Corolla, we opted to buy a new 2016 Elantra through Costco for just $15K. That car has better features than the Corolla, and is rated higher by Consumer Reports so for the extra $2.5K she got a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and a new car with zero wear.

We also were worried that so many of the used cars available had been brought in from recently flooded areas such as Houston and New Orleans. Furthermore, many of the low mileage used cars had been wrecked and repaired. We decided to avoid those risks.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:46 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,587,578 times
In a word NO.

Because it was owned by a rental company you can bet it has lots of miles
Because it was driven by many drivers some were undoubtedly abusive
Because maintenance is an expense you can bet the bare minimum was preformed.
Because professionals are selling the car you will likely not get a price reflective of it's worth, when you are done with it there will be no value and the junkyard will be it's next stop.

Why not buy the same car from a single owner in good condition ? If you can't find that widen your search and be more patient.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:48 AM

279 posts, read 357,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I also think that a rental car can be subject to abuse, although I'd worry more about a Mustang GT than a Corolla.

I'm hard on my own vehicles, rentals worse. I don't think I'd buy one I've rented.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:10 AM

990 posts, read 2,560,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvarkansas View Post
i see a lot of used cars for sale that were rentals. Is it a good idea to buy one of these?

no!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
My Sonata was a rental and I've never had a problem with it (besides manufacturer defects). I use the 15k miles per year rule, a two year old car should not have over 30k miles, I don't care if it was private owned or a rental. Just make sure it's under manufacturers warranty, any issues will be taken care of.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I considered buying a used rental Toyota Corolla for my daughter. Hertz had a 2 year old Corolla LE with 47K miles for $12.5K

However, when you realize that the car had likely been rented to about 50 customers and had its seats adjusted that many times and perhaps it had been maintained or perhaps its oil had just been topped up, there is a lot of uncertainty there.

Instead of going for the used Corolla, we opted to buy a new 2016 Elantra through Costco for just $15K. That car has better features than the Corolla, and is rated higher by Consumer Reports so for the extra $2.5K she got a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and a new car with zero wear.

We also were worried that so many of the used cars available had been brought in from recently flooded areas such as Houston and New Orleans. Furthermore, many of the low mileage used cars had been wrecked and repaired. We decided to avoid those risks.
All great points...

Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,585,815 times
i think after about 50k miles they may not be under warranty so the agency would want to sell them rather than rent them.

if you can get a good deal on relativly low miles, why not ?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:29 AM

19,084 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I see a lot of used cars for sale that were rentals. Is it a good idea to buy one of these?

NO.

This also is routinely discussed here every few months. Maybe try Search?
Rental car is rental car, no matter how well fleet manager maintained it. People don't give RA about those cars when they rent them. They gun them, eat inside, spill drinks, smoke, and have all other kinds of activities that maybe show in UV light only.
Why would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive