Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,758,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Curious as to what you suppose would be a charge for falling asleep? I was charged with Inattentive Driving - think about it - and not wearing a seatbelt. I'm not sure what else applies...?

My husband wasn't charged with anything. He didn't hit anyone and no one hit him. He just simply fell asleep due to being over worked and jet lag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,947,292 times
Been in 3 that could have been life threatening...

First one I was 4 years old and we were driving in a new 1961 Oldsmobile.. Guy ran a red light and T boned us at about 50 mph.... Parents went to the hospital with cuts and cricks.. I was thrown from the backseat to the front but was ok.. Both cars totaled.. Guy was drunk....

Second one I was in a friends 1964 Fairlane (was in high School at the time) and got hit on the passenger side rear quarter by a 1971 Plymouth Fury (BIG CAR compared to the Fairlane)... The guy who hit us was going about 50... Flipped our car end over end 7 times and then spun a bunch before coming to rest on the grass of the Public School Admin building.... Ripped the Driver out of his seat belt and I got a cut from the window breaking.... I walked the 1/4 mile to school to finish the day....

Third time - Same friend only this time we were in a 1970 Mercury Comet.. Was being let off in front of the school when another student who was off on Senior ditch day and was loaded came flying around the corner in a 1970 Dodge Monaco... He hit us so hard that it moved the steering column 2 inches to the right.. NOT the dash just the column.... I hit my head on the metal window frame and put a 1/2 in dent into it.. The driver had to crawl over me to pull me out and get the other people out of the back seat.... I went to the emergency room and satyed home from school and work for a few days.....

Old 10-15-2016, 02:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,203,092 times
No, though my mom has. Totaled my 2008 Honda Accord sedan on April 22, 2013 at about 8 am when she was t-boned right in the driver's door at 40 mph by a 2005 Chevy Impala. She walked away with a couple of bruises, one from the seat belt pretensioner. At the time, I had the only car in the family with side airbags, and I'm glad she was driving my car because the side and side curtain airbags really helped her out. She said her head actually bounced off the side curtain airbag. The front airbag didn't deploy. She crawled over the center console area and walked out. Despite the severe impact, the side window wasn't even broken; the firefighters broke it, they were going to use the Jaws of Life. They actually said "get another car just like that one." Here's some pictures of the totaled Accord, as well as some pictures taken in May 2012 when the car was in one piece:https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmyy...57629672457862

When I got that car (my first car) on May 4, 2012, I said in no uncertain terms that I would not drive a car without side airbags. I really liked the 2008 and newer Accords for their reliability, comfort, and of course safety. An '09 Accord had saved a friend's life on March 16 of that year, she hit a Ford Escape that pulled out in front of her on the front left quarter panel at about 40 mph and walked away. In that crash, the front airbags deployed. She was 5'2 or so, had her seat close to the wheel and the inflating airbag didn't even injure her. I know my airbag won't hurt me - I'm 6'0 and sit farther from the wheel, and have the same airbag!

I was off at university at the time and didn't have my car on campus, I had just gotten my license the previous July 30 (at 19 years old). I was an engineering major doing poorly, by that time it was known that I would be leaving that university on May 8, 2013 at the end of the school year and going to community college. Changed my major to journalism, and the rest is history. Now I go to WKU and am a senior, graduating in 2018!

She drove a 2003 Corolla at the time and almost never drove my car, but she did that day because trash day is Monday where I live and the trash can was blocking her Corolla in. My dad called me that evening and told me what happened, he said that my mom had totaled the car. I immediately asked if she was okay, he said that the airbags worked and my mom was at home, very upset she had totaled my car. I wasn't upset, I was just grateful that Accord had saved her life. You can replace a car but you can't replace a mom. She now drives a 2013 Honda CR-Z, it has side airbags and great crash test ratings. My 2008 Accord got replaced by a white 2011 Accord on May 4, 2013.

The white Accord is still going strong at over 94,000 miles. It had a close call on November 12, 2014, an early '90s Toyota pickup pulled out in front of me and I had to almost go off the road just to barely swerve around it.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 14,800,850 times
Pre seatbelt and airbags. Run off the road into a tree. Driver (guy) breaks 3 ribs, overall contusions. Girl in front, face hits windshield. Smashed up and cut face (bad) plus overall contusions. Me in left rear, broken ankle and contusions. Girl in right rear, broken leg and contusions.

All in the car except myself were married and nobody in the car was married to anyone in the car. Driver ended up getting divorced over it. Do not know what happened to the girls. I collected $1,500 in insurance.

The guy and I were in the US Navy. We stumbled back to base and individually claimed we had fallen and injured ourselves. We skated on that one.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,971,600 times
Just remembered the "worst" crash ever.

I was at a Pep Boys buying car stuff when there was a horrendus crash outside. We all ran into the parking lot. One of the mechanics (about to be ex machanic) was speeding backwards in the parking lot at about 30 mph in like a Buick and t-boned a parked Porsche Carerra (this was a long time ago) squishing it under a truck parked beside it. The bottom of the truck just sort of peeled the top over and crushed all the glass, and both sides of the car was mashed.

The Porsche owner was in the store buying stuff for his BRAND NEW car with TWELVE miles on it! He came out and just fell to the ground. It's so sad watching a grown man cry.

And that is why I nearly always park in a defensive position. LOL

Old 10-15-2016, 09:20 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,324,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Just remembered the "worst" crash ever.

I was at a Pep Boys buying car stuff when there was a horrendus crash outside. We all ran into the parking lot. One of the mechanics (about to be ex machanic) was speeding backwards in the parking lot at about 30 mph in like a Buick and t-boned a parked Porsche Carerra (this was a long time ago) squishing it under a truck parked beside it. The bottom of the truck just sort of peeled the top over and crushed all the glass, and both sides of the car was mashed.

The Porsche owner was in the store buying stuff for his BRAND NEW car with TWELVE miles on it! He came out and just fell to the ground. It's so sad watching a grown man cry.

And that is why I nearly always park in a defensive position. LOL
Poor guy. He probably still had the dealer plates on it too. Look at the bright side, at least he was still in the store getting ready to buy his cars stuff rather than having it all paid for and walking outside seeing it happen in front of him with his bags in his hand LOL. Is it too late to return all this stuff?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times
1984 Memorial Day weekend, going into my senior year of high school. Driving my 1975 Ford Pinto, coming home from BMX track practice, downshifted into 3rd while going into a corner, then floored it to hear the exhaust baaaaaaaap, and I didn't notice the sand on the road. Wound up spinning and hitting a tree head-on.

I went through the windshield but fell back in the seat. My boyfriend broke his elbow when he shielded his face. I remember him looking at me and then telling me to stay put and he ran to the church to get help. They called an ambulance and the minister came out to sit with me, and they wouldn't let me get out of the car. I kept telling them that I was fine; I could feel sweat pouring down my face and I needed a towel. When it got in my eyes, I wiped it and couldn't understand why it was red. It just didn't compute.

Turns out, when I went through the windshield, it snatched my hair and scalped me from the bridge of my nose to above the hairline on my forehead. Also had a broken jaw (the steering wheel was bent forwards), terrible bruising on my knees (steering column) and bruises on the back of my right arm and shoulder (my Mongoose BMX bike was in the back and it flew forward, bending the handlebars & frame).

A couple of days later, we went to the junkyard and saw the car. I sat in the front seat in awe at the damage. That's when I noticed my hair dangling from the windshield, with a weird-looking dried-up potato chip thing hanging at the end. It was my skin.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:17 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,762,229 times
I flipped my car in a drainage ditch by a corn field, got pinned between the head rest and the roof. There were a lot of little things, had they played out differently that could have ended up killing my. If I hadn't worn my belt I could have been thrown or crushed, if the car landed a little differently I might have been crushed, if it had rained the night before I could have drowned.
Now that I'm thinking about all this it's getting me a little freaked out, guess I am truly blessed to be alive.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,520,934 times
The only wreck I've ever been in someone ran a red light, I saw them not slowing down and floored it. They still clipped me at the bumper and I spun, thankfully no other car was nearby. Car had minor damage, I was fine. I did have an aunt and 2 cousins aged 6 and 4 who were killed in a car crash. For some reason their car crossed the center line and hit a loaded log truck head on. I was 6 at the time and remember all of them had closed caskets, injuries were probably terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive