Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Anyone own a Panamera? I have been looking around, thinking 2011-2012 model years. I was looking at more of a base model just to avoid all the gadgets that break. Went and test drove a 2011, absolutely loved it. The air suspension rode amazing. Just wondering about quality issues, being a VAG brand, VWs and Audis tend to be fairly....expensive to keep running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
As the owner of a 2001 VW (and prior owner of a 1986 Porsche), my VW has been less trouble than my Toyota. My list of issues with the VW is a split vacuum line, worn suspension (car has ~300k miles now though), and my batteries only last about 7 years. :/ The P-car had a few more issues, but nothing onerous (wheel bearings were the worst, but it was a 15 year old car when I bought it too.)

VAG cars have Always been lambasted for being a nightmare to maintain, and I'm sure there's some reality to it but I have to wonder if it's more the Owners of those vehicles who cause the issues. People trying to Kraut (German version of Rice) up the cars and doing more damage than good. I've simply provided simple preventative maintenance, and those others I know who do the same (no real changes, just using the vehicle as delivered) seem to have no issues.

I will caution though, going to a Porsche mechanic is not a cheap venture. Those wheel-bearings were a $120/hour affair back in the early 2000's. You had best be someone comfortable with researching and tackling what issues May come on your own (as well as doing all the preventative). Even with my hefty bill, the mechanics cross-threaded a lug nut and wanted to charge me more to fix their own mistake. This was more or less the last time I let a mechanic work on a vehicle for me. You should have a stellar mechanic already lined up, well vetted by people you trust, to do a pre-purchase inspection on any P-car you may buy. I don't care if the car is at a dealership right now (they don't care about anything more than a profit).

Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Anyone own a Panamera? I have been looking around, thinking 2011-2012 model years. I was looking at more of a base model just to avoid all the gadgets that break. Went and test drove a 2011, absolutely loved it. The air suspension rode amazing. Just wondering about quality issues, being a VAG brand, VWs and Audis tend to be fairly....expensive to keep running.
If you have any budget constaints, you may be in for some discomfort with Panamera ownership. If not, you'll love it!
Maintenance is frequent and expensive. Though the brand is always at the top of the consumer rating(scam) studies, it has more than its share of reliability issues. They are extremely complex, and most repairs should be done at a dealer. Sorry.

Your repair bills will always be $1000-plus. I saw $6-7,000 routine maintenance tickets. Transmissions? Try $20K!
If you think you are going to go to Jiffy-Lube or Pete's garage for maintenance, your ownership experience will be disappointing. They don't have access to the testers or tools.
Accidents involving paint-work kills the resale value (like Ferrari). Drive and park carefully!

Tires are very expensive. They must have the Porsche "p-rating", else performance and handling can't be assured. $300-plus apiece plus balance, etc, etc.
They last 14-19,000 miles, and come in special sizes that are only available in the lawyer-approved brands.
Explain to your insurance agent why you put those Kumho tires on after you have an control-caused crash.
For that matter, check with your insurance agent on rates. Usually about the same as an A8, and less than a Bentley.

Other than that, the Panamera is an awesome, cutting-edge performance car.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
I have seen it too many times. Heck, I've been one of them. Buying a used model you can't afford new. It never ends well. Bought a 7 Series back in the early 2000s that was 5 years old at the time. It was a sparkling gem on the showroom floor. One trouble after another and a mountain of repair bills. Issues nobody knew how to fix, like randomly shutting down.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:30 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
I own a 08 Cayenne that's had tons of problems, and it's mine own fault for it. I'd try to avoid the air suspension, I've had to replace the compressor, lines, and three level sensors so far to the total of about $3k so far (service friend at dealer allows me to supply parts and mentioned a junkyard to buy the compressor at for only $350) You can't find the sensor in aftermarket, doesn't exist. I'd only buy a P-car from a P dealer, and ones that certified. My dealer had a 08 Turbo Cayenne certified this last spring that I was a week too late to buying. If vehicle isn't at a Porsche dealer, pay for said dealer to send it to one for a PPI (this is where I screwed up big time) also, don't ever buy it from Chicago. I'll be at the dealer tomorrow, so I can ask my buddy what common problem 11-13 Panamera's have. If it has a pano roof, make sure to have glass coverage on insurance. I just had mine replaced and it cost me zero, cost my insurance $12k. I just got renewed through USAA, my rates went down. Go to Rennlist or 6speedonline forums and ask. This is where I've gotten tons of info on mine. Prices should be dropping a little for Panamera's as new redesigned model is out this winter or spring.

Last edited by wamer27; 12-01-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Another brand I wouldn't own out of warranty.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Car Reliability Comparisons

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM

311 posts, read 478,175 times
I'll just chime in as a Cayman owner... reliable, but as others have said, you must be comfortable doing some of your own maintenance, unless you have deep pockets. Prices for plugs, oil changes, brakes, etc. are VERY high at the dealer (as a side note, on the Cayman, spark plugs are a fun challenge to do yourself). I would imagine that these prices don't get any lower for a Panamera...

I would try to avoid any bells and whistles on which you absolutely can't defer maintenance / repairs (i.e., air suspension, etc), especially if the car is not CPO or covered by warranty.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Yes I am a fairly heavy DIYer. Swapped the transmission on my current car. Have done pretty much everything you can think of, from AC work to wheel bearings. I'm fine working on cars but don't want a money pit. The biggest concern for me I think is operating costs, not purchase price. I would pay more upfront to have a low mx car. I agree, I am looking at the base models for their simplicity. I knew about the 2017 redesign so am hopeful the current body style will drop in price next year.

As much as I hate to get it, maybe a Lexus is the best option.

I have owned VWs in the past, they are well driving cars but mx on them is a nightmare. Many, many little things break repeatedly, ie window regulators. You might as well keep a few on hand as they go down often.

We looked at the Cayman but aren't impressed. I would probably buy a Touareg over a Cayman if I were even shopping for it.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:28 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
You should always just lease super fancy cars so they are covered under warranty. I am thinking of getting a Maserati or Bentley but just lease it. I have no clue about the Porsche Panamera. I am not a huge Porsche fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive